• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

Yeah, I thought Allen and Williams looked good together. There's a very nice blend of power and pace there, and both understand how to straighten the line. Given a run of games they should really start playing off one an other and become a better combo. Is Owen Williams likely to be fit for this weekend after going off injured last week?

Owen Williams won't play this weekend, no. I'm growing into a really big fan of him. He's a really lively attacker and, I agree, must be in Wales contention, at least if only we didn't have a 13 who is officially Better Than Brian O'Driscoll™. Allen looked solid, which is an encouraging start, hopefully he'll slide out of his shell a bit more with a few games under his belt and begin to assert himself. They could make for a terrific partnership, especially with Patchell to play off.

The new Newport Gwent Dragons Development team beat Oxford University XV 20-16
Apparently had the support of Prem coaches who released players to participate.
Great idea, much like the how the Aviva Prem sides have an A side.

Geraint O'Driscoll (Newport), Lewis Hudd (Academy), Matthew Pewtner (Dragons), Lewis Robling (Dragons), Ashton Hewitt (Academy), Steffan Jones (Dragons), Luke Jones (Dragons); Nathan Williams (Dragons), Henry Palmer (Cross Keys/Blackwood), Alex Jeffries (Academy), Joe Davies (Academy), Adam Jones (Capt, Dragons), Dan Crimmins (Bedwas), Oliver Griffiths (Academy), James Benjamin (Academy).

Replacements:
Rhys Hutchinson (Bedwas), Luke Garrett (Academy), Joe Mills (Bedwas), Scott Andrews (Academy), Deryn Jones (Academy), James Sawyer (Bedwas), Owen Davies (Academy/Monmouth School), Ethan Davies (Academy), Tyler Morgan (Academy).

The new Newport Gwent Dragons Development team beat Oxford University XV 20-16
Apparently had the support of Prem coaches who released players to participate.
Great idea, much like the how the Aviva Prem sides have an A side.

Geraint O'Driscoll (Newport), Lewis Hudd (Academy), Matthew Pewtner (Dragons), Lewis Robling (Dragons), Ashton Hewitt (Academy), Steffan Jones (Dragons), Luke Jones (Dragons); Nathan Williams (Dragons), Henry Palmer (Cross Keys/Blackwood), Alex Jeffries (Academy), Joe Davies (Academy), Adam Jones (Capt, Dragons), Dan Crimmins (Bedwas), Oliver Griffiths (Academy), James Benjamin (Academy).

Replacements:
Rhys Hutchinson (Bedwas), Luke Garrett (Academy), Joe Mills (Bedwas), Scott Andrews (Academy), Deryn Jones (Academy), James Sawyer (Bedwas), Owen Davies (Academy/Monmouth School), Ethan Davies (Academy), Tyler Morgan (Academy).

Agreed. Would probably be useful to have regional "A" sides in the British & Irish Cup like the Irish do instead of PP sides. Will never happen, but should.

The issue is that Premiership clubs wouldn't want to give up either their top players or spots in the BIC and only have the Prem to play in. It would really help develop some depth. Fair play to Lyn Jones on doing something to try and build a squad, rather than sign the rejects. (Cough Paul Turner...).

So the Blues have sacked their defence coach after the disaster at Exeter.

Apparently the short list for their attack coach includes Iestyn Harries, Mark Ring and two SH candidates.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-axe-defence-coach-6195966

Edit. Hadn't realised that Ian Evans was left out from the clash with Leinster, he wasn't injured! King is an exciting prospect, but Evans is a top international player. Wtf was Tandy thinking?

Last edited:
Evans was injured by the looks of it from the Ospreys website.
I thought Harris should have been considered a few years back.

Looks like McIntosh is the new Blues defensive coach. He's been producing the goods at Ponty, so hopefully he'll have a positive impact on the Blues defence.

I've been thinking of ways that the regions could bring in more money, and it got me wondering...

Is it possible to put on a summer tournament, to run after the summer internationals (internationals are exempt from playing)? I was thinking of three consecutive weekends of double-headers between the regions. There wouldn't be any football or international distraction, there's the added bonus of summer-style running rugby and with double-headers you can emphasise it as a day-out kind of an event. As an all-Welsh event, you can also emphasise the rivalry. Ticket prices would have to be reasonable, but double-headers can be attractive to fans and it could sell a lot of tickets if there was the right atmosphere about the tournament.

Strike me down if it's a daft suggestion! The main issue is whether fans would buy into it. I'm not sure, especially without internationals. But I get so bored with the lack of summer rugby that, if I were living in Cardiff, as I may be soon, a double-header for the right price would be very tempting... hell, you might even tap into the market of bored Bath/Glos/Bristol fans.

I know it's three extra rounds of rugby in a long season, but it's only as much as the "extra rugby" that internationals would play, so hopefully that isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Maybe a inter-region 7s tournement would be better? The season is long enough as it is. Let's not wear the players out too much. Problem is, there are only 4 regions. Either they could have multiple teams, or we could have WRPA-registered players all declared avaliable to form a 7s team and enter amongst themselves? That would be great.

Problem is the players arguably play too much these days. Their summer break lasts for barely a month before preseason training.

Chief has done a good job at Ponty, let's see if he can step up. Seems like the blues have some names to replace Baber, such as Harris and Ring. Also after a few new signings, such as a centre and 8.

Henry Paul?
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBMOueMZq4[/video]

Who is Billy Millard? Connacht and NYAC...

Harris please. I think he could have a huge influence on Rhys Patchell who's missing an experienced role model at the Blues to help him develop.

So Mike Phillips has been sacked, or at least, must have come pretty close considering the amount of media its getting. What do we think the chances are that a region might pick him up?

Latest posts