• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wellington 7s 1st-2nd Feb 2013

AliC1995

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Argentina and Canada the first two teams to announce for the Wellington 7s. Canada looking very strong with Paris, Trainor and Ardron all in the squad. It makes pool C look even tougher. Pools are:

A)NZ, USA, England, Spain
B )France, Argentina, Kenya, Tonga
C)SA, Wales, Samoa, Canada
D)Portugal, Fiji, Australia, Scotland

Pool B and C look very tough to call, with all 4 teams likely to be in the hunt for the quarter final. NZ and Fiji have got to be favorite to win their pools, in pool A I think England vs Spain will decide the second cup quarter finalist which is a difficult one to call as Spain have done very well against England. In B I think the Aussies will probably have a decider to see who make the quarter final against Portugal. But the rest of the squads are still to be announced so who knows what will happen.

Argentina and Canada the first two teams to announce for the Wellington 7s. Canada looking very strong with ParisTrainor and Ardron all in the squad. It makes pool C look even tougher. Pools are:

A)NZ, USA, England, Spain
B )France, Argentina, Kenya, Tonga
C)SA, Wales, Samoa, Canada
D)Portugal, Fiji, Australia, Scotland

Pool B and C look very tough to call, with all 4 teams likely to be in the hunt for the quarter final. NZ and Fiji have got to be favorite to win their pools, in pool A I think England vs Spain will decide the second cup quarter finalist which is a difficult one to call as Spain have done very well against England. In B I think the Aussies will probably have a decider to see who make the quarter final against Portugal. But the rest of the squads are still to be announced so who knows what will happen.

Interesting to see that Glasgow have released Paris to play for Canada at 7's hopefully this dosen't mean they are planning to give up on him at the end of the season.

For the first time I got some tickets to this - should be an extremely good time.

Interesting to see that Glasgow have released Paris to play for Canada at 7's hopefully this dosen't mean they are planning to give up on him at the end of the season.

Looking most likely at the moment Little Guy.

He's only played 1 match, and Glasgow signed Maitland in the middle of the season meaning that him playing much looks unlikely, with van der Merwe, Maitland, Lamont x 2 and Seymour there they really have no need for him.

van der Merwe aside (2nd highest try scorer in the league this season, also has broken the Glasgow record for most tries), the Canadians signed to the league don't seem to be having much success lately. O'Toole has been released after short stints at two teams, Evans was a disaster at the Dragons, and Tkachuk left Glasgow having fallen out of their team.

Looking most likely at the moment Little Guy.

He's only played 1 match, and Glasgow signed Maitland in the middle of the season meaning that him playing much looks unlikely, with van der Merwe, Maitland, Lamont x 2 and Seymour there they really have no need for him.

van der Merwe aside (2nd highest try scorer in the league this season, also has broken the Glasgow record for most tries), the Canadians signed to the league don't seem to be having much success lately. O'Toole has been released after short stints at two teams, Evans was a disaster at the Dragons, and Tkachuk left Glasgow having fallen out of their team.

Tkachuk retired he was having some serious back issues, he stuck it out that last season trying to get into the RWC squad but Crowley didn't put him on even the 40 man side in the end. He had a good run at Glasgow up until the very end and was still being used as an impact sub even in his last few months with the side.

Paris looks to have been lost in a numbers game, while O'Toole and Evans were definately performance based, though Evans caught on very well with Pirates when he moved there so perhaps a change of scenery was what he needed. If the new pro league goes ahead in North America we might not see many of our players go to the Celtic league any more, especially since the Scottish clubs are essentially using their foreign player spots to recruit players into the national side, nor do the more succesful Irish clubs(aside from Connacht) need overseas players excpet in the most important positions.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a ticket, I have a spare ticket for both days for $150. Seat is located in the general allocation seating area.

It's on, and wow Kenya came to play again beating the French by a couple tries in the first match.

Last edited:
The pool Canada was in ended up being a huge logjam, Samoa beat everyone and everyone else beat each other!!! We lost out on points difference but hopefully we can come back today, Tonga are first up and they haven't looked that great so far.

Interesting final...Kenya vs. England. Don't think the locals are gonna mind too much anyway.:rolleyes:

This Bowl final between Canada and Fiji has been amazing so far!!!! What a comeback season by Kenya after last years disaster.

I hope Kenya take it. After going through SA and NZ in dramatic fashion it feels appropriate.

Very good tournament so far and I found a new player to follow : Belgium Tuatagaloa :)

I was burnt to a crisp. Loved the tournament - shame Kenya didn't win (no offence to England, actually felt a bit sorry for them cause of the crowd).

i just saw the final game and i don't get why Kenya didn't kick away the ball after the end of 2nd HT, they kept it rolling.

What do you think of Wales' Luke Morgan's very colourful tattoo? Looks a bit like one of the Stade Francais jerseys.

Snapshot+1+(05-02-2013+16-06).png
images

Latest posts