• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Love them both (particularly The Wire... it's where I got my username after all ;)) but I am a huge geek at heart so the MCU is mana from heaven to me.

There's a geek in us all my friend.

I should've said in terms of TV dramas as there's loads of other stuff I love and have really enjoyed it's just whenever I watch some show that is highly regarded and is meant to be a serious show I always feel let down as The Wire and Sopranos have set the bar.

Actually, thinking about it, the thing I've seen recently that is definitely in that group was the mini series Chernobyl which was outstanding but even that, only being 1 season, can't be judged the same.

There's a geek in us all my friend.

I should've said in terms of TV dramas as there's loads of other stuff I love and have really enjoyed it's just whenever I watch some show that is highly regarded and is meant to be a serious show I always feel let down as The Wire and Sopranos have set the bar.

Actually, thinking about it, the thing I've seen recently that is definitely in that group was the mini series Chernobyl which was outstanding but even that, only being 1 season, can't be judged the same.
I've heard Chernobyl is excellent, the missus really doesn't fancy it though so we still haven't gotten around to it yet. Obviously Breaking Bad is up there with The Wire and The Sopranos... & Better Call Saul is also very good.

Basically though, I consciously try not to hold most things I watch to those standards as I would be setting expectations far too high... shows of that quality are few and far between. There are quite a few shows that I would consider just one or two tiers under those though and as a result still very enjoyable.

I've heard Chernobyl is excellent, the missus really doesn't fancy it though so we still haven't gotten around to it yet. Obviously Breaking Bad is up there with The Wire and The Sopranos... & Better Call Saul is also very good.

Basically though, I consciously try not to hold most things I watch to those standards as I would be setting expectations far too high... shows of that quality are few and far between. There are quite a few shows that I would consider just one or two tiers under those though and as a result still very enjoyable.
Chernobyl is great but it's pretty bleak, as you'd expect, so you've got to be in the right kinda mood for it I'd say.

I really liked Breaking Bad but I actually think Better Call Saul is better. Both great, though.

Chernobyl is great but it's pretty bleak, as you'd expect, so you've got to be in the right kinda mood for it I'd say.

I really liked Breaking Bad but I actually think Better Call Saul is better. Both great, though.
Yeah I could definitely see that argument.

Last edited:
Documentary on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.
Ooh..and how's it? Is it worth seeing it?
Chernobyl is great but it's pretty bleak
I've also heard a lot about it and haven't watched it yet :p postpone every time, usually I'm scared to watch any Western film/series about the USSR/Ukraine/Russia :p

Watching a Scandi noir Bordertown now
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordertown_(Finnish_TV_series)
Usually I love series like that but this time I'm falling asleep..the lack of dynamics probably. Can't really recommend it, maybe just to kill time

Yes, very good. From Ben Fogel who made Icarus. Very sad and yes, only happened last couple of years. There's a Q and A between Fogel and Edith Bowman. Unfortunately, the Crown Prince will never likely stand trial.

I've also heard a lot about it and haven't watched it yet :p postpone every time, usually I'm scared to watch any Western film/series about the USSR/Ukraine/Russia :p

Watching a Scandi noir Bordertown now
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordertown_(Finnish_TV_series)
Usually I love series like that but this time I'm falling asleep..the lack of dynamics probably. Can't really recommend it, maybe just to kill time
Yeah, I don't think Putin was very happy with it, so much so that I think they're making their own version which implicates the Americans, or so I remember reading.

I'm sure there's stuff that's not right and not being Ukrainian or particularly knowledgable on the whole thing I can't really speak 100% to its accuracy but it seems pretty spot on. It's definitely not some anti Russian propaganda or anything as it shows ordinary Russian/Ukrainian people in a good light. amazing self sacrifice for the greater good and all that.

Yes, I'm going to watch it anyway but ,as you mentioned, need to be "in a right mood". :)
And on Sunday-lockdown-evening I'm usually in the mood to watch thrillers, especially when I think about work and my colleagues :p
Can someone recommend good thriller series?

