• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WCR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Griff@Aug 18 2004, 12:47 AM
I've just come back from the Middlesex sevens at the weekend!

What an event, surely Swordfish can include a Seven a side option!? - And yes I know it will be difficult, as they will have to create a whole new code, but must be worth the effort!!
But then they'd need to create a drunk, naked streaker mode, a mode in which you can watch exclusively from the back of a land rover in the west car park, dress the crowd in three-quarters of the super 12 team's kits even though it's at twickenham, and add a tall ginger bloke who stands up during any gloucester-worcester semi-finals that may occur, and bellows at the top of his voice "I am the Music Man, I come from Far Away....."

Originally posted by robbinho+Aug 19 2004, 09:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (robbinho @ Aug 19 2004, 09:09 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Griff
@Aug 18 2004, 12:47 AM
I've just come back from the Middlesex sevens at the weekend!

What an event, surely Swordfish can include a Seven a side option!? - And yes I know it will be difficult, as they will have to create a whole new code, but must be worth the effort!!
But then they'd need to create a drunk, naked streaker mode, a mode in which you can watch exclusively from the back of a land rover in the west car park, dress the crowd in three-quarters of the super 12 team's kits even though it's at twickenham, and add a tall ginger bloke who stands up during any gloucester-worcester semi-finals that may occur, and bellows at the top of his voice "I am the Music Man, I come from Far Away....." [/b]
F**k it, there's your game. I'd play that endlessly. Robbinho, gerrit copyrighted and the dough will come pouring in.

Sounds as if you were there robbinho. What a day!

Me and my mates were all dressed up as pirates - you might have spotted us!

I may well have done. were you near the roman fellows and batman?

Yep!

All I kept hearing was people singing nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan....batman!

there's not a lot of days out when you can here an adult shout "Caesar, Caesar.... get Batman"

Originally posted by Wally@Aug 24 2004, 07:37 PM
Damn it. Any reason for it never being released?
Yep, they never got round to it.
<

Originally posted by umosay+Aug 24 2004, 08:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umosay @ Aug 24 2004, 08:02 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Aug 24 2004, 07:37 PM
Damn it. Any reason for it never being released?
Yep, they never got round to it.
<
[/b]
That can't be true.
about 2 weeks after I got the game, (which was over a month after the release date in oz) I saw it on the cover of a demo disc in an australian xbox magazine.
<
unless it was just the trailer on it. But I'm sure it said a game between wales and somebody.

Ok, some of these ideas I am repeating, either from www.rugbyforum.tk, or from earlier this post. If it's your idea, I apologize, saying "my" is just a lot easier. Also, while Swordfish did openly say they were making an arcade game with WCR, it has to change. Simulation modes are neccessary for a good game. This wishlist applies to Rugby 2005 aswell.

Presentation/Opening stages
1. Ability to save your preferences. At the moment every time I play I have to say I want 50hz and language (I think that's the other, I just X through it). I would like this to be saved.
2. Camera view that swings behind attacking team.
3. Camera view that stays behind one team. Probably not that great. Well I definitely want the one that swings anyway.

Game Modes
1. Quick game. Any two teams, with most of the details saved in an options menu some where else. No pre match crap.
2. Test Match. Only International teams. A nice intro for the game would be good, teams lining up, warming up etc with team lineups on field. Ability to change all lineups would be good (select from anybody eligible to play for that country), and just default team would be good.

For all of the following I would like to see either Arcade or Simulation modes. Arcade would allow you to play out the games without any management input. Simulation would allow you to select your squad and then team, deal with injuries, suspensions, team strategies etc. Also, for the real tournaments, the ability to play out either the 2005 series or randomized tournament would be good. Selecting the host nation would be nice where appropiate (for example World Cup and custom tournaments).
3. Tri Nations, Six Nations and World Cup (or fictional name equivalents).
4. Super 12, European cup.
5. NPC.
6. Ranfurly Shield. Should be part of NPC, but would be good to just play a game similar to a test where the Ranfurly Shield was up for grabs. This would just be a one off game. The game would have to keep records for this to work well (it would always have to know who the holder was).
7. Currie Cup. I suppose. Personally I don't care about this.
8. Other European comps. I suppose. Personally I don't care about this.
9. Custom league. For any number of teams. Either play out a home and away, or just play each team once, or have a host nation. Knockouts at the end would be good if optional.
10. Custom Cup. Just knockouts. Host nation probably needed.

Laws
1. Bring in shepherding
2. Bring in marks
3. Bring in dangerous tackles
4. Bring in cards
5. Bring in suspensions
6. Bring in holding on
7. Bring in hands in the ruck
8. Bring in other professional fouls

Franchise
I'll go for a process of playing it, as it will show my wish anyway.
1. Pick a provincial team/franchise if wanted. Pick an international team if wanted.. Pick another provincial team if wanted (from a different tier).
eg I pick Chiefs, All Blacks and Bay of Plenty.
2. Select tournaments to participate. Either select real or fictional for each team you have. So all real for 2005 would have you play out the Super 12, Bay of Plenty provincial game vs the Lions, the All Blacks tests, the NPC and then the end of year tests. In 2007 it would be the World Cup in France.

