• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What games are you playing?

The thing with the new Civ's is to use the nation's attributes to your advantage. And work from there.

I've always found that the first couple of turns are most vital, no matter the difficulty you're playing. And it's also vital to get that second city out there, preferably next to the coast if your capital city is inland.

Oh, and don't disregard religion and faith. It has a nasty habit to bite you later in the game.

Thanks. Usually I don't let myself play a new game on anything less than the middle difficulty setting, but will be checking my ego in at the door for Civilisation. I completed the tutorial by doing what I was told the first time around, the second time, I played it through to what would have been a science victory if it was possible to complete the tutorial that way. The coast thing seemed important - I struggled to get enough food before I caught on to that. I also struggled because I realised that I was ignoring ameneties because I didn't know how / where to monitor how cities were doing. I didn't struggle with religion / faith, no doubt I have that to look forward to!

What do you make fo this guide? https://www.withoutthesarcasm.com/beginners-guide-civilization-6/ Reddit seems to think it is decent. There are plenty of guides out there, but some of those I've skimmed over contradict each other and I dont want to confuse myself following bad information.

Started playing this yesterday. Despite 30+ years of on and off gaming, I've never played Civilisation. Anyone got any tips / guides for a noob? I've been through the tutorial, a couple of times, and learnt the basic mechanics and picked up a few things myself, but I'm sure there's masses that I'm missing out on.
Yea @TRF_heineken is mostly right but he got it wrong on the religion thing, it's not worth your production and if you start playing against deity or human player online then it's not worth your production. If you play against me with a strong religion focus then in no time my tanks and jets will be knocking down your cities. Or if I play a culture type game I will make your cities lose loyalty with my superior culture and strong tourism sector all while you waste time in sending missionaries to my cities. If you convert my cities to your religion then I still get benefits from it so no biggie.

Some tips.

• Always settle immediately with your settler, don't waste time and walk around, generally your starting location is best.
  • First thing you build is a scout, then set that boy on automate and let the glorious exploration begin, the goals is for the scout to find tribal villages which can be very over powered early game
  • Build a warrior, then worker then warrior then archer. This is to firstly defend your city from barbarians but also a worker to get your city production and food going.
  • In the early stages your city should be focusing on food because you need food to grow the city and you need population to build settlers. A monument may indirectly help you get more food by expanding your borders and gaining more arable land.
  • Once you see barbarian scouts kill them or they will lure hordes of barbarians to your infantile city.
  • Once you have built about three military units, a worker, and a scout or two then you must build your first settler, don't waste time as more cities give you more production power.
  • Don't send your settlers out on their own, let a warrior accompany them, research archers they are good at dealing with Barbarians
  • Your research early game should be based on what's around you. Do you see mines? Then research mining first. Do you have rice or corn? Then research plantations first. Food always gets priority early game then production then gold.
  • First goal for your next city is food and production your first city will keep on popping our settlers soon while all your other cities will just focus on bettering themselves. Research early empire under your civics asap so that you can get less 50% on production cost for settlers.

Now how you play starts dedpeinding on your civ, make sure to know if you are a early game civ or late game civ then focus research towards your uninique units and buildings focus that. I will give a more detailed update later, gotta do some work now...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamera...ers-op-korea-sweden-macedon-mali-germany/amp/

The above link can be used as a style guide for specific civs or types of victory you are going for.

If you go for early game victory then someone like Scythia can pump out hundreds of cheap horse archers to overwhelm the enemy very quickly but you won't win if you don't end the game very quickly. Rome on the other hand has early game units for domination victory such as the legion and they can get a strong economy going with the all roads lead to Rome trait, automatic roads everywhere.

