• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

Lyn Jones coming to the Dragons in a DoR roles I hear. Appleyard, Beale out.

I kinda wish that the regions had something to stop out of IRB window games.. If any team it should be a tier 2/3 team where we can give younger players a crack at international level and not disrupt the regions chances (however slim but its still a chance) at the HC. But really any games outside the IRB window shouldn't happen in Autumn as it's in season time kinda thing.

So a few things to note.

1. Habberfield is out for up to 8 weeks after getting injured in pre-season. Was hoping to see him get game time early in the season and cement his place as the O's first choice 9.

2. Matthew Rees has been appointed the Blues skipper - good choice. Gavin Evans is vice captain - wtf? Two ex Scarlets players, with an ex Scarlets coach, interesting, or am I reading too much into it? This also tells us that Gavin Evans is likely to be first choice, arrrrg.

3. Following on from 2. There has been no sign thus far of Cory Allen in the Blues 2 pre season friendlies (team announced for the second against Sale tonight). Anyone know why?

4. Jonathan Davies installed as Scarlets captain - fine with that. McCusker is a joint captain - such a terrible leader!

So a few things to note.

1. Habberfield is out for up to 8 weeks after getting injured in pre-season. Was hoping to see him get game time early in the season and cement his place as the O's first choice 9.

2. Matthew Rees has been appointed the Blues skipper - good choice. Gavin Evans is vice captain - wtf? Two ex Scarlets players, with an ex Scarlets coach, interesting, or am I reading too much into it? This also tells us that Gavin Evans is likely to be first choice, arrrrg.

3. Following on from 2. There has been no sign thus far of Cory Allen in the Blues 2 pre season friendlies (team announced for the second against Sale tonight). Anyone know why?

4. Jonathan Davies installed as Scarlets captain - fine with that. McCusker is a joint captain - such a terrible leader!

RE: 3. The word on the terrace this evening from the supporters club is that he has an injury.

RE: 2. When they announced Gavin Evans as VC, I could have cried. He was dire this evening once again. Hewitt-O.Williams partnership worked well, whilst Cook moved to captain. Could be a turbulent time in the centre this year (at least I hope!).

Newport Gwent Dragons beat Bath 22-20
Finished the match with 14 (Yellow card, Lewis Evans, 70')

Evans is a poor player. A good Gyppo cap if I can remember one.
Hewitt is not a great player, but at least he looks up for it on occasion.

RE: 3. The word on the terrace this evening from the supporters club is that he has an injury.

RE: 2. When they announced Gavin Evans as VC, I could have cried. He was dire this evening once again. Hewitt-O.Williams partnership worked well, whilst Cook moved to captain. Could be a turbulent time in the centre this year (at least I hope!).

How'd the new pitch play?

How'd the new pitch play?

Had some considerable rainfall on it before the game, and yet it held really well. In fact, there were less slips than I would expect on good turf in those conditions. The new scrum law and the turf lead to fewer collapsed scrums on this occasion, so overall I think it was a good investment, and certainly suited a fast game. Ball bounced nicely, but it is fast, like you'd expect on hard turf.

It was weird hearing the announcer tell you to go on the pitch after the game (usually it is the other way around!) We all got to walk on the pitch of the game. Had a little jog, it was surprisingly hard to slip on it.

I am interested to see how it holds up over the long term, as right now, it is at its best.

We came out firing in the 2nd half...ahem.
Sounded like a typical performance from last season - play for 40, then snooze the other 40.
We did end the game with 2 scrumhalves and 3 flyhalves in the backs, which can't have helped the defensive organisation, though.

Had some considerable rainfall on it before the game, and yet it held really well. In fact, there were less slips than I would expect on good turf in those conditions. The new scrum law and the turf lead to fewer collapsed scrums on this occasion, so overall I think it was a good investment, and certainly suited a fast game. Ball bounced nicely, but it is fast, like you'd expect on hard turf.

It was weird hearing the announcer tell you to go on the pitch after the game (usually it is the other way around!) We all got to walk on the pitch of the game. Had a little jog, it was surprisingly hard to slip on it.

