• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About Wasps

Ok, but as someone with no dog in this fight I think the commonwealth games coming to Cov was a very positive thing and perhaps some City fans should realise the world doesn't revolve around just them.

I think possibly you are trolling, as nob0dy who follows a processional football club of whatever shaped ball would see that statement as being anything but ridiculous. But I'll bite, just this one time.

Whether or not you think (as I do) that ultimately SISU only have themselves to blame for Wasps owning the Arena and so be held to a 'hostage' situation, if a Club has sold STs on the expectation and agreement that the pitch would be serviceable then those loyal, regular, paying customers should surely be put first Secondly, this potentially impacts the club's fanbase long term, through efl point deduction and loss of income, requiring the club itself to sell players, so to argue that CCFC fans are in some way being selfish is beyond ridiculous. Thirdly, Wasps have a legal agreement to another company that they have not fulfilled. It really is that simple.

The reality is that the Wasps model is bust - they can't cover the poor matchday income from Rugby even through Arena events. It's only a matter of time before the Arena is sold, we all know this.

I think possibly you are trolling, as nob0dy who follows a processional football club of whatever shaped ball would see that statement as being anything but ridiculous. But I'll bite, just this one time.

Whether or not you think (as I do) that ultimately SISU only have themselves to blame for Wasps owning the Arena and so be held to a 'hostage' situation, if a Club has sold STs on the expectation and agreement that the pitch would be serviceable then those loyal, regular, paying customers should surely be put first Secondly, this potentially impacts the club's fanbase long term, through efl point deduction and loss of income, requiring the club itself to sell players, so to argue that CCFC fans are in some way being selfish is beyond ridiculous. Thirdly, Wasps have a legal agreement to another company that they have not fulfilled. It really is that simple.

The reality is that the Wasps model is bust - they can't cover the poor matchday income from Rugby even through Arena events. It's only a matter of time before the Arena is sold, we all know this.
To accuse someone of trolling when you yourself have set up an account this morning solely for the purpose of arguing with Wasps fans (won't find many on here) is a bit rich but I will also bite.

From what you have told me CCFC deserve no sympathy at all. They had the chance to own their own stadium and screwed it up. Tough. Wasps are a crappy little franchise who built their house on quick sand. No sympathy, if they go under.

My loyalty, if I have any is to grass roots rugby. Having the commonwealth 7s in Cov was a big plus for rugby in the city, the fact that CCFC will have to reschedule a couple of games is irrelevant to me. Get over it, you played a few seasons in Northampton and Birmingham Im sure this won't kill you.

It all big and tough chanting "**** Wasps" but what they should be chanting is "we ****** this ourselves" but I'm not going to die on a hill for Wasps.

You seriously think CCFC would have signed a lease agreement on that basis and, more so, hadn't planned for such an eventually? What this comes down is that Wasps have failed to keep to their agreement to deliver a playable and safe pitch, and as the only way they could honour that agreement would be to pay 500k for a lay and play pitch they are desperately trying to avoid any additional costs that would take them under.
Yes, it was well publicised.

So wasps haven't failed at anything, you can calm down now.

If you actually understood how and why they make money at the Ricoh for different things you'd realise you are wrong.

The arena events make a loss, that's the cause of a lot of the issues.

IDK didn't Coventry council offer the stadium at a massively lower rate to wasps than what was being offered to Cov city? Or am I remembering it wrong.

If so pretty shitty

IDK didn't Coventry council offer the stadium at a massively lower rate to wasps than what was being offered to Cov city? Or am I remembering it wrong.

If so pretty shitty
Yeah but by the sound of it cov city didn't help themselves either by trying to hold cov council to ransom but you can imagine the dodgy goings on with Wasps. How many different grounds have they been in since going pro? 4?

I've seen it said, but don't know how accurate - that there's a clause whereby if Wasps go insolvent, City can buy the stadium for basically nothing.

