• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs England - 16/03/2013

In all this negativity, I almost forgot to praise the skipper. He has been asked to play a role at 7 that simply doesn't suit him, but he has lead the team superbly well IMO. He runs his blood to water every time he pulls on a white shirt, and I would like to thank him for that.

I concur, he plays the game like a 6 who passes a lot. I don't understand why they persist in saying he plays as an openside.
I hope the Croft contingent have seen his massive shortcomings.

Delighted for Howley and Edwards who took a hammering during bad time and all Welsh seemed to forget the good they've done for Welsh Rugby. Again I can't believe Edwards isn't going to Lions tour

Wales have won the most desirable trophy in world rugby: the TRF International Shield!

Thank god this performance happened in Cardiff, and not in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. People would excuse the poorness of the England team on the superiority of the opposition.

Take no credit away from the Wales, they were superior in pretty much every aspect of the match, and were in truth the best team of a poor 6 nations, but England's defeat wasnt the cliche inexperienced team choking, but poor selection and poor tactics.

Hopefully this takes everyone off the "Lancaster can do no wrong" train. Got figured out by Rob Howley. Nuff said.

Right, only just watched the match. What a waste of my life. Obviously congratulations to Wales. Great, well deserved win for them. At least this game won't have been a complete waste for England and Lancaster. There are a few things that have struck me today.

1. How we could have done with Corbs today. Marler needs to get out until he learns to scrum (saying that, in his England career so far, he hasn't had any impact in the loose either). I couldn't really understand Lancaster's decision to start him over Vunipola after the Italy match. Bizarre.
2. Ben Youngs. Out. I've usually been a supporter of Youngs in times when he's been criticised in the past but enough is enough. I've had it with his bull****. The number of times I shouted at him that game was incredible. Care to start please.
3. Goode is starting to seriously annoy me. He's not really done anything spectacular this 6N (and in the Autumn Internationals tbh...) and I think Brown at 15 would be a far better option, and would allow us to see the best of Brown. Hopefully Foden will be back soon and normal service will be restored.
4. Again with the back three. Even though their anonymity in attack may have been due to a chronic lack of service from midfield, I would love to see Lancaster picking players who are actually on form in the Prem. I'm talking May, Varndell and the like (maybe not Wade quite yet, but hopefulle he will be given at least a go in the Summer).
5. Back row boys weren't great today. I think it's clear we need a bit Morgan/Vunipola in our life. As great a player as Wood is, he just doesn't belong at 8. We want him back on the flank asap methinks. Oh and Croft, I was looking forward to seeing what he might be able to contribute - **** all.
6. Launchbury and Parling are both great players in their own right, but I'm having a slight feeling that our lack of a real 'enforcer' (I know, I hate that phrase too) may be slightly harming us. The trouble is, assuming Lawes is that player, who do you take out...?
7. My faith in Farrell has slowly eroded throughout this championship. That's unfair I know, but I would love to see Burns chucked in there. On the subject of the midfield, I really really really really really really want to see Twelvetrees starting.
8. Lastly, Tuilagi had a darn poor game.

A couple of other points in general:
1. Being honest, I haven't flicked through the past pages so I'm not sure if this has been covered, but should Owens have been pinged for Cuthbert's first try? Not that it mattered one bit in the end.
2. As much as he gets on my nerves, I have to say I thought Mike Phillips had a top notch game today. If he plays like that, i would love for him to start for the Lions. There would be no man better to p*** the Aussies off :D.
3. Scrums this 6N are a joke. Luckily, I could fast-forward through the ones in this game.
4. The general consensus seems to have emerged that Warburton and Tipuric is a great combo for Wales. It's gonna be seriously interesting to see what happens once Lydiate comes in.
5. I think I fancy trawling the last few pages to see if there have been any comments on the game by LargeJanner (or whatever his username is), taking into account the idiotic tripe he posted before this match.

I'm sure, in hindsight, there will be a few things I've written which I will come to realise is knee-jerk, but needed to get that lot off my chest. Congrats if you've managed to get through all of it.

Oh.

My.

God.

Just uhmm....oh - my - God. Yes, that is all...yeh.

