• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What do you expect realisticly from your country at the RWC?

Ozzay

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Saracens
Being welsh i don't really expect much, i can't see wales changing alot and changing their predictable gameplan. But i do expect the quarters at least, i can't see us going any further than that.

You have an absolute whore of a group and both Fiji and Samoa are teams on the up. I think you may struggle.

As for Ireland, I hope we will beat Australia and head towards a semi but I expect us to scrape past Italy, lose by 15 to Australia and go out with a whimper at the quarters.

QF's anything worse then last time... well it can't get any worse so yea.

For Countries Like South Africa, Australia and New Zealand; anything less than lifting the Cup will be a Fail. Definitely the Main and only True Contenders for the ***le; no other teams/nations will come close.

South Africa have a lot of work to do to get themselves up to the level of New Zealand and Australia...

For Countries Like South Africa, Australia and New Zealand; anything less than lifting the Cup will be a Fail. Definitely the Main and only True Contenders for the ***le; no other teams/nations will come close.

Well...England and France stand a shot. France can knock anyone out when things go their way, and England have a habbit of performing better in a RWC year, then they perhaps deserve. Historically, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia have always been favourites, and yet France has made it to two finals, and England has made it to three (including winning one). I hope New Zealand wins, but one thing I think most New Zealanders won't be doing, is taking teams for granted.

On form, you'd have to say England has had a better run going into the World Cup, than South Africa. South Africa still seem to employ similar tactics to 2009, and their players look ancient. England on the other hand have adapted better than anyone would have hoped for. They have got a good forward pack, but they now have given their backs a bit of room to run and score tries. France has been woeful lately, but that means nothing with the French.

South Africa have a lot of work to do to get themselves up to the level of New Zealand and Australia...
And Australia have a way to go to match New Zealand.

Have to say, while I know we dont deserve to much respect I'm a little surprised how the majority of Australian fans are completely dismissing Irelands chances against them in the group phase. I'm not saying Ireland are that great, but Australia have been fairly inconsistent for a while now. If any team is capable of slipping up, you'd imagine its them.

I'd be disappointed if England didn't make the final, but realistically making the semis is alright too

At this stage i think Robbie Deans is doing a good job, the team is improving every year and should be in good form during the world cup. Due to this i think they will make the final. Compared to 2007, we are in much better shape.

It is impossible to pick this early though, everything at this stage is a vague guess.

- NZ are clear favorites.
- I wouldn't say SA has too much ground to make up WRT Aus at all. At least we managed to put England away and we were unlucky to lose the last game against Aus last year with that Kurtley Beale penalty. We have a good track record at RWCs and our style is better suited to a knock-out environment
- much like England and France who can beat anyone at a RWC one-off and shouldn't be taken lightly
- Ireland are also a dark horse and certainly have it in them to challenge if they can hit form and string a couple of performances together or get lucky

For me, realistically, I would be devatated if SA didn't reach the semi's (we tend to perform well at RWC's; won 1995, unlucky to bow out in a tight game in 1999 against the eventual champions, had the worst EVER Springbok team competing in the RWC 2003 and won again in 2007). From there I have faith the old dogs have enough bite to come good for one last tournament.

Unrealistically (or is it?); Ireland beats Aus in the pool stages to set up a Aus-SA QF, NZ-SA semi and Eng-SA final. That to me would be a fairy-tale RWC with SA the victors of course.

Last edited:
I'm cautiously optimistic about Ireland's chances in this WC, if they can head into the warm up matches with the same form we saw against England I reckon we'd be in good shape for the semis.

But hey I was optimistic about reaching the semis in the last WC too so what do I know. :rolleyes:

How can you Guys say SA have a way to go to be at New Zealands standard. Injury Prone Stormers beat a pretty much full strength Blues team in their own backyard; Cheetahs beat Crusaders and don't use injuries as excuse cos Cheetahs have Juan Smith, Heinrich Brussouw, Fran Viljoen, Philip Burger and Andries Strauss out injured. All the Top Boks are gaining form again Botha, Matfield, Du Preez, Steyn. J.Fourie, J.De Villiers, Burger, Spies, Rossouw, etc. Can't comment until some Tri-Nations has been played. South Africa will Defend the ***le in New Zealand, i have no worries. How many rugby World Cup ***les have New Zealand won in the Professional Era?...can't wait to hear the excuses...

