• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales (The Gatland returns thread)

Welsh Exile

First XV
TRF Legend
Conscious of the fact I could be spamming up other threads so started one for Wales and Gatlands return.

Won't lie, mixed emotions. Think it lacks ambition and if true England are going for Borthwick I really think we're missing a trick not going balls deep for Robertson but WRU will be thinking Gatland is the cheap safe option. As I say, lacks ambition but also happy that Pivac is gone. Overall a bit meh.

I'd also add that Stephen Jones can consider himself very lucky if he's still in a job but sounds like Howley is coming back anyway. Lol.

Same here. Suppose after Pivac I'm still happy with Gats, but would have much preferred Robertson.

At least with Gats we know he'll get selection right and make us competative again. It'll be interesting to see what happend with the backroom staff, some new voices could help to freshen things up from where he left off with Wales. If wellies stays, or Howley returns I'll be very underwhelmed.

Interesting to see how the squad adjusts under him as well. He shifted from Biggar to Anscombe in his final 6n with Wales, and stated him missing the wc was the only time he really missed a player during his reign as welsh coach - suggests he was evolving from warrenball.

his contract goes through 2027?
I've seen it reported as one year as coach then a world cup cycle as DoR
But then ice also seen there's a break clause after this RWC if he doesn't get out of the group, which seems a little odd if he's moving more onto an oversight rather than hands on coaching position post rwc

his contract goes through 2027?
My understanding is that it's a 2 year contract with a break in it after 1 year if we fail to get out of the group. I think the option to extend to 2027 is there but that might also be in a director of rugby capacity. But hey, I'm sure if he wins stuff over the next 2 years they'll probably look to tie him down. The optimist in me likes to think we're keeping it 2 years as Robertson is on the back burner.

Extra motivation for Sexton, Ryan and Ringrose in a potential early banana skin. Grand.

I don't think it was panic which the Choef exec made sure to stress but I do think it was probably Wales' only viable option. If it goes wrong at least its an understandable decision, no one else available right now would have been I don't think.

That's a good pint actually. Undefeated under Gatland over the last 4 years. Have some of that Ireland and France.

cant hold us ryan lewis GIF

Instead the return of the Gats.

look over your shoulder fun GIF by The British & Irish Lions

Damn was so looking forward to him replacing Eddie. 😝

What's up with the Wales region. Is Gatland trying to set up New Zealand North?

Press conference done. Nothing major, just your standard stuff. Main takeaways for me were no decision made yet on back room staff, name checked Anscombe and Morgan (I'm really not sold on Anscombe but maybe Gats can get him closer to the level he was at in 2019) 2027, reading between the lines, sounds like more DoR role but Gats said he's not looking past France next year.

At least it sounds like he's got the abaility to make the changes he wants to make. That hasn't always been the case in the past.

Personally I hope he brings in proven attack and forwards cosches, because both areas are malfunctioning. Defense has been a bit up and down, so Melon may not be safe either if there's someone out there who can do a better job.

On Anscombe, I'm really worried about his pace now, there were times this Autumn that he looked very poor, but was much better v Aus. I'd still like to see Jarrod Evans personally as he's someone who can unlock defenses with his passing game.

..... I really think we're missing a trick not going balls deep for Robertson ....
i guess we dont know they didn't try...but yeah, its a proven route to the AB's job and razzor has reportedly been told he needs international experience

ive seen a few kiwis making comment that theyre fine with a future AB's coach going with someone like Wales or Scotland, japan etc...but england, SA or aussie are just too much of a rival, kiwis dont mind the welsh as a rule

i guess we dont know they didn't try...but yeah, its a proven route to the AB's job and razzor has reportedly been told he needs international experience

ive seen a few kiwis making comment that theyre fine with a future AB's coach going with someone like Wales or Scotland, japan etc...but england, SA or aussie are just too much of a rival, kiwis dont mind the welsh as a rule
If England appoint Borthwick (presumably on a long term deal) then I don't see who else is on the table for him. Potentially Scotland or Australia. Ideal scenario for me is we get him next year or the year after when his contract is up.

If England appoint Borthwick (presumably on a long term deal) then I don't see who else is on the table for him. Potentially Scotland or Australia. Ideal scenario for me is we get him next year or the year after when his contract is up.
and there is a sweet spot of teams that have enough historical clout for NZR to think youve proven yourself...without being seen as a traitor, wales being one

Latest posts