I think Farrell actually continued to improve on what he does well today (aside from his poor kicking). Whether that is effective at this level is still not clear, I would suggest it may not be.
Care and Youngs probably flatter to deceive with their strong running games.
We do need Corbs, and we need Rowntree to figure out what Mako is doing wrong and correct it.
Lawes has never been an enforcer, he has never been an agressive player, simply a hard tackler.
We need a tighthead lock.
We generally need to understand that traditional positional schemes (ie Wings/FB's, 6/7/8's etc) are there because they work, don't try and reinvent the wheel.

Right, only just watched the match. What a waste of my life. Obviously congratulations to Wales. Great, well deserved win for them. At least this game won't have been a complete waste for England and Lancaster. There are a few things that have struck me today.

1. How we could have done with Corbs today. Marler needs to get out until he learns to scrum (saying that, in his England career so far, he hasn't had any impact in the loose either). I couldn't really understand Lancaster's decision to start him over Vunipola after the Italy match. Bizarre.
2. Ben Youngs. Out. I've usually been a supporter of Youngs in times when he's been criticised in the past but enough is enough. I've had it with his bull****. The number of times I shouted at him that game was incredible. Care to start please.
3. Goode is starting to seriously annoy me. He's not really done anything spectacular this 6N (and in the Autumn Internationals tbh...) and I think Brown at 15 would be a far better option, and would allow us to see the best of Brown. Hopefully Foden will be back soon and normal service will be restored.
4. Again with the back three. Even though their anonymity in attack may have been due to a chronic lack of service from midfield, I would love to see Lancaster picking players who are actually on form in the Prem. I'm talking May, Varndell and the like (maybe not Wade quite yet, but hopefulle he will be given at least a go in the Summer).
5. Back row boys weren't great today. I think it's clear we need a bit Morgan/Vunipola in our life. As great a player as Wood is, he just doesn't belong at 8. We want him back on the flank asap methinks. Oh and Croft, I was looking forward to seeing what he might be able to contribute - **** all.
6. Launchbury and Parling are both great players in their own right, but I'm having a slight feeling that our lack of a real 'enforcer' (I know, I hate that phrase too) may be slightly harming us. The trouble is, assuming Lawes is that player, who do you take out...?
7. My faith in Farrell has slowly eroded throughout this championship. That's unfair I know, but I would love to see Burns chucked in there. On the subject of the midfield, I really really really really really really want to see Twelvetrees starting.
8. Lastly, Tuilagi had a darn poor game.

1. Being honest, I haven't flicked through the past pages so I'm not sure if this has been covered, but should Owens have been pinged for Cuthbert's first try? Not that it mattered one bit in the end.
2. As much as he gets on my nerves, I have to say I thought Mike Phillips had a top notch game today. If he plays like that, i would love for him to start for the Lions. There would be no man better to p*** the Aussies off :D.
3. Scrums this 6N are a joke. Luckily, I could fast-forward through the ones in this game.
4. The general consensus seems to have emerged that Warburton and Tipuric is a great combo for Wales. It's gonna be seriously interesting to see what happens once Lydiate comes in.
5. I think I fancy trawling the last few pages to see if there have been any comments on the game by LargeJanner (or whatever his username is), taking into account the idiotic tripe he posted before this match.

I'm sure, in hindsight, there will be a few things I've written which I will come to realise is knee-jerk, but needed to get that lot off my chest. Congrats if you've managed to get through all of it.

I think you should

1. Yeah, Owens should have been penalised there. His pressure resulted in the ball spilling out, and he entered off his feet, and possibly from the side. These things do happen every game, just this time it led to a try. Gotta mention Owens though, his impact was immense, as it has been in every game this 6 nations. I am very, very happy with our hookers atm, Hibbard is a physical brute to start, with Owens offering impact from the bench.
2. Phillips was awesome today, but as Davies said post match, he had an armchair ride today, and he's always going to be great behind a pack like that. He offers a huge amount, that's for sure.
3. The scrums might be a joke, but Wales' scrum in the last few rounds has been simply outstanding. There is so much power there, and Hibbard's contribution at scrum time shouldn't be glossed over.
4. I have no idea what Wales will do in the backrow when Lydiate and Ryan Jones are both fit. Today's backrow were phenomenal, absolutely huge, but Lydiate certainly offers something, as does Ryan.
5. No comment ;)

Last edited:
I'm looking at the bright side now. A grand slam/tournament win would have probably meant no changes for the summer. Pressure on Lancaster to change things up. Hopefully the English Sarries-bias has died in Cardiff.

