• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About Wasps

What's a CVA?
Going into administration, I've discovered
So someone comes in and starts sizing down/selling off things to be able to pay off the debts

Basically bankruptcy

(this is all from a vaguely understood Google search, so anyone who knows more plz correct me)

Going into administration, I've discovered
So someone comes in and starts sizing down/selling off things to be able to pay off the debts

Basically bankruptcy

(this is all from a vaguely understood Google search, so anyone who knows more plz correct me)
The question is...if players were to start looking elsewhere....due to salary and payments etc...do other teams even have much budget left to afford anyone.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if some clubs have saved cap just for moments like this potentially.
They have some very good players, bet Jack and Tom Willis would get quite a few calls, could see Chiefs going after Barbeary to maybe seen as a Ewers replacement when he retires.(only 31 but still.)

Out of curiousity how many players would have this clause in thier contract if Wasps were to be relegated?.

Out of curiousity how many players would have this clause in thier contract if Wasps were to be relegated?.
I doubt many would tbh - I don't think it's a standard clause in contracts, I feel like it's rare you hear of players leaving a relegated club because of a relegation clause, usually it's through mutual agreement (clubs usually try and offload players cause their income gets heavily cut playing in the Champ)
You only usually see it on marquee players who sign for lower table sides

With that said: If they were to get relegated this season (somehow) we might see players go on loan so that they're still eligible for England (i.e. Mark Wilson coming to us so he could still play in the 2019 RWC)

I really hope they don't go bust, it would be a shame for what they were trying to achieve really in a area that has been crying out for a rugby team of their own.

With the stadium being their own and I'd be shocked how they could end up so poorly financially as the stadium facilities were always busy plus they have other sports there. Really would be mismanagement if they go bust or maybe they were just always too close to going broke before.

Disagree Coventry has been crying out for a rugby team.

Most people before where supporting Saints, Tigers or the actual Cov team
Well they weren't. Majority of rugby players around the Coventry area and surrounding towns loved rugby but didn't follow any team really. How do I know that? Because I live and have lived around that area and played rugby there my whole life. There are lots of tigers and saints fans but loads of non fans who didn't feel connected to tiger or saints.

When I was working in Cov the rugby people I saw weren't keen on Wasps,
Rugby pub I went to had a petition to get rid of them (cause they were also cov city fans) as late as 2019/20

They've been there long enough now that they've cultivated enough of a fanbase to stay but it was a crap decision in the first place

Hypothetically...if wasps went into Administration and were then sent down the leagues...would a champs side (possibly Ealing) be brought up, or would they just keep as is with a reduced fixture list.

Hypothetically...if wasps went into Administration and were then sent down the leagues...would a champs side (possibly Ealing) be brought up, or would they just keep as is with a reduced fixture list.
I'm pretty confident "they" would be delighted to have a 12-team league again.
Odd numbered leagues are always bloody stupid things, as last year proved admirably. Same goes for a lack of relegation (which I'm sure would still be the case for this coming year, IF without Wasps)

The other thing I'd expect PRL to do in that hypothetical, would be to increase the salary cap a year early, to allow the other clubs to asset strip Wasps of their players.i

Yeah they'd drop it to 12,

Ealing can't be added for insurance reasons - people can complain about it being unfair until the cows come home but PRL's pro sports insurance/license requires the stadia to hit certain markers, one of which is their capacity

If they had a ground share (which they claimed they did after after appealing, not before....) then that'd be fine, but they can't be included with the pitch they have atm.

The other thing I'd expect PRL to do in that hypothetical, would be to increase the salary cap a year early, to allow the other clubs to asset strip Wasps of their players.i

Would be an interesting one - could allow sides to sign Wasps players outside of the cap but only up to the amount of their previous contract or something like that (so you don't get sugar daddy sides offering Jack Willis £1m to join etc.)

Would be an interesting one - could allow sides to sign Wasps players outside of the cap but only up to the amount of their previous contract or something like that (so you don't get sugar daddy sides offering Jack Willis £1m to join etc.)
Isn't the cap increasing again next year anyway? So I think they'd just do that.

IMO, they'd also need to make it a blank increase; otherwise you could have 1 club just buying all the Wasps players - ideally, you'd want them split fairly evenly amongst all 12 clubs (or at least, all those who could actually afford to pay the wages, which probably rules out Worcester, and possibly Newcastle). So take the £6.4M+marquee wage bill, and divide it between the 12 clubs, call it an increase of £555k to everyone - your choice if you want 5 squad fillers or 1 superstar with enough left over for an academy graduate.

As above i think they would have 12 teams. But rather than re doing any fixtures the team that should have played Wasps would be also on a bye week right? So 2 bye weeks except the weekends where Wasps should be on bye weeks.

Or could they swing it that every team that should have played wasps plays the team on the bye week? But that in itself has some issues as may not always line up right?

Yeah, premiership is not like a RWC where accommodation needs to be booked in advance etc; but... when is it too late to redraw the fixture schedule? would BT play ball? or would they all have 4 fallow weeks rather than 2?

As you say, the easiest would be that whoever was due to have a fallow weekend plays whoever was due to play wasps - that wouldn't really screw the planning by too much; but still a fair bit of hassle, even if done this weekend, let alone in another 2 weeks time.

ETA: Also, would that actually fix anything? it still means that when those 2 teams would be due to play, they'd have to have fallow weekends anyway...
I think that might be a knee-jerk that doesn't play well with reality.

I think it'd need either a complete redraw of the season (though maybe the first window could be essentially that, to buy time) or leave it as-is, with 4 fallow weekends per team (with massively mixed results depending on how they fall)

Last edited:
With regards to the fixture lists it depends if they do go bust and when it happens. If it's a week or two before the new season then it'll be too late to change them to eliminate the bye weeks so I can see there being the normal byes with either an extra two for the Wasps games or everyone else getting two 20-0 bonus point wins

With regards to the fixture lists it depends if they do go bust and when it happens. If it's a week or two before the new season then it'll be too late to change them to eliminate the bye weeks so I can see there being the normal byes with either an extra two for the Wasps games or everyone else getting two 20-0 bonus point wins
I like that idea - Bath might actually get into double figures in the league table

Latest posts