Someone such as Eleanor of Aquitaine can help you win a domination victory without ever attacking an enemy civ. Make sure you can defend yourself if people get ****** with you but the goal is to invest in culture and produce great works then you place the great works close to enemy borders and near their cities soon you will see a domino effect of cities losing loyalty to their original masters and joining your civ. This strategy is bound to **** off human players so they will retaliate with military force, so then make sure you can Atleast defend those new cities

I like a civ such as Germany, they can build one extra district, they have a unique production district called the Hansa. Your goal with them is to survive early game and just get your Hansa (factories) going. Late game you outproduce every other country in the game, you can pick and choose a victory type because your production is good. Wamt warfare? Done right they can send out huge numbers of military units, or quickly build science buildings or culture buildings for science and culture victories respectively. The unique submarine u boats are powerful if you rush them when your science is strong.

Thanks for all of that @unrated . I've played and read enough for all of that to make sense, I'll try to enact your advice the next time I have a few hours to devote to it.

Yea @TRF_heineken is mostly right but he got it wrong on the religion thing, it's not worth your production and if you start playing against deity or human player online then it's not worth your production. If you play against me with a strong religion focus then in no time my tanks and jets will be knocking down your cities. Or if I play a culture type game I will make your cities lose loyalty with my superior culture and strong tourism sector all while you waste time in sending missionaries to my cities. If you convert my cities to your religion then I still get benefits from it so no biggie.

Some tips.

• Always settle immediately with your settler, don't waste time and walk around, generally your starting location is best.
  • First thing you build is a scout, then set that boy on automate and let the glorious exploration begin, the goals is for the scout to find tribal villages which can be very over powered early game
  • Build a warrior, then worker then warrior then archer. This is to firstly defend your city from barbarians but also a worker to get your city production and food going.
  • In the early stages your city should be focusing on food because you need food to grow the city and you need population to build settlers. A monument may indirectly help you get more food by expanding your borders and gaining more arable land.
  • Once you see barbarian scouts kill them or they will lure hordes of barbarians to your infantile city.
  • Once you have built about three military units, a worker, and a scout or two then you must build your first settler, don't waste time as more cities give you more production power.
  • Don't send your settlers out on their own, let a warrior accompany them, research archers they are good at dealing with Barbarians
  • Your research early game should be based on what's around you. Do you see mines? Then research mining first. Do you have rice or corn? Then research plantations first. Food always gets priority early game then production then gold.
  • First goal for your next city is food and production your first city will keep on popping our settlers soon while all your other cities will just focus on bettering themselves. Research early empire under your civics asap so that you can get less 50% on production cost for settlers.

Now how you play starts dedpeinding on your civ, make sure to know if you are a early game civ or late game civ then focus research towards your uninique units and buildings focus that. I will give a more detailed update later, gotta do some work now...

We are a lot alike in how we go about things, and I do all these things too.

But what I do first, is see if there's a capital city of another nation very close to mine. If so, instead of building a settler, I'd use the policy where ancient military melee units are discounted, then try and spawn about 5 or 6 warriors, and get them as fast as possible to that capital and wait on the outskirts of its borders, making sure you have enough warriors to storm the city and prevent it from autohealing. Then when they spawn a settler, go to capture the settler and also storm the capital. That way you can get a city while also being able to start another city close by and also stopping the enemy from invading you and limiting your expansion area early on.

I personally like to play with the nations who either have an additional policy like germany or greece, or nations with strong early military units like Montezuma, Sumeria, or Rome.

What I meant by religion was that it has the potential to be a real ****le and bother your capital city quite a lot. If you are in an area that has more production tiles than food tiles, then your faith would be more focused on getting food, if another nation's missionaries/apostles come to convert your city, it could have a blowback on your production as they prevent your own faith from producing food, meaning your city won't grow and your production will be slowed down.

Started Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Saturday, got it for a bargain on Days of Play on PSN.

Really enjoying it so far, and wasn't too hard to get back into the AC mode after missing our on Origin and Syndicate.

Cyberpunk delayed a couple more months - I've really lost all hype for that now.

In better news: EA have announced Skate 4.
Can't. Bloody. Wait.