If you choose fictional you could take the Chiefs into a World League (like Rugby 2004) and a World Cup in 2005 hosted by New Zealand. Call off the Tri Nations if you like and take a tour of South Africa. I don't think this would be that complicated. The setting up screens would be something like this:
Screen 1 Pick a team [Chiefs]
Screen 2 Select tournaments to particapate. [Real {2005} games]
Pop up: Would you like another team? [Yes]
Screen 3 Pick a team [Bay of Plenty]
Screen 4 Select tournaments to particapate. [Real {2005} game + Fictional Tournament]
Screen 5 All options of the Bay of Plenty fictional tournament (eg no. of teams, when it begins etc)
Pop up: Would you like another team? [No]
Screen 6 Injuries [Yes] Suspensions [Yes] Game difficulty [Medium] Ability to trade players [Yes] etc... Some of the schedules of your teams overlap. [Allow players to play multiple games per weekend. OR Do not allow players to play multiple games per weekend].
And you're into it. Wasn't that long was it?

Animations
1. Momentum.
2. Tackles on fullas attempting to score tries (different animations from usual ones as they will try to hold them up.

Rucks
1. If there are only players on the ground, the ball should be free immediately, no need to wait for players to form the ruck.

Mauls
1. NO BUTTON BASHING.

Scrums
1. NO BUTTON BASHING.

Lineouts

Back play

Kicking
1. Goal kicking. Keep the ability to move it out. I don't care too much about this, as I'm ok with at the moment, however the view isn't the best.
2. Other kicking. There are 4 available normal buttons at the moment (who needs that many sprint buttons, just let us configure the controls), then +L3+R3+directions of right analog(8) and there are 14 buttons not made use of. A lot. Make use of them.

The Game controls for PS2
General
Left Analog stick - control direction. Push it a small bit for the player to walk, mid way for the player to jog, full on to run.

Attack
L1/R1 Pass left/right. Tap to skip pass. Press it before the next player recieves it to do a fast pass (maybe tap on).
L1->R1/R1->L1 Dummy left/right
L2/R2 Step left/right
L2+R2 Goose step
O Break tackle. Includes fend, drop shoulder, shrug off etc. Depending on the player and the situation will depend on what happens. eg Forward from the ruck will charge and drop shoulder/shrug off. Back on the wing would try and fend.
X - punt. If within 10m of goaline punt should be disabled, and X become the score a try button.
Triangle - up and under/chip and chase (depending on size)
Square - drop goal or grubber if tapped.
Right analog stick - on the fly moves. 8 different directions allow 8 moves to be programmed at once. (I'll use compass directions to make it simple) So if I press NE I could call a player to cut from left to right. If I press NW I could call a player to cut from right to left. N could bring the fullback into the line. With so many buttons and combos backline play would be a lot more fun.

I'd like the have more control in the lineout.

1: Select numbers and people - ie lock at halfback in short lineouts
2: Select who you want to control (ie lock/prop/halfback)
3: Use the directional keys to move around. (ie, if in control of a prop, use the keys to move towards the person your going to lift)
4: Use square to lift the person infront of you, O to turn around and lift the person behind you, triangle to jump and grab the ball, X to jump and tap it backwards.
This would be fun as you could run forward and jump to catch the ball with momentum or run forward then turn around and lift to fool and oposition jumpers.
5: Then swing behind the hooker to see down the channel. Enter a slow-motion type screen in which an arrow swings from your jumpers through to theirs, and you press X to stop it (has to be straight). Decide the speed of the arrow on the hookers accuracy stat.
6: Have a stat for throwing distance, no need to have us control that, make it so a good hooker usually gets the right distance and one with bad stats occasionally overthrough or underthrough.

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Aug 25 2004, 05:59 PM
I'd like the have more control in the lineout.

1: Select numbers and people - ie lock at halfback in short lineouts
2: Select who you want to control (ie lock/prop/halfback)
3: Use the directional keys to move around. (ie, if in control of a prop, use the keys to move towards the person your going to lift)
4: Use square to lift the person infront of you, O to turn around and lift the person behind you, triangle to jump and grab the ball, X to jump and tap it backwards.
This would be fun as you could run forward and jump to catch the ball with momentum or run forward then turn around and lift to fool and oposition jumpers.
5: Then swing behind the hooker to see down the channel. Enter a slow-motion type screen in which an arrow swings from your jumpers through to theirs, and you press X to stop it (has to be straight). Decide the speed of the arrow on the hookers accuracy stat.
6: Have a stat for throwing distance, no need to have us control that, make it so a good hooker usually gets the right distance and one with bad stats occasionally overthrough or underthrough.
Talking about lineouts, rugby 2004 had 2 man lineouts... wtf are they legal!? I never see them!
<
<

Yeah they are legal, I happen to have the law book with line-out section bookmarked just on the shelf next to me so....