You reckon? I'm not so sure. Fingers crossed though.

The talent is out there, certainly. Just needs bringing in and given the chance or dare I say it, anther chance.

I think you should

I will in a mo'. I expect big things.

3. The scrums might be a joke, but Wales' scrum in the last few rounds has been simply outstanding. There is so much power there, and Hibbard's contribution at scrum time shouldn't be glossed over.

Absolutely, certainly wasn't trying to detract from the Welsh scrum in any way. As you say, they were outstanding today, and have been for the vast majority of the championship. Particularly impressed with Hibbard. Never been truly convinced by him in the past, but he looks the real deal now. Going by this 6N the Welsh front row will most likely start come Lions time.

Last edited:

You were sorely lacking in a decent No. 8 today. Wood just doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard at this level. He got caught out of position a few times today, and missed three tackles as well, unforgivable as a No. 8.

I few years ago, you had a guy called Luke Narraway. He came out to NZ on the 2008 tour, was pretty much your best forward by miles in a sub-standard England team. He was quick around the paddock, had excellent ball handing skills and a good sense of position, didn't miss a tackle in either game, could kick as well. and was up in the top of the running metres behind Topsy Ojo; just the sort of No. 8 that would pretty much be a first choice selection for any Super 15 team. I think he might have played a couple more Six Nations games in 2009, then we never saw him again. How come he fell off the radar at only 26 years old?

You were sorely lacking in a decent No. 8 today. Wood just doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard at this level. He got caught out of position a few times today, and missed three tackles as well, unforgivable as a No. 8.

I few years ago, you had a guy called Luke Narraway. He came out to NZ on the 2008 tour, was pretty much your best forward by miles in a sub-standard England team. He was quick around the paddock, had excellent ball handing skills and a good sense of position, didn't miss a tackle in either game, could kick as well. and was up in the top of the running metres behind Topsy Ojo; just the sort of No. 8 that would pretty much be a first choice selection for any Super 15 team. I think he might have played a couple more Six Nations games in 2009, then we never saw him again. How come he fell off the radar at only 26 years old?

Luke plays n France now after being rejected by England and, as a player in France, will not be considered by England..............strange eh!

It was the ref what did it! Haha..

Jesus christ you red ********!(well done) Ok, I'm quite devastated at that performance, but you know what, not as down as I was last year, when I felt we could have actually won on that occasion.

There's so much to say I'm almst tempted not to start at all.

Firstly, am I the only one on here who spent the entire game fuming in anger at how completely utterly awful Alex Goode is? I think he's one of the worst and most limited players to ever be capped by England repeatedly. Some people were shouting for him to run the ball back more, but why!?! The occasions on which he did, as always, he just danced from left to right but essentially he stayed rooted to the same spot, and by running straight into contact rather than making even a metre gain, he made it doubly hard for his forwards to secure the ball. Quite seriously, I hope he is never caped again and I personally think he'll drift into a Banahan-like oblivion pretty soon.

Ok, so I could ***** about lots of England players' performances, but the biggest criticism to be made is of the coaches mentality:
First, cannot just build a gameplan around defence if it sacrifices ALL your attacking options.
Second, you cannot pick a gameplan first, and then pick the players to make it happen second. International sport HAS to be based on merit, otherwise it just becomes an exclusive club for players who can remain in favour only because they are already in favour, i.e because the coaches see them play more often and will always give them another chance.

Wood's excellent he's just not a number 8.

He's not a number 8 though, at all. He is a 6.
Re Narraway: same old story of form premiership players not being picked.
Morgan and Vunipola are both better than he was.

Luke plays n France now after being rejected by England and, as a player in France, will not be considered by England..............strange eh!

Tony. He only moved to Perpignan this season (was with Goucester for several years before that) but he fell off the England selectors' radar three years ago.

Wood's excellent he's just not a number 8.

Perhaps I should be been clearer. It was his play as a No. 8 that I was commenting on.

And that friend, is a prime example of why English supporters are thought of as arrogant. Our only ambition i Six Nations supremacy. Apparently England are better, because they aspire to better things. So we're god enough to put 30 points on England, but not good enough to get further than them on the world stage?

Latest posts