• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh regions turn down central contract offer from WRU.

The teams that produce more players get more money, simple.
There still must be money from the WRU to help with the academies, U16, U18, U20 and so on.

The fact is this: Regional rugby in Wales is unsustainable with the current setup. How long for, I do not know, but the longer we wait to fix it, the worse off we will be.

It's not that simple. It would create a system where whoever had the most players at one time would have more cash to reinvest into the region. The ones who aren't able to produce players (a number of circumstantial things can effect this, I.e. money for supporting/raising awareness in schools, current success) would suffer and in the general running of the regional operation. This would create a long term loop.

The system needs to be fair. The WRU has the resources to both support the regions with a set amount first (that being the fair element) and then paying/part paying for a 25/30 elite group of players. Obviously, this set amount would be less than it is now.

Another option is share the 30 player between the 4, regardless of where they were developed. That way everyone has the same cash break.

That's just a suggestion. I'm looking at the long term sustainability of the regions. I know it may seem difficult 'giving up' players the region developed but all four won't survive if one or two teams have all the 'elite' players. This is both for playing and marketing reasons.

Latest posts