• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WCR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing a bit of WCR and a bit of SJRL this afternoon and had some thoughts:

WCR has the basics right.
Rugby League (SJRL) has a great running and defensive game.

Line breaks don't come that often in WCR because the animations for tackling is so basic. This isn't good. In SJRL players fall off tackles and it looks good, and you can make good line breaks. A similar system should be in WCR2, where there are multiple tackle animations and players can bust through the middle occasionally.

Having two buttons for tackles is good, but I need more. High, middle and low would be ideal, perhaps with a power button also.

High would have the risk of illegal high tackles, which would be amplified with the use of a power button. The good thing about them is they would result in good driving tackles, excellent for close to the line defence. A good power high tackle would have an increased chance of a turn over. A weak high tackle might turn into a maul. It could also turn into a tackle that drives the opponent back.

Mid tackle would have minimal risk, but little chance of a turnover. Power+mid wouldn't do too much either.

Low tackle could dive at an opponents feet and bring them into touch. The bad side of it is that you could miss altogether. Power+low would increase the power of dragging an opponents feet into touch, but also increase the risk of falling flat on your face.

For games an option should appear in your management screen so you can set how aggressive the team is when you're not controlling them. I get slightly annoyed when an AI member of my team makes a high tackle in SJRL.

Defensive controls (PS2)
Left analog stick move player
L2/R2 switch player left/right
L1 switch too fullback
R1 power shot (must be pressed in combination with one of the below:)
Triangle high tackle
Square medium tackle
Circle low tackle
X sprint

Originally posted by JJ-@Dec 7 2004, 04:14 PM
Low tackle could dive at an opponents feet and bring them into touch. The bad side of it is that you could miss altogether. Power+low would increase the power of dragging an opponents feet into touch, but also increase the risk of falling flat on your face.
low tackles with alot of power cud also drive them bak if they are from front on.. or the more power u get in to a tackle it means the faster u get to ur feet and cause a turn over..
weak tackles just means u get brushed off easier, they shud adopt the madden system, if u time pressing the sprint button correctly it will decide how strongly u go into a tackle, so if its a weak tackle and u time the bump off correctly u will most likely break the tackle... unless its merhtens on jerry collins!

the madden system is quick good for football, if you take a CB or OLB and start sprinting towards a running HB then you'll nail him. In rugby it would be kinda different as the hardest tackles (dump tackles) tend to come from shorter run ups and its the players core strength that makes the hit, not their velocity (as in NFL)

I'd like to see the following changes:
1. Some more information on the players. Especially with subtitutes that would be nice.
2. Injuries
3. More advanced conversion system.
4. Unlockables (like shoes, balls, stadiums, etc. like the FIFA series)
5. More moves (like kicking a ball that already lies on the ground, dummy's etc)
6. More animations and in-game movies. It would be great if you could get the national anthems of the national teams in the game!

Thats all, keep up the good work!

And ofcourse a player-creator option (with many appearance customizables) would be absolutely GREAT!!!!! (a bit like the sims
<
)

What I would like to see is some more t.v. style presentation in game play. This can be done with just small things like team statistics before the game and comparing the two teams and like it says uptop, national anthems. Also during gameplay there could be instant replays of big hits, fights or showing the things that the ref's call. Also adapting the madden way of doing things, when selecting a set play before a scrum or kick or whatever you can see the players walking into position and the coach and sometimes instant replays. I think that this kind of presentation would make the game look much more professional. But ofcourse with all these things you have to have a GOOD comentary system or it will fall to peices.

exactly, if the the backline were sweeping round the back of a scrum for a blindside attack, you'd want the commentators to acknowledge this.

Originally posted by jinxed_nz@Dec 22 2004, 01:55 PM
Also adapting the madden way of doing things, when selecting a set play before a scrum or kick or whatever you can see the players walking into position and the coach and sometimes instant replays.
To me, that kind of stuff is okay the first time round, but I'm thankful that Madden has the "push any button to skip" built in there. I haven't watched it since.

Yes, it adds to the presentation, but it takes away from playing the game. The intensity of JLR was perfect. You could be having a long passage of intense gameplay and if the ball went into touch or a penalty was awarded -- you were actually happy that you got the break/breather to chill for a second. Those matches were heated and great fun.

thats what im always talking in jlr...the fast fluid gameplay...it had all the mechanics just corny graphics...

heres the results of a poll on my site

What would you most like to see in WCR2?
Answers Votes Percent
1. More Teams 79 28%
2. More Stadiums 9 3%
3. Licenses 74 26%
4. More Realistic Gameplay 73 26%
5. Better Scrum/Lineout/Goal Kicking Systems 15 5%
6. More Classic Teams 10 3%
7. New Commentators 4 1%
8. Better Camera Views 3 1%
9. Jump Button 12 4%
10. Other 7 2%

I can't remember if I voted/what I voted for but it was probably either more teams or other as I want to have a decent season mode with provincial teams.

Originally posted by Hypnotised@Jan 8 2005, 05:53 PM
Unless you take your polls out of 288.7% (yes I added it all up, sad isn't it) as opposed to the usual 100% I don't see how those results are possible. If 74% Vote for Licenses how can 79 Percent vote for More teams?

There I was thinking 100% was the limit...
errr, no.

Answers Votes Percent...

its not 74% for licenses its 74 VOTES
Which equals 26%

<

Well heres the results from my poll...:

Answers Votes Percent

1: No button bashing 1 100%

Pretty conclusive then...

Originally posted by umosay+Jan 8 2005, 04:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umosay @ Jan 8 2005, 04:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Hypnotised
@Jan 8 2005, 05:53 PM
Unless you take your polls out of 288.7% (yes I added it all up, sad isn't it) as opposed to the usual 100% I don't see how those results are possible. If 74% Vote for Licenses how can 79 Percent vote for More teams?

errr, no.

Answers Votes Percent...

Which equals 26%

<
[/b]
Yeah sorry mate, just came on to correct myself, suddenly realised my mistake. I was thinking it was 99 9% as in 99.9%, then I realised. Apoligies for my slowness.

Originally posted by Hypnotised+Jan 8 2005, 07:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hypnotised @ Jan 8 2005, 07:53 PM)</div>
Originally posted by umosay@Jan 8 2005, 04:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Hypnotised
@Jan 8 2005, 05:53 PM

errr, no.

Answers Votes Percent...

Which equals 26%

<
Yeah sorry mate, just came on to correct myself, suddenly realised my mistake. I was thinking it was 99 9% as in 99.9%, then I realised. Apoligies for my slowness. [/b]
Ok, fair enough
<

- Have the islanders do their respective wardances prematch time
- More team selection i.e. pick positions from a large selection of players aswell as goal kickers and captains
- Proper jerseys and team emblems
- Longer advantage played

This may have been brought up already but anyway.

Do you think re the licences that WCR2 could do what PES have done and get licences for say rugby tech or addidas ect and use those names or as I have just noticed EA have failed to get the right to the club tournaments maybe they could snap these up.

Also a good idea again from the great PES is to have the opion in edit name to also edit what the commenttor says.

OH and if you can make this game as PES I don't care!

The fullback hitting the line!!! why is it that no rugby game has the fullback hitting the line when it is happens so much in the real game? your fullback is one of your most potent attacking weapons yet never gets involved in the game except for when he retrieves a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.