• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About Wasps

Errrr tough **** on his part.
Dude played a massive part in inflating wages lol

He's not wrong about PRL needing to do more to raise revenue and profile of the game. But **** takes time.

The problem with rugby in the UK is how big the disconnect between the RFU and PRL is, they don't really work together it tends to be more the PRL demands something from the RFU.

For example a smaller league of better quality is in reality a better sell than the current product. Trouble is that's a big picture thing the small picture is that this hurts Prem rugby wallets so therefore a bigger league is better hence the league expansion and ring fence.

ITV rights
PRTV

Both massive steps in the right direction and both happened since CVC, before that what had the PRL and owners done to increase the profile of the game? Followed that short term cash and hide everything behind BT sport that is pretty damn expensive.

Premiership owners have no one else to blame but themselves when it comes to the profile of club rugby amongst casuals, and expecting a magic wand to have come from CVC with the **** product right now is laughable.

Errrr tough **** on his part.
Dude played a massive part in inflating wages lol

He's not wrong about PRL needing to do more to raise revenue and profile of the game. But **** takes time.

The problem with rugby in the UK is how big the disconnect between the RFU and PRL is, they don't really work together it tends to be more the PRL demands something from the RFU.

For example a smaller league of better quality is in reality a better sell than the current product. Trouble is that's a big picture thing the small picture is that this hurts Prem rugby wallets so therefore a bigger league is better hence the league expansion and ring fence.

ITV rights
PRTV

Both massive steps in the right direction and both happened since CVC, before that what had the PRL and owners done to increase the profile of the game? Followed that short term cash and hide everything behind BT sport that is pretty damn expensive.

Premiership owners have no one else to blame but themselves when it comes to the profile of club rugby amongst casuals, and expecting a magic wand to have come from CVC with the **** product right now is laughable.
I mean that's spot on mate!

The problem is Rugby itself. It's not sustainable, look at how cricket has kicked on, how often Trent bridge is full for the 20/20, how quickly 5 days for each test match gets sold out. Then look at rugby. Barely able to sustain 1 professional league. It's even worse in Wales and Scotland.
TBF the vast majority of the counties are reliant on ECB handouts for their very survival.

Most of the revenue generated in English cricket comes from England playing Test matches and I suspect the same is true in rugby.

(a) Just crass.

(b) I'm not sure exactly how Pests are structured but bar a break from 2012-16 he's been a Director of Wasps Holdings Ltd since 2009. So there will be plenty of decisions with his fingerprints on them.

Don't know anything about Mike Ashley - how was he as Newcastle's owner?

Worrying times for Wasps - realistically any owner they're going to attract in their current predicament is only going to be interested in picking up the stadium on the cheap

Pretty much hated. Think the finances were OK but the fans loathed virtually everything else about his tenure. Paid £134m in 2007 and sold for £300m last year.
whilst true...the fans did seem to hate him, i was never really able to work out why other than the fact he was always open to the idea of selling and at various times was actively looking for a buyer...BUT...always seemed invest in the club, got in some decent names and got them back up to the premier league

I know a Newcastle fan a lot seemed to be because he meddled to much in the day to day stuff at the club

Undermining club legend Keegan.

Despite this he was also known for investing **** all into the club by prem football standards despite priming to sell the club after their first relegation he didn't

I can't speak personally, but from what I've read of the guy, he wouldn't be buying unless he feels he can make a profit somewhere. Considering the state of rugby as a whole and the reliance on sugar daddies I don't think he would be best for Wasps. Could easily see Wasps taking a back seat to Coventry if both clubs came under one umbrella.

I know a Newcastle fan a lot seemed to be because he meddled to much in the day to day stuff at the club

Despite this he was also known for investing **** all into the club by prem football standards despite priming to sell the club after their first relegation he didn't
being a wimbledon fc fan i come at the idea of an owner from a specific point of view, i think most of our fans would kill for an owner like ashley and think newcastle fans have no idea what a bad owner is

I think that's the crux of it. That and turning St James Park into a giant Sports Direct billboard and also renaming it.

He's a bruiser, but has a very sharp business brain and has invested in a number of failing brands. Someone with his commercial hard headedness might just be what's needed.

How many P Shares are there? 13?

Presumably takes a unanimous vote to reduce to 10 - which 3 voters condemn themselves?
Suppose they could bend the rules to say Wuss and Wasps should forfeit their share but then who's the one who takes the voluntary relegation/death sentence?

Latest posts