• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad under Gatland

Tbh Gatland probably thinks that for a young player like Tshiunza it's more important to get game time than to hold tackle bags for an extra week. If he wasn't going to be in the 23 (which is perfectly understandable given the Welsh flanker options) then I think it makes sense.

It's not like he's binned him off in week 2; Tshiunza will have learnt everything there is to learn about the camp and now he also gets some game time. Win win.

Maybe he thinks it's in his best interests to not get mullered by the French pack.
I would say that's a stupid reason. Getting mullered by the French pack would be a great learning experience. On the flip side a good individual performance would also be great for him. Win-win in my book.

Tbh Gatland probably thinks that for a young player like Tshiunza it's more important to get game time than to hold tackle bags for an extra week. If he wasn't going to be in the 23 (which is perfectly understandable given the Welsh flanker options) then I think it makes sense.

It's not like he's binned him off in week 2; Tshiunza will have learnt everything there is to learn about the camp and now he also gets some game time. Win win.
This is the reason apparently, he was never going to be in the 23 this weekend and I think if that's the case they have to be released back to their English clubs. I would say not having in the 23 is stupid when you think we've got Adam Beard starting every minute and even not considering him as a lock it's stil stupid not to give him 20 mins off the bench as back row cover.

But most importantly of all is that he's played well. Played well in a complete shambles of a team no less.

I never said it was a good reason.
I know. Wales on line say thst apparently Gatland wants him to work on his carrying, doesn't think he does enough given his size. Beard first name of the team sheet though who's 6,8 and almost 19 stone.

A thought I had re England and Wales challenges - is it not just bringing new coaches in world cup year being a little underestimated?

Every other team seems well drilled and ready for the world cup, while us and England don't know what we're doing and trying to find the right team, implement new tactics with a new coaching team in limited time. Thoughts on this being a bigger differential than maybe being considered?

A thought I had re England and Wales challenges - is it not just bringing new coaches in world cup year being a little underestimated?

Every other team seems well drilled and ready for the world cup, while us and England don't know what we're doing and trying to find the right team, implement new tactics with a new coaching team in limited time. Thoughts on this being a bigger differential than maybe being considered?
Tbh I think that for both sides the main issue is selection where players not at their best have been continually picked and younger players haven't been given as many opportunities. It's resulted in both sides not knowing who their best players are and racing to try and find a combination that works. This then leads to the players not being well drilled because there is no consistency.

I was happy that England got rid of Jones, but I was hopeful they would get a proven coach in who could turn them around quickly. I was disappointed with Borthwick's appointment and I think he's shown he's not the man to turn things around for this world cup. In hindsight I would now say England should've kept Jones and just hoped he could pull a miracle out the bag.

Yeah what a shame. In my opinion was a true world class player when fit and was a key player for us. I was hopeful of him being jettisoned straight back into the WC squad as he's so good at clearing out and generally his work at the breakdown is very good which we've missed in his absence. Sounds like a no brainier for him though, don't want to take any risks especially with your neck. All the best Josh, you'll be missed.

So, with the regular season over, which players may have forced their way into Gatland's thinking for the WC?

Up front I think Domachowski and Asseratti should both be in serious contention. Both have shown some solid/dominant scrummaging which some of our other options have lacked. We are threadbare at tighthead especially with Francis' form being poor for a while now and Dillon Lewis regressing back into a guaranteed penalty at every scrum.

Whilst talking about props, Nicky Smith deserves a spot in the WC squad ahead of the likes of Wyn Jones, who's still struggling with form and behind Mathias at the Scarlets.

There's always a ton of options in the backrow, and yesterday Basham and Young sent out reminders of their quality. Another who's impressed me consistently is Botham, a real all rounder!

Gareth Davies should have done more than enough over the past few months to earn a recall at 9. I feel like a broken record, but at 10 Jarrod Evans and Costellow need to be involved.

I have no idea if Hawkins is even an option for Gatland after his announced move to Exeter, we'll have to wait and see. Llewellyn could come into contention after another strong showing v Ospreys, with Grady also excelling, albeit on the wing.

One final name I'd like to mention is Angus O'Brien. He's probably been the best welsh fullback this year in between spells on the sideline for concussion. With his ability to play 15 and 10 he could be a useful option at a WC. His kicking from hand is a real bonus too.

So, with the regular season over, which players may have forced their way into Gatland's thinking for the WC?

Up front I think Domachowski and Asseratti should both be in serious contention. Both have shown some solid/dominant scrummaging which some of our other options have lacked. We are threadbare at tighthead especially with Francis' form being poor for a while now and Dillon Lewis regressing back into a guaranteed penalty at every scrum.

Whilst talking about props, Nicky Smith deserves a spot in the WC squad ahead of the likes of Wyn Jones, who's still struggling with form and behind Mathias at the Scarlets.

There's always a ton of options in the backrow, and yesterday Basham and Young sent out reminders of their quality. Another who's impressed me consistently is Botham, a real all rounder!

Gareth Davies should have done more than enough over the past few months to earn a recall at 9. I feel like a broken record, but at 10 Jarrod Evans and Costellow need to be involved.

I have no idea if Hawkins is even an option for Gatland after his announced move to Exeter, we'll have to wait and see. Llewellyn could come into contention after another strong showing v Ospreys, with Grady also excelling, albeit on the wing.

One final name I'd like to mention is Angus O'Brien. He's probably been the best welsh fullback this year in between spells on the sideline for concussion. With his ability to play 15 and 10 he could be a useful option at a WC. His kicking from hand is a real bonus too.
I guess Jarrod Evans is no longer an option now as he's signed for Quins.

Another observation is if Tomow Williams is allowed to play his natural game, which he did yesterday i.e. quick taps etc. he's an awesome rugby player!

Feel like he's under order most of the time to play safe, box kick anything in his own half, and not to waste the territorial gain of kicking to touch from a penalty by taking quick taps.

It's shocking. I'm gutted but the blow is softened a bit by Lloyd coming back and Peel saying he's going to use him as a 10.
Very different players though. Lloyd is all about his running game.

There's very few players in world rugby with Jarrod's ability of putting others into space! He showed it again yesterday. He has that rugby league esque. ability of taking the ball right to the line and picking the right pass 90% of the time.

He should have probably headed north rather than south!

Realised I missed Johnny Williams from my list of players above. Expect him to be heavily involved in WC preparations.

Yeah I expect Johnny Williams to be involved. I would love Basham to have a crack but I doubt Gatland will fancy him which I disagree with but understandable with Tipuric, Morgan and Reffell in the mix.

Morgan Morris should be given an opportunity in one of the warm up games and I'd also like to have another look at Seb Davies in the row seeing as for some bizarre reason we refuse to look at Tshiunza there.

I see Leon Brown is injured again, need to just write him off, he can't stay fit. Annoying.

Very different players though. Lloyd is all about his running game.

There's very few players in world rugby with Jarrod's ability of putting others into space! He showed it again yesterday. He has that rugby league esque. ability of taking the ball right to the line and picking the right pass 90% of the time.

He should have probably headed north rather than south!
Yeah, different players for sure but will be good to have a fast, running, young option at 10. Costelow looks good but lacks that killer step and pace for me. They're both 22 so lots of time and room for improvement, though.

Apparently Hawkins has 6 days to prove he signed for Exeter before winning his first cap or he misses the WC. You've got to think if he did sign before winning his first cap he would've done it weeks ago so doesn't look good for him.

preliminary 45 man WC squad announced today. We'll find out about Rowlands and Hawkins. My guess is they both miss out due to not having 25 caps. Fingers crossed they're ok, especially Rowlands.

Latest posts