• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What the Springbok team might look like for the B&I Lions tour (if it happens)

Sorry for the unrelated post but can't be bothered to start a thread, but does anyone know where the Australia v France game is being shown next Wednesday? I don't think it's being televised which I refuse to believe and thought I'd ask as I was really looking forward to watching it (more so than the mid week lions games anyway)

Sorry for the unrelated post but can't be bothered to start a thread, but does anyone know where the Australia v France game is being shown next Wednesday? I don't think it's being televised which I refuse to believe and thought I'd ask as I was really looking forward to watching it (more so than the mid week lions games anyway)
It's on Sky sports

In the words of Alex Sanderson (though about Manu) "If he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all"

Hopefully non-symptomatic and makes a quick recovery so can be in contention for the tests - would be such a kick in the balls to battle back from repeated serious injuries to then fall at the last hurdle to covid

In the words of Alex Sanderson (though about Manu) "If he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all"

Hopefully non-symptomatic and makes a quick recovery so can be in contention for the tests - would be such a kick in the balls to battle back from repeated serious injuries to then fall at the last hurdle to covid
Also he's always struck me as a taller Iain Henderson. At times, both have this look like they've just turned up 5 minutes earlier from their bed

Some questions still IMO.
Especially in that back row.

PSDT is nailed on.
But thought Van Staden had a good game, very unlucky about his Yellow IMO. (17 tackles in 54 minutes of rugby)
Kolisi looked great v Georgia but the difference between Georgia and that lions team is sizeable
Wiese started out nervous but thought he was really good in defence especially on the tryline. (also picked up a knock).
Smith certainly brings more mobility but is that what they want in the test team?
Elstadtat was solid

I'm, hoping Dan du Preez and JP gets starts this weekend.

SA should try and get Goosen into the squad now.
Kwagga Smith IMO just isn't a 8 it's a interesting try but would have him behind Dan du Preez or Wiese (At least the later two offer more in the physical side IMO).
JP will struggle at lock against a International team could maybe understand him as maybe lock cover on the bench though.

It's tough to judge I guess the forwards it was basically a well drill Bulls team v a team that prob trained together for the first time this week.
Boks have a issue at Loosehead IMO they should look at De Bruin in the AI's (Who is mainly a Tighthead but was destroying teams in the prem at LH)

I liked Bryan Habana's side, picked on Sky Sports

1. Kitshoff
2. Mbonambi
3. Malherbe
4. Eltzebeth
5. Mostert
6. Kolisi
7. Du Toit
8. Wiese
9. De Klerk
10. Pollard
11. Mapimpi
12. De Allende
13. Am
14. Kolbe
15. Le Roux

Lood is, I believe, back fit from injury (was due back the week of the prem final, which was like 3 weeks ago) but then caught covid - guessing that's keeping him out as if he's available for selection there's no way he wouldn't play one of the A games after being out for a few months

Snyman is out completely, I think - has to(/had to? not sure if it's happened yet) have skin grafts after a petrol/fire accident

Surely Nyakane must have played himself out of the Test 23?
TBF he was the form SA tighthead in 2019. That said I agree he hasn't had the best time coming back from injury and a very very long lay off. I don't think he'd be dropped from the bench though. Not enough rugby for the Bokke to make any 100% calls on form for anyone so they'll probably keep it conservative IOW as close to our 2019 RWC team as possible.
I liked Bryan Habana's side, picked on Sky Sports

1. Kitshoff
2. Mbonambi
3. Malherbe
4. Eltzebeth
5. Mostert
6. Kolisi
7. Du Toit
8. Wiese
9. De Klerk
10. Pollard
11. Mapimpi
12. De Allende
13. Am
14. Kolbe
15. Le Roux
That's probably it. If De Jager or Vermeulen get fit in time they will probably start off the bench. Not sure if Mapimpi is fit. Might be Nkosi or Fassi. The real questions are on the bench.

? 17/18 Koch / Nyakane, maybe even both with Nyakane shifting to LH. We don't really have more LH cover near the ability of Kitshoff with Beast retired.
16 Marx
19 Some lock or PSdT moving back to the engine room with long time Stormers partner Etzebeth
20 Not sure, Van Staaden or Kwagga probably though I think there are better options elsewhere. Marcel Coetzee could've been a shoe in as he could cover the whole back row but he looked very tired in domestic games and that is saying something as all SA teams look knackered by the 60 minute mark of late.
21 Jantjies

Beyond here is where the real question marks are thoughnot sure if it truly matters:
22 M Steyn / Jantjies- surely not!? / Goosen or Willemse as Hail Mary selections if chasing and able to cover multiple positions
23 F Steyn / Fassi / J Kriel / Willemse

TBF he was the form SA tighthead in 2019. That said I agree he hasn't had the best time coming back from injury and a very very long lay off. I don't think he'd be dropped from the bench though. Not enough rugby for the Bokke to make any 100% calls on form for anyone so they'll probably keep it conservative IOW as close to our 2019 RWC team as possible.

That's probably it. If De Jager or Vermeulen get fit in time they will probably start off the bench. Not sure if Mapimpi is fit. Might be Nkosi or Fassi. The real questions are on the bench.

? 17/18 Koch / Nyakane, maybe even both with Nyakane shifting to LH. We don't really have more LH cover near the ability of Kitshoff with Beast retired.
16 Marx
19 Some lock or PSdT moving back to the engine room with long time Stormers partner Etzebeth
20 Not sure, Van Staaden or Kwagga probably though I think there are better options elsewhere. Marcel Coetzee could've been a shoe in as he could cover the whole back row but he looked very tired in domestic games and that is saying something as all SA teams look knackered by the 60 minute mark of late.
21 Jantjies

Beyond here is where the real question marks are thoughnot sure if it truly matters:
22 M Steyn / Jantjies- surely not!? / Goosen or Willemse as Hail Mary selections if chasing and able to cover multiple positions
23 F Steyn / Fassi / J Kriel / Willemse

Will they not go for a 6/2 split again.

I would love to see De Jager Vermeulen and even Snyman ready for the 3 (4th?) test.

Will they not go for a 6/2 split again.

I would love to see De Jager Vermeulen and even Snyman ready for the 3 (4th?) test.
I wouldn't bet against us going for a 6/2 split again. That is the general consensus with most of our top pundits (Nick Mallett and Swys de Bruin both) but with Rassie.. erm, sorry, I mean Nienaber you just never know. I suppose to a degree it depends on Pollard's fitness but that I also wouldn't know about.

Latest posts