Last edited:
Italy to beat Ireland and Ireland to beat Australia would be very spicy :D
I hope the QF for Italy, hard, but more possible than 2007, the group is now strong and most important this time the team has complete faith in the coach.
NM did a great job in these 4 years, I hope for him (and the players who keep trusting him) Italy could make the QF.

To stick it in FIR's (Italian rugby federation) management, and enjoying some heads falling.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we made the quarters with the way things are going.
I was expecting us to make the semis last time around, so I've rather reined myself in this time!!

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we made the quarters with the way things are going.
I was expecting us to make the semis last time around, so I've rather reined myself in this time!!

I Think you guys have a pretty Solid Squad; just about choosing the Best Combinations.

How can you Guys say SA have a way to go to be at New Zealands standard. Injury Prone Stormers beat a pretty much full strength Blues team in their own backyard; Cheetahs beat Crusaders and don't use injuries as excuse cos Cheetahs have Juan Smith, Heinrich Brussouw, Fran Viljoen, Philip Burger and Andries Strauss out injured. All the Top Boks are gaining form again Botha, Matfield, Du Preez, Steyn. J.Fourie, J.De Villiers, Burger, Spies, Rossouw, etc. Can't comment until some Tri-Nations has been played. South Africa will Defend the ***le in New Zealand, i have no worries. How many rugby World Cup ***les have New Zealand won in the Professional Era?...can't wait to hear the excuses...

Super rugby =/= International rugby.

Last 3 games between the teams:
New Zealand 32 12 South Africa
New Zealand 31 17 South Africa
South Africa 22 29 New Zealand

Call me crazy, but on the basis of their most recent meetings South Africa appear to be off the pace.

Super rugby =/= International rugby.

Last 3 games between the teams:
New Zealand 32 12 South Africa
New Zealand 31 17 South Africa
South Africa 22 29 New Zealand

Call me crazy, but on the basis of their most recent meetings South Africa appear to be off the pace.

No Problems there, but 6 Months in World Rugby is a lot of time for things to change. There is still Tri-nations coming and the Current Superugby to regain form. Boks were useless in 06' and Won the World Cup in 07'. All about hitting your straps at the right time; New Zealand always seem to get that wrong, and Peak in between World Cups. Pity it seems that SA and NZ will meet in Semi...would have been a great Final...Defending Champions and the Most consistently No.1 team in World Rugby, New Zealand.

Last edited:
As for Scotland, so long as I can switch off the telly saying "Wow, the boys put in some real effort and played the best they could do given their opponents. This gives me good hope for the future, as we have a competent coach, and several players that will still be around for a few years without getting too old."

I would be happy with that, if we lose to Argentina and England, but the players put in a good shift, well you can't ask for any more than that.

Saying that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we made the quaterfinals, but seeing as the second placed team in our group will have the arduous (sp) task of taking on NZ, well lets just say I think New Zealand won't choke until at least the semi-final :p

...I'm still miffed as to why A R picked Jack Cuthbert for the Scotland squad, one of Bath's weaker players although I'm sure he'll put maximum effort in.

As for my team, I expect England to get to the quater finals and hopefully get through to the Semi-Finals. To get to the final again would be ridiculous but not unwelcome, the England squad will peak in about two years time and be of no use by the time the next RWC comes through so they should probably give it a go on this one!

m0rris

My expectations are the same as always. Get into the quarter finals and after that anything can happen. Should we win the group, we'll face one of Fiji, Samoa or Wales. Should we come second, we'll get South Africa. We've beaten all of those teams in the past so there should be no fear.

all I want is a win against one of the big SH teams. Lord knows we'll get the chance.

Latest posts