• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need to talk about Worcester

Hard to comment without knowing what Ts&Cs aren't reasonable or acceptable.

But I will note that the RFU have been heavily criticised for not interfering with the clubs and helping them stave off the inevitable (whilst doing so would have been a breach of contract); and are now being criticised for wanting some level of interference in a club that's been proven to need it, and when it wouldn't be a breach of an existing contract.

Last edited:
Hard to comment without knowing what Ts&Cs aren't reasonable or acceptable.

But I will note that the RFU have been heavily criticised for not interfering with the clubs and helping them stave off the inevitable (whilst doing so would have been a breach of contract); and are now being criticised for wanting some level of interference in a club that's been proven to need it, and when it wouldn't be a breach of an existing contract.
The Atlas Consortium's point that they're not the same business, the previous business having ceased to be, is entirely valid, however. If they're planning on supporting the rugby by running Sixways as a conference centre or whatever (and it always has felt like an events business with a rugby team attached...) then it's a reasonable point that 'booking a Steps reunion gig in the summer' is nothing to do with the RFU.

It sounds like they're prepared to strike a deal with the administrators to form the new events (or whatever) company and let the rugby fall by the wayside (and who can blame them, it's hardly going to be the most profitable potential revenue stream.) Whether this is a serious suggestion or just a negotiating ploy, time will tell.

As a Worcester Warriors supporter, I'd be saddened by the loss of the club and all the player development and community work which they have done, but this is a risk when the deal is between Begbies Traynor and the Atlas Consortium, with the RFU not involved in the slightest.

If the argument against that is that it's a new business and not the same business, then logically, the new business isn't a phoenix club, and doesn't get the perks of being a phoenix club - such as playing in the Champ rather than starting again at the bottom of the pyramid.
RFU requirements for a phoenix club aren't relevant if there's no interest in being a phoenix club.

RFU just got a kicking for not illegally getting involved in club finances. Now they're being given a kicking for legally wanting a say in club finances.

"The RFU has not been provided with sufficient evidence of funding. While some information has been provided, this has been only internal P&L information which appears to cover only part of the business of the main shareholder and the RFU was told that no further information could or would be provided.

"This means that there is no information as to debt levels or shareholder funds and no externally verified financial statements have been provided.
"Evidence of a non-binding heads of terms for external off-shore financing has been provided, but this is not committed.
"For these reasons the RFU does not have comfort that the business plan can be funded, nor that rugby is at the centre of the proposal for the business which is an American medical services company.
"The RFU is also concerned by the public statement from the bidders that they are prepared to acquire the site and develop it without a rugby offering."

I get it. I feel the RFU really doesn't want to go through this again.

Really hope they pull a rabbit out the hat on this one though and get Worcester back up and running.

Although could the clubs (both wasps and warriors) survive in the championship with the current levels of funding.

That's....bizarre - not got the cash to go semi pro?
Does this drop them to the bottom of the amateur leagues? Weird to buy the stadium etc. if so

Dropping Worcester from the name is bad - if they can't use Worcester Warriors then they should at least call themselves Worcester Sixways

Blimey, didn't see that coming.

Stourbridge? Hmm. Will we be going to see "Stourbridge Sixways" trying to do a Worcester and work through the leagues? Can't wait to see what spin they put on the "SS" logo...

Wow thats a shock... they always did seem some way off. So one gone now just to hear from "us". I feel slightly more confident in ourselves but this makes me nervous.

Apparently there was also a comment according to "Jim O'Toole' that they were considering brining in additional elite rugby union sides to play at sixways. Which reading between the lines means Wasps are likely to head there surely? Unless we are still planning to be midlands based. Reported by Felicity Kvesic.

Wow thats a shock... they always did seem some way off. So one gone now just to hear from "us". I feel slightly more confident in ourselves but this makes me nervous.
Wouldn't have been entirely surprised to have seen Worcester Wasps, but this does smack of a toys-pram-interface. Obviously there's enough money in the rest of the deal to make supporting an empty stadium worthwhile.

Maybe Stourbridge will be selling their ground for housing. (Not that doing that worked out well for Moseley...)

Maybe gambling on two promotions before *ing-*encing comes in.

Most odd.

Apparently there was also a comment according to "Jim O'Toole' that they were considering brining in additional elite rugby union sides to play at sixways. Which reading between the lines means Wasps are likely to head there surely? Unless we are still planning to be midlands based. Reported by Felicity Kvesic.
Worcester *is* in the midlands...

Wouldn't have been entirely surprised to have seen Worcester Wasps, but this does smack of a toys-pram-interface. Obviously there's enough money in the rest of the deal to make supporting an empty stadium worthwhile.

Maybe Stourbridge will be selling their ground for housing. (Not that doing that worked out well for Moseley...)

Maybe gambling on two promotions before *ing-*encing comes in.

Most odd.
True.. Apparently Worcester Wasps is unlikely and wide of mark according to those closest to it from reporting view.
Worcester *is* in the midlands...
haha true... i meant more Birmingham/Cov way but who know.. we are pretty much a franchise now.

Latest posts