• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Out of interest have you seen anything of The Last Kingdom?
No, that one I haven't watched. Although, as far as I just read, it's quite close (to some extent) to the Vikings, just a view from "the opposite side"? )
Do you recommend it?

No, that one I haven't watched. Although, as far as I just read, it's quite close (to some extent) to the Vikings, just a view from "the opposite side"? )
Do you recommend it?
Yeah it's really good... although it is more from a Saxon viewpoint, the Viking (or Dane) perspective is well presented also. I'll be gutted by the time we finish season 4 and have to wait for season 5 to be released.

Yeah it's really good... although it is more from a Saxon viewpoint, the Viking (or Dane) perspective is well presented also. I'll be gutted by the time we finish season 4 and have to wait for season 5 to be released.

Actually, judging by description,that should be something I like to watch. Thanks for this recommendation,will check it!

I've just finished season 3 of The Last Kingdom. We've basically done the first 3 seasons since starting it on Thursday. Really good show. Never really knew a great deal about Alfred the Great and absolutely nothing of Uhtred the Bold but they are both, particularly the latter very interesting historical figures (I'd imagine that Uhtred is somewhat embellished but if he was anything like the portrayal here he's awesome).

Although it took a bit of arm-twisting the missus has loved it too... I'm hoping that she'll be willing to give Vikings another go after this as a result.
Love the Last Kingdom, and the books it's based on.
But don't take it as historically accurate, barring some character names and battle dates.
Alfred was a warlord himself, not some milksop, Uhtred didn't exist, Aethelwold was nothing like his depiction....

Love the Last Kingdom, and the books it's based on.
But don't take it as historically accurate, barring some character names and battle dates.
Alfred was a warlord himself, not some milksop, Uhtred didn't exist, Aethelwold was nothing like his depiction....
Yeah I assumed it must have taken some liberties. About Uhtred of Bebbanburg though, I did a bit of 'light' research and people seem to think he is loosely based on a fella named Uhtred the Bold. Looks like he lived almost 150 years later than the events of the show but it appears like there was at least 'some' truth to him.

Yeah I assumed it must have taken some liberties. About Uhtred of Bebbanburg though, I did a bit of 'light' research and people seem to think he is loosely based on a fella named Uhtred the Bold. Looks like he lived almost 150 years later than the events of the show but it appears like there was at least 'some' truth to him.
Yeah, he was Bernard Cornwell's ancestor - who lived in a completely different time (but the same place) and about whom virtually nothing is known.
He's just a name that Cornwell used due to that.

"people seem to think" that because Cornwell explicitly tells us in his "author's notes" at the end of each book

Last edited:
I've watched 2 seasons of the Last Kingdom and now am watching the third one. Really good series, I enjoy, thanks for the recommendation, @bushytop. Very dynamic plot, detailed sets. The character of Alfred is exactly how I thought he was from what I read before about him, also love Leofric from the first season. Uhtred irritates me though (as well as the actor who plays this role)

I've watched 2 seasons of the Last Kingdom and now am watching the third one. Really good series, I enjoy, thanks for the recommendation, @bushytop. Very dynamic plot, detailed sets. The character of Alfred is exactly how I thought he was from what I read before about him, also love Leofric from the first season. Uhtred irritates me though (as well as the actor who plays this role)
Glad you're enjoying it bud. I love Uhtred myself though, both the actor and the character. We all see different things though.

I've just started Them on Amazon... I quite like it too. A bit like Get Out and Us mixed with a season from American Horror Story.

Another really good episode of Line of duty last night. Some great lines, especially from Hastings. Next week last one in current series. How long it will go one for I don't know.

I think I know who H is.

I'm wondering if next week a full series finale rather than just a season finale. Believe they haven't announced a next season yet. Wonder how last night ranks for longest interviews in the series.

I'm wondering if next week a full series finale rather than just a season finale. Believe they haven't announced a next season yet. Wonder how last night ranks for longest interviews in the series.

No comment.

Watching Mare of Easttown

So far it's on Episode 2, but really like it currently.
Kate Winslet at her grounded best, love the casting feels very real. Storyline maybe a bit overdone dectivie trying to solve a case but has their own problems to deal with (Although only 2 episode in).

Watching Mare of Easttown

So far it's on Episode 2, but really like it currently.
Kate Winslet at her grounded best, love the casting feels very real. Storyline maybe a bit overdone dectivie trying to solve a case but has their own problems to deal with (Although only 2 episode in).

The character work is fantastic. Everyone feels fully realised and fleshed out to me. So far the focus is definitely more on the characters than the mystery. Also has a nice bit of humour despite the dark tone and subject matter.

Latest posts