• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warburton: 20 games a year for welsh players a year

Not to mention the big tax breaks they receive, something we cannot copy in Wales.

True. I don't think its any coincidence that its Ulster, with no tax break, who lose the most talent from the provinces (that, and having spent a lot time being shat)

True, but unlike the top Irish regions, most of the Welsh regions simply don't have the talent in their reserves to be able to rest players without losing points during the season. Leinster on the other hand have depth to the point that their second-team would give the Pro12 a decent go, so rotation comes easy. (Just look at the position they're in despite having missed O'Driscoll for as long as they have.) If the Welsh regions rotate, they lose quality and therefore points. It doesn't matter if you've got fresher players for the playoffs if you're not in them! :p

A fair point, but you only develop these players if you play them. Although the counter-point is that players develop quickest in winning environments. Personally, while I can see the Welsh provinces dipping if going through prolonged periods of rotation, in the long run it would probably help - providing they have the resources to stick out the down period.

Besides, injuries force rotation anyway. And, despite not having the depth of a Leinster, and going through disruptive seasons, all of Cardiff/Scarlets/Ospreys either got to a knockout game this season or look likely to.

Finally - Leinster are f**king freaks, and possibly not the best example. I have an insane amount of respect for Schmidt and their academy. Munster on the other hand, are far more ordinary - but have also done it.

The rest I agree with. (My suggestion to not play internationals was a little tongue-in-cheek. :p) I just think that if players are picking up a wage from their region, they should be playing for their region when necessary.) The WRU need to remember that continued long-term success at international level depends on having successful regions. Given the attendances and interest in Wales for international matches, the WRU must have the money to be able to centrally contract the talent that would be otherwise moving out of Wales. The more talent that is kept in Wales, the more quality they'll have in the reserves to be able to rotate players. Given the amount of international fixtures, and how much of a resource the Welsh players are for the WRU, it seems right that the WRU would contract some players and take some of the burden off the regions.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that the Welsh regions are having a hard enough time as it is without having to fight to make their players actually play for them.

I think central contracting is the logical answer for Wales, and is probably going to happen. It'll protect the players, protect the regions and protect the unions, and the only sticking points is how much the WRU can afford to splash out on it (I seem to recall they've struggled to fill stadiums a few times recently), and whether the regions will wear it - I think the answer used to be no but is rapidly changing to yes. Welsh people, please correct me if wrong on either.

I agree the Welsh regions are having a difficult time of it; I just think not implementing a measure of player welfare will make things even worse, no matter how much sacrifice might be involved.

Central contracts won't happen in Wales. It'll be dual contracts if anything

"Blues chairman Peter Thomas stated last month that, in future, he will not be prepared to pay players while they are away with Wales or any other representative or invitational side." (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...ts-in-bid-to-keep-young-stars-91466-30655887/)

Clubs are fed up with paying as much as they do for international talent, so the WRU needs to get involved with contracting in some manner. Let's wait to see what happens after the report comes out tbh.

"Blues chairman Peter Thomas stated last month that, in future, he will not be prepared to pay players while they are away with Wales or any other representative or invitational side." (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...ts-in-bid-to-keep-young-stars-91466-30655887/)

Clubs are fed up with paying as much as they do for international talent, so the WRU needs to get involved with contracting in some manner. Let's wait to see what happens after the report comes out tbh.

I know it may be annoying, but it's the price you pay for having the best players. Other teams, such as those in France are prepared to pay their players, even when they are on international duty (although they miss less games). The WRU already compensate the regions for the extended periods the players are in the Wales camp, which was something the regions and the WRU agreed upon with the participation agreement, while the rest of the time is officially sanctioned by the IRB.

If the Blues would prefer to lose players of the calibre of Gethin Jenkins because they think it's unfair that they pay him whilst on Wales duty, then they simply lose him altogether when they offer him such a rubbish contract. And where does that leave them? With absolute dross as their starting looshead, much better.

The WRU already heavily bankroll the regions, so if they bring in central contracts or dual contracts, the funding will simply be reduced to compensate, simple. The regions won't be better off, but the WRU will have a little more control over where the money goes.

It's been mentioned by some pundits that the Blues problem isn't just that of a lack of funds. Players don't seem to be happy there. It says a lot when a player like Laulala comes out and calls the entire outfit amateurish. Players like Jon Davies and George North at the Scarlets have pledged their future to their region despite big offers coming from overseas. Why? Because they want to play for the Scarlets, there's a sense of excitement about the future and they want to be a part of that.

Everything Peter Thomas says just sounds like he's only thinking about himself. I know he's put a lot of money into the Blues, but he and the board members around him have made some big mistakes along the way. Was Dai Young the right candidate for the job all those years ago? Not at that stage no, he grew into the job, but should have been learning his trade lower down first. Then the appoint two more amateurs, except this time they appear to be as thick as planks, and have barely any playing experience to fall back upon unlike Young. They've knowingly wasted money by renting two stadiums, then expect their top players to take the hit because of it! It's a complete mess, and I honestly wouldn't blink an eye lid if the WRU decided to abandon the Blues and re-structure things a little, re-incorporating the valleys while they are at it.

Latest posts