Law 19
7a) Minimum. At least two players from each team must form a line-out. (FK)

Just finished reading the thread thinking everything I would like has been covered.....but no. I too have some suggestions.

Original JLR camera angle (Best angle of all time ever!!!)
Bring the JLR default side camera back. The one that followed the play from the sideline which stopped following when play reacher the 22 and turned to the goaline slightly. This gave MORE 3D vision for attack and defence at the goaline as well as creating the TV Broadcast feel. This camera also ZOOMED IN on rucks and mauls and ZOOMED OUT when the ball was passed. It also creeped over the feild when the play was farway for a better view. You were probably enjoying this camera view too much to notice these things when playing JLR.

Passing Anytime from the Maul.
Remember when players in JLR would join the maul and you would wait until the last one or two were almost to the mall and pass it to them, setting them up to barrel forward with fends to set up perhaps another maul? C'mon, I know you remembered....admit it, you loved it!

BUT MY MAIN SUGGESTION IS!!!</span>
In-Play "off the ball control" for attack and defence using PS2 buttons L2 and R2 (sorry XBox but your control pad is a joke).
ATTACK
1. Pass is determined by number of taps on pass button. 4 taps is pass to the 4th guy for example. Leave the holding pass button for off-loads.
2. From the ruck moving RIGHT the L2 calls the next guy out to immediately cut in at an angle, REGARDLESS of the line the guy with ball runs.
3. From the ruck moving RIGHT the R2 calls the next guy out to immediatley run out wide at an angle REGARDLESS of the line the guy with ball runs.
4. From the ruck moving RIGHT the L2 and R2 together calls the next guy out to immediately charge forward in a straight line REAGARDLESS of the line the guy with the ball runs.
5. The second time the L2/R2 buttons are activated calls SECOND guy to run a line. The third time calls the THIRD guy, and so on.
6. The number of times the pass button is tapped determines who will recieve a pass. Timing is also a factor with the pass.
7. From the ruck moving LEFT the buttons are reversed for the desired effect.
Here is an example of what would happen pushing these buttons in less than a second running RIGHT from a ruck.
L2+R2, R2, (pause), L2, (pause), R1, R1
Carlos has the ball from Marshall from the ruck. He turns to face his backline. Carter burst forward short to suck in the midfield defence. Umaga drifts out to draw the defensive outside backs wider. Suddenly Howlett comes off his wing and angles infield behind Umaga and goes for the yawning gap in the midfield, receives the ball from Spencer...TRY!!

DEFENCE
1. L2 makes the defensive line shuffle left.
2. R2 makes the defensive line shuffle right.
3. L2 and R2 makes the defensive line move forward quickly.
4. L1 converts to the next guy left. Successive taps keeps pushing it out
5. R1 converts to the next guy right. Successive taps keeps pushing it out
6. The change player will bring it back to the closest player to the ball carrier.
7. You can change the line movement at any time. When the button is no longer held down the defensive line stops.
An example of a defensive pattern.
L2 and R2 together (hold one second), L2 (hold one second)
The All Blacks rush up off the line, covering and shadowing the movement to the sideline.

<span style="color:purple">You can create your own limitless moves and practice them.

Ammendment (or addition) Sun 29 August 2004 12.05am.
The in-play "play calling" should be activated by the side/angle/direction you are facing (straight forward does not activate a call). This way you can choose either your outsides to run a line or your insides to run a line just by turning to face them.

hmm that sounds like American Footie to me!!

Good ideas, but i'd think its too complicated for the likes of me!!!

I think holding one of the pass button to dummy pass. Release the button pass to nearest guy.

I think it will help breaking through defences & it doesn't matter how long u hold the button down. The ball carrier holds the ball out as if he gonna pass, but carries on running, then pop-pass the ball to the nearest guy to unlock the defence!!

Originally posted by gjohn85@Aug 27 2004, 05:38 AM
Good ideas, but i'd think its too complicated for the likes of me!!!
Yeah, but the good thing is, you could completely ignore these, but for the people who want deeper gameplay it is there.

Originally posted by gjohn85@Aug 27 2004, 05:38 AM
I think holding one of the pass button to dummy pass. Release the button pass to nearest guy.

I think it will help breaking through defences & it doesn't matter how long u hold the button down. The ball carrier holds the ball out as if he gonna pass, but carries on running, then pop-pass the ball to the nearest guy to unlock the defence!!
The dummy only really works in real life, not on a rugby game as when you are controlling the team it is limited micro management due to screen size, pixel resolution, etc and more seeing the bigger picture with positional play. That is why in SJRL we often threw dummies against the computer but rarely against a human player because the player marking the guy dummying did not overbalance himself if he went the wrong way first, unlike real life. Also it is hard to cancel your pass if you are holding down the pass button but want to pass somewhere else. In JLR if we wrongly selected offload and never got tackled we had to either fend or sidestep to cancel doing a pass. Another thing is unlocking defences is attributed more to lines run rather than pop balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.