More likely though, would surely be Wasps going into administration, and the administrator sells off the assets, like the stadium, to service debts.
The bonds have a first mortgage on the ground, there's no set of circumstances in which the football club get it for peanuts. Even if they tried it would be reversed through inevitable legal action

I mean i have to be honest, it is geniunely hard to see how we get out of this in the short term. Long Term the plan could work but the more i look at it the more we look like we are in trouble. I hope, that somehow we can come to agreement in the short term to get through and for the Vaughan and Richardson to figure out.

It doesn't help that Coventry City Fans hate Wasps now and some are abusive and vile towards decent people whose only crime is supporting a team on social media.

It doesn't help that Coventry City Fans hate Wasps now and some are abusive and vile towards decent people whose only crime is supporting a team on social media.
We had the same with Stockport County when we were at Edgeley Park

I mean i have to be honest, it is geniunely hard to see how we get out of this in the short term. Long Term the plan could work but the more i look at it the more we look like we are in trouble. I hope, that somehow we can come to agreement in the short term to get through and for the Vaughan and Richardson to figure out.

You do wonder if their bridges have been burned now. It would be better is cov city purchased their own grind somewhere else (they need to anyhow financially I'm sure) then wasps can start to build the Ricoh as 'their' stadium.

The only thing I think on the fans front is most cov city fans arnt the target audience for wasps anyhow. In fact I bet they get more fans from surrounding towns than the 'people' of Coventry.

This whole sorry situation shines a light on the generally poor state of finances of rugby clubs, most continue to make losses and rely on wealthy benefactors rather than healthy income sheets to stay afloat. It is an inherently unstable and unsustainable model that needs to be addressed. Rugby has been dragging its feet really really badly on getting the financial health of the clubs sorted. I think only 1 or 2 clubs actually have healthy finances.

If allowed to continue, Wasps will only be the start of the problems. Any large investment by rugby clubs is highly dangerous without some guaranteed wealth available at the start to back it up. Rugby clubs can't really make big investments as the chances of it paying for itself in a reasonable amount of time seems low. This also extends to rugby in general at all levels, it is a pretty poorly financed sport and still run by old farts stuck in the amateur era. We have professional players and professional coaches demanding professional salaries but the whole financing and promotion of the sport still seems amateurish.

You do wonder if their bridges have been burned now. It would be better is cov city purchased their own grind somewhere else (they need to anyhow financially I'm sure) then wasps can start to build the Ricoh as 'their' stadium.
I think there was talk of them building their own ground somewhere (University?) but with them now back in the big leagues gotta imagine that idea's dead and buried - top level stadium would require more planning/cash/infrastructure than a lower league one

Long term ground share with another football club seems unlikely as well - really if they have longterm ambitions of Premier League/consistent championship football then the Ricoh is their best bet,
Just need to hash it out with Wasps (or hope Wasps go bust and a new owner inherits their rental deal is more on their wavelength)

SISU won't invest in buying the stadium from Wasps. They have instead made themselves open to sale or partial ownership of CCFC should their be a willing buyer of the Arena lease. Hard to see where that buyer would come from. Where that leaves Mr Richardson is probably between a rock and a hard place.

This whole sorry situation shines a light on the generally poor state of finances of rugby clubs, most continue to make losses and rely on wealthy benefactors rather than healthy income sheets to stay afloat. It is an inherently unstable and unsustainable model that needs to be addressed. Rugby has been dragging its feet really really badly on getting the financial health of the clubs sorted. I think only 1 or 2 clubs actually have healthy finances.

If allowed to continue, Wasps will only be the start of the problems. Any large investment by rugby clubs is highly dangerous without some guaranteed wealth available at the start to back it up. Rugby clubs can't really make big investments as the chances of it paying for itself in a reasonable amount of time seems low. This also extends to rugby in general at all levels, it is a pretty poorly financed sport and still run by old farts stuck in the amateur era. We have professional players and professional coaches demanding professional salaries but the whole financing and promotion of the sport still seems amateurish.
Same in Football, how many English top flight clubs don't have a rich suger daddy?

Latest posts