• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About Wasps

Hmmmm how about a headline
Wasps despite knowing it was struggling financially makes stupid contract offers to players like Koch instead of getting their players ready for administration....

Like are wasps accusing the prem clubs of wanting to lose like 600K-1 million this season due to the inept of 2 clubs?

Last edited:
Should point out that this has been taken out of context If related to Steve Vaughan's comments on the Rugby Pod. He mentioned that there were some low ball offers coming in to players but he understood why as no one had cap space.

If not, its a stupid comment from whoever made it. Maybe once budgets are redone by clubs, then there might be budget space for a larger contract but at the moment I'd be surprised if anyone can offer anything.

Hey guys - old head in the union game, new to the forum - so i was listening to the Interview that James Haskell gave Sky re: franchising the English game. With the well documented issues in the Rainbow league and welsh clubs in particular struggling financially, would Haskells views not be pretty bang on?? Having an NFL style commissioner and Franchising teams would be, for me, currently the best most viable opportunity for the game to re-flourish and get back to where it should be.
You could have a B league of all of the current English Prem/Welsh Prem clubs that are in geographical friendly leagues underneath the flagship tournament - but also under neath (more importantly for me) the BUCs leagues.
I dont really want to see our historic clubs disappear BUT i dont see where Rugby moves forward to enable us to grow again in any other week.

I'd suggest a league that has the 2 scottish clubs, 3 welsh sides, 3 irish sides and 6 English sides.
franchising killed the NPC in NZ, Now semi professional, all that happens is the NPC players that dont also have franchise contracts go overseas for the rest of the year...and then then some find they like it in japan or the states and theyre making more money there...so they stop coming back....

bold GIF

Don't they need to find a rich buyer? Isn't that the only option?

My son is confused about it all and to be honest so am I trying to explain when and how they play rugby again

Hopefully this will also mean a return to London, or at least nearby.

Missing the chance to play at Brentford because of the Coventry debacle has killed the club for now.

It's clearly time for the leagues to merge to save professional rugby. Unfortunately it wont happen.

I had a quick Google but didn't find anything but does anyone know where to get wasps attendances for the last few years? Just wandering long term if they would be better staying in the midlands or moving back down south as either way it will be another unsettled time.

Nb. Has anyone read Haskells what a flanker book. I'm enjoying it (as my holiday book) but the story behind wasps there is terrible if completely true.

I had a quick Google but didn't find anything but does anyone know where to get wasps attendances for the last few years? Just wandering long term if they would be better staying in the midlands or moving back down south as either way it will be another unsettled time.

Nb. Has anyone read Haskells what a flanker book. I'm enjoying it (as my holiday book) but the story behind wasps there is terrible if completely true.
Personally, if we can play games in the Henley training facility or rent the stadium it works better. Fanbase wise London but where on earth can we go? theres not a lot of places free.

Didn't someone already post though that Wasps were basically giving away tickets. Attendance is worthless if fans aren't paying. Personally Coventry seems to be a failed experiment and there is too much bad blood there for it to ever be truly successful. No idea what the alternative is though because as mentioned where is free that Wasps could go...

Didn't someone already post though that Wasps were basically giving away tickets. Attendance is worthless if fans aren't paying. Personally Coventry seems to be a failed experiment and there is too much bad blood there for it to ever be truly successful. No idea what the alternative is though because as mentioned where is free that Wasps could go...
Reading that's wasps only averaged 4k at their old ground and that it was unsustainable (especially as they didn't own the ground). If they now average 4k with free tickets handed out that's bad, if they average 10k with even half those as free that's progress.

Just curious really to see because a big stadium that's got a smattering of people around is hard to judge how many are actually there.

I take it that's a good thing - certainly the most important part.

Concerned by the "only bid to buy" bit though - presumably that means the ladies are left high and dry, and no grounds anywhere?

I take it that's a good thing - certainly the most important part.

Concerned by the "only bid to buy" bit though - presumably that means the ladies are left high and dry, and no grounds anywhere?
Pretty much yeah, believe the women's team is operating slightly separately, Same with the Netball.

We will have to go through rigour of proving to RFU that they have a sustainable offer, even though they did diddly squat to help us prior.

Reading that's wasps only averaged 4k at their old ground and that it was unsustainable (especially as they didn't own the ground). If they now average 4k with free tickets handed out that's bad, if they average 10k with even half those as free that's progress.

Just curious really to see because a big stadium that's got a smattering of people around is hard to judge how many are actually there.
Have they had decent crowds anywhere?

Latest posts