Cyberpunk delayed a couple more months - I've really lost all hype for that now.
Honestly if it means they are not flogging their developers to death as happens with all AAA games I'll take delays over that. Its whats made a little trepid about buying the TLOU2 and when I got RDR2 no simple answer for consumers except not buying the massively popular game that will succeed anyway.

Honestly if it means they are not flogging their developers to death
They 100% will be still, a lot of people (i.e. Reddit) hold up CD Projekt as some bastion of hope because they like their games a lot but they're as guilty as any other company of overworking their employees and have said as much in interviews.
There's obviously a 90 day countdown to release they do (each delay has been 91 days from release) - they should just announce the actual date when that 90 day cycle begins, and have a generic "fall"/"end of year" type release before hand.
It's just a bad look to keep doing this.

Last edited:
Had another bash at RUSE, a golden oldie and some of the campaign missions are genuinely bloody difficult. Also the original C&C remaster, which has levels that are difficult but more down to poor/frustrating old design. I remember why I gave up on this as a kid, as an adult it is still difficult! Did No Man's Sky for a while but it gets pretty boring, there isn't a huge amount of reward in the game and you are kinda left just base building, which isn't implemented very well. Bit of Kerbal Space Program after the ISS mission too.

They claim DBZ: Kakarot 100% is 53.5hrs, and I probably put double than that in haha

Didn't realise Ghost of Tsushima is out tomorrow - really snuck up on me.
Early reviews all sound good, and it looks incredible.
Not sure when I'll pick it up - my backlog of games is too big to justify such a full on game, plus day one prices are a killer
I might even wait and get it when PS5 rolls around

Been playing a fair bit of Kenshi. It's an interesting game that fills a pretty unique niche and I believe it was basically one guy who did it. Graphics are pretty poor, long loading times, bugs etc but for a one man / small team project it is pretty impressive and the core concept is very good IMO. Apparently they are working on Kenshi 2 with a superior engine and looking to further flesh it out. I'd be very inclined to get that if it is an improvement on 1.

For those that don't know, Kenshi is a strange hybrid RPG / Squad / Base builder game where your characters are nothing special and early game you will routinely get beaten up (literally you can have your early squad swamped by starving bandits who will bet you up, steal your food then leave). The way combat works is interesting too, it's pretty unlikely you will actually die in most encounters unless the thing attacking you actually wants to kill you (usually hunting creatures). Starving bandits beat you up for food, slavers will beat you up and take you as a slave. When a slave the game doesn't end, you continue as a slave and try to break free, which itself will likely have numerous futile attempts. Alternatively you can abandon anyone captures and play on with any other characters you have if you so choose.

In combat various body parts will take damage rather than just having a health bar. These can be healed over time after being treated, use splints to reduce the penalty of damaged limbs etc. Hunger causes stat loss and eventual death if you don't eat. You can also build up a base and farm / craft. Even this won't be easy as occasionally bandits will raid your base and can run off with your stuff unless you pack it all up ad evacuate in time, or until your defences are strong enough that you can fight them off.

The map is pretty huge with varied environments affecting what you can grow, environmental effects etc. It really is pretty unique out there and worth a look at on youtube if that sounds appealing.

Last edited:
Just finished all three Bioshocks (as they were released as a set on Switch)...last one a bit of a mind ****, a lot of fun...just missing some side quests, because only the main story they're only 20hr games

Reminds me how much I used to love Assassin's Creed.

Been playing a but of Shadow of War recently. Hadn't played the first one. The nemesis system is pretty cool as is being ghost Batman.

I got Assassin's Creed Odyssey 2 weeks ago from my cousin, and I can't stop playing, and after I saw the Valhalla trailer, I've already pre-ordered it.

I know Ubisoft got a lot of flak in the past, but Odyssey has won me over personally. I'm only on level 25 now, but it just keeps getting better.

Latest posts