Yes, I'm going to watch it anyway but ,as you mentioned, need to be "in a right mood". :)
And on Sunday-lockdown-evening I'm usually in the mood to watch thrillers, especially when I think about work and my colleagues :p
Can someone recommend good thriller series?
Have you seen the Jason Bourne movies? They're action packed thrillers. My favorite is The Bourne Ultimatum, but I like all of them. Rumor has it there's another in development.
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne
Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne
Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
The Bourne
Ultimatum
The Bourne Legacy
The Bourne
Legacy
Jason Bourne
Jason Bourne

Last edited:

I've seen every episode of both series and I like Better Call Saul more too. Covid-19 put the sixth and final season on hold. It's supposed to be broadcast in early 2022.

Have you seen the Jason Bourne movies? They're action packed thrillers. My favorite is The Bourne Ultimatum, but I like all of them. Rumor has it there's another in development.
View attachment 10289
The Bourne
Identity
View attachment 10290
The Bourne
Supremacy
View attachment 10291
The Bourne
Ultimatum
View attachment 10292
The Bourne
Legacy
View attachment 10293
Jason Bourne

Loved the first 3. Not so much Legacy. Last one was ok. Not sure Matt Damon will be back again without Greengrass. If another one then it'll likely be without both of them.

Has any of you watched "A Discovery of Witches"??

It only has 2 seasons so far, but I rather enjoyed it with a bit of a different take of witches, vampires and demons...

Also, Theresa Palmer stars in and there's just something about her that makes my nether-region feel better...

So.. I've heard of Bourne movies (quite old and popular movies) but I must admit I usually avoid this type of films: about secret agents/spies.
But I've watched The Bourne Identity after you recommendation: much better than I actually expected, I liked it :) I'm going to watch the Bourne supremacy tonight.
P.S.There's a funny moment in the Bourne Identity. When he checks his "passports" from different countries, there's a mistake in his Russian passport: they wrote some random Cyrillic letters in "name/surname" fields ;) Bourne would have problems in Russia with such a passport I think ;) :D

View attachment 10289
The Bourne
Identity
View attachment 10290
The Bourne
Supremacy
View attachment 10291
The Bourne
Ultimatum
View attachment 10292
The Bourne
Legacy
View attachment 10293
Jason Bourne
Didn't like the most recent one (Jason Bourne) but the others (even Legacy) are all realy good if not better... feel like I'm due a Bourne-athon actually.

I've just finished season 3 of The Last Kingdom. We've basically done the first 3 seasons since starting it on Thursday. Really good show. Never really knew a great deal about Alfred the Great and absolutely nothing of Uhtred the Bold but they are both, particularly the latter very interesting historical figures (I'd imagine that Uhtred is somewhat embellished but if he was anything like the portrayal here he's awesome).

Although it took a bit of arm-twisting the missus has loved it too... I'm hoping that she'll be willing to give Vikings another go after this as a result.

I'm still morally preparing for the Vikings :D I've watched first three parts but.. sometimes it's too bloody for me. Really want to watch the 4th part though as I'm a big fan of Rollo

I'm still morally preparing for the Vikings :D I've watched first three parts but.. sometimes it's too bloody for me. Really want to watch the 4th part though as I'm a big fan of Rollo
We watched season 1 back when it released but it didn't appeal that much at the time. From what I've heard since it improves a lot, so I'm quite keen to give it another go.

We watched season 1 back when it released but it didn't appeal that much at the time. From what I've heard since it improves
As far as I remember my favourite season was the third one. But again I just like Rollo's character very much in these series. Don't want to tell you more about the 3rd season, you'll understand what I mean once you start to watch it :p
I like to read/watch everything about vikings in general, they charm me, and "the Vikings" are very atmospheric

As far as I remember my favourite season was the third one. But again I just like Rollo's character very much in these series. Don't want to tell you more about the 3rd season, you'll understand what I mean once you start to watch it :p
I like to read/watch everything about vikings in general, they charm me, and "the Vikings" are very atmospheric
Out of interest have you seen anything of The Last Kingdom?

Latest posts