• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What aren't you listening to?

Ah, the new Daft Punk album is absolute dog sh*t.
Quite liked their old stuff, and was looking forward to the new album but then they apparently just diarrhoead all over a studio and produced that.
People were going absolutely nuts over it when it was released, but I bet 99% would think it was terrible if it didn't have "Daft Punk" or "Pharrell Williams" written all over it.
I thought Daft Punk to write the same song over and over, and all I know about Pharrell Williams is that he did a song with Snoop Dogg years ago.

But I really like RAM. To me, RAM is Daft Punk's "White Album". Nothing is too ground breaking, and there's a pretty big range in quality of the songs, but the sheer variety of the styles make it a compelling listen. I don't get bored after 20 minutes, because every song on the album is different. The Pharrell Williams' songs are easily the most commercially accessible on the album, and not my favourites (although they're probably not the worst). I prefer Touch, Doin' It Right, Instant Crush, Give Life Back to Music and Contact.

Went to a Chevelle concert back in May (got to meet the band, too!) and ever since have mostly been listening to their stuff. Here's one from their last album:

(Today I had a rough day, though...so listened mostly to Korn's dubstep CD...my 'angry' music)

das

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone like the Undertones?:

I never 'got' The Residents.
It always seemed to me a bunch of ****ty musicians and art school dropouts wanted to do something 'significant' but realised they had to skill, so they called it a 'performance'. What the **** is that all about?

TRAGICALLY HIP!!!!! I cannot let you all know how PASSIONATELY I LOATHE THIS BAND AND IT'S FANS WITH EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING!!!!!!!! I hate their bland sound, the fact they are constantly on Canadian radio to satisfy our Canadian musical content requirements(30%...except for one or two border stastions which are at 20%), their lead singer sounds like he has a corncob up his butt and a cloathspin on his nose. But I have to give them credit after their first couple of slightly less egregiously horrible albums which got limited play in the States and it was clear they wouldn't get huge there they hit upon a brilliant marketing strategy....lets make our music "canadian" by inserting random and obsure Canadian figures and cultural references to our songs....and for some ****ed up reason it was a massive success!!!!

Here are some personal gems I've heard from hardcore hip fans.....

Idiot greenhouse co-worker who liked the hip "You can't like hockey if you don't like the hip, because the hip have songs about hockey" My response..."Even if that mentally retarded fallacy were true I would gladly never watch an Ice Hockey game ever again than call myself a hip fan"

Random douche on another forum years ago "I guess it's true that the Hip have only ever had limited exposure at best in the United States...but they've never really strove for American success." My retort "Why on earth would anyone deliberately ignore a market ten times the size of Canada, which is extremely similar in culture and tastes? Or is it that US radio stations didn't need an average band to help fill up 30% of their airtime"

Comment I read on a friends status on FB(he announced he was going to a free show the Hip had in Niagara on the Lake and a girl he knew responded with) "Wow you've never been to a hip concert....I'm more Canadian than you" My response....look at girl's photo memorize face, make mental note to NEVER speak to if met at bar or party....hide status from news feed...

There are more it's so awful, their fan base has some bizarro nationalistic thing where the think they are great patriots for listening to the band, they tend to be those Canadians that travel abroad with the maple leaf on their backpack and tell you all how to run your countries(they particularly like bashing the US)...they also beleive Canadian health care "is free" even though it's virtually no different than the UK's National health service or any other national insurance scheme(actually it is different it's worse than most European countries systems). They think Tim Hortons is great coffee, even though my half drunk Maxwell house blend is better...need I go on...

Rant Over.....

Oh, LG, they are so ****. It's like they were told to be a really **** version of REM, but then began to take themselves seriously.
Sounds like a 'No true Canadian' situation.

That opening monologue, are they trying to be edgy? Imagine a world where these guys don't exist. People give Nickelback some ****, but these guys deserve some spread their way. Thank god it hasn't spread.

Oh, LG, they are so ****. It's like they were told to be a really **** version of REM, but then began to take themselves seriously.
Sounds like a 'No true Canadian' situation.

That opening monologue, are they trying to be edgy? Imagine a world where these guys don't exist. People give Nickelback some ****, but these guys deserve some spread their way. Thank god it hasn't spread.

Edit: I couldn''t even finish that monologue...just so cheesy I had to stop the video....

I think they are too crap to spread, like Nickleback are bad, but these guys are beyond horrible, if I was your Imperious dictator of the known universe I would subject them to a fate worse than death....listen to their own music for a hour and a half....

Here is another gem......"aaddd ad hundrud maridiannnn leet the graaand plaains begin" STFU YOU DONKEYS

Out of interest Little Guy, are Our Lady Peace big in Canada? They've been one of my favourite bands for the past 10 years, but they are relatively unknown over here, wondering if they have a bigger status over there?

Out of interest Little Guy, are Our Lady Peace big in Canada? They've been one of my favourite bands for the past 10 years, but they are relatively unknown over here, wondering if they have a bigger status over there?

They were HUGE in the mid 90's through early 00's here, I liked Our Lady, I thought they had some good tunes and were a bright spot in the alternative era especially for a Canadian band. They had the grade 7-10 ladies eating out of their palms back then LOL. They got some limited play in the States especially on rock channels, their albums since 2002 haven't been as big though they have had one or two singles that got some recognition.

Unpopular opinion time:

Of the "Big 4" of thrash, the order went:

1. Anthrax
2. Slayer (Anthrax/Slayer could have been done in any order, both are pretty awesome)
3. Metallica's first four albums
4. Megadeth
5. rest of Metallica

**** Metallica:

Latest posts