I am interested to see how it holds up over the long term, as right now, it is at its best.

Encouraging, but yeah lets wait till it gets an overnight freezing and see how it plays then

We came out firing in the 2nd half...ahem.
Sounded like a typical performance from last season - play for 40, then snooze the other 40.
We did end the game with 2 scrumhalves and 3 flyhalves in the backs, which can't have helped the defensive organisation, though.

Is Steve Tandy coaching Sale as well?

From what I gather, pretty good, no issues.
Patchell apparently ran the show, with Owen Williams doing some damage as well (I like the bloke, we really have no outside centre backup)

Any chance the Blues have at getting in the top 4 of the Rabo (or any chance of HC qualification) rests on Patchell staying fit. His ability get territory and bring players onto the ball is very good. Davies is the only cover and the gulf in class is scary.

Williams is playing very well, but he was on the wing all of last season at the Blues. He needs a full season at 13 before Wales call.

Any chance the Blues have at getting in the top 4 of the Rabo (or any chance of HC qualification) rests on Patchell staying fit. His ability get territory and bring players onto the ball is very good. Davies is the only cover and the gulf in class is scary.

Williams is playing very well, but he was on the wing all of last season at the Blues. He needs a full season at 13 before Wales call.

Fully agree, our cupboard is rather bare at outside centre, we really only have Davies and (Scott) Williams right now. Maybe Ben John if he gets some time for the Os.

The Blues will still top the Men of Gwent regardless. Will be interesting to see who the Blues sign as Patchell back up though.

The Blues will still top the Men of Gwent regardless. Will be interesting to see who the Blues sign as Patchell back up though.

They made a good couple of signings this summer. After the Blues lack of tries last season and potential lack of no.10 I wouldn't be so confident.

I also think the new coaches could have a big impact at the Dragons. I was critical of Lyn Jones during his final couple of seasons at the Ospreys, but I do think he's one of the best Welsh coaches going. Kingsley Jones is an experienced coach as well, and really understands the game. I think we'll see a much more competitive Dragons side this coming season, although whether they can translate that into victories against better opposition is to be seen.

Pity about Cory Allen, anyone have any info about the injury, or how long he's likely to be out for. I do think he and Owen Williams and Patchell could form a potent midfield if given the chance.

I also think the new coaches could have a big impact at the Dragons. I was critical of Lyn Jones during his final couple of seasons at the Ospreys, but I do think he's one of the best Welsh coaches going. Kingsley Jones is an experienced coach as well, and really understands the game. I think we'll see a much more competitive Dragons side this coming season, although whether they can translate that into victories against better opposition is to be seen.

Pity about Cory Allen, anyone have any info about the injury, or how long he's likely to be out for. I do think he and Owen Williams and Patchell could form a potent midfield if given the chance.

Lyn is forever remembered in my mind for completely and utterly messing up the Ospreys side that a large proportion of had just been in a Grand Slam winning side. Saracens 2008. Just dreadful. That was one of the best chances of a Heineken Cup win for a Welsh team down the drain.

I can't see the Dragons coming anything other than 4th best Welsh region though. They have the worst front five in the league apart from possibly Zebre. Phil Price, Dan Way, Nathan Buck, Adam S Jones, Ian Nimmo ....

Lyn is forever remembered in my mind for completely and utterly messing up the Ospreys side that a large proportion of had just been in a Grand Slam winning side. Saracens 2008. Just dreadful. That was one of the best chances of a Heineken Cup win for a Welsh team down the drain.

I can't see the Dragons coming anything other than 4th best Welsh region though. They have the worst front five in the league apart from possibly Zebre. Phil Price, Dan Way, Nathan Buck, Adam S Jones, Ian Nimmo ....
Yep, same as every other year. Our only positive is Screech joining. Maybe we can lure Charteris back. Our back row is relatively competitive, and we have some decent backs now.

Great to see Allen and Williams together. With any luck Hewitt-Evans will only see light of day during the LV.
Williams is really our next best outside centre option after Davies. Scott Williams always seem to be used at inside centre for whatever reason, while Bishop offers nothing in attack. Hope the Os use Ben John more in midfield.

Latest posts