• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Not really a huge fan of the books but we get so little potentially good live action fantasy that this is a must watch regardless. Thought the trailer was pretty promising, hopefully it can build a bit of buzz.

Don't think it can be the next GOT but if they can drag the depiction of women into the 21st century and go at a pace faster than glacial it could go some way towards filling the void (along with the witcher)

Not really a huge fan of the books but we get so little potentially good live action fantasy that this is a must watch regardless. Thought the trailer was pretty promising, hopefully it can build a bit of buzz.

Don't think it can be the next GOT but if they can drag the depiction of women into the 21st century and go at a pace faster than glacial it could go some way towards filling the void (along with the witcher)
Yup - there's a really strong story over the 14 books - but it's only 6-8 books worth that's been spread way too thin (I'm a fan, but in no way blind to it faults). It's why I'm excited about this; there is the potential to be a true great with judicious cutting and re-writing, whilst having the full story already told to know what's going where; and especially with the Covid delays giving the writers and show-runners not much to do beyond planning and pacing future seasons.
There was also a potentially very interesting look at a society where women are the dominant gender, and how that would turn out - but he decided not to explore that at all and made everyone puritanical with highly sexist faux-power-struggles.

The worry, of course, is that the showrunners are inexperienced, and may end up completely over their heads and cock it all up.

Last edited:
Yup - there's a really strong story over the 14 books - but it's only 6-8 books worth that's been spread way too thin (I'm a fan, but in no way blind to it faults). It's why I'm excited about this; there is the potential to be a true great with judicious cutting and re-writing, whilst having the full story already told to know what's going where; and especially with the Covid delays giving the writers and show-runners not much to do beyond planning and pacing future seasons.
There was also a potentially very interesting look at a society where women are the dominant gender, and how that would turn out - but he decided not to explore that at all and made everyone puritanical with highly sexist faux-power-struggles.

The worry, of course, is that the showrunners are inexperienced, and may end up completely over their heads and cock it all up.
Agree with everything you say. The 1st book was pretty generic, then 2-6 were pretty cool, 7-10 got progressively worse, 11 was an improvement and then the Sanderson ones at the end were pretty decent. That's how I see it anyway.

You're spot on especially about the gender dynamics, they could have been interesting but he just couldn't write women to the required level. Most of the books' problems are fixable, as you say, and the trailer looked pretty if nothing else.

Noticed Malcolm in the Middle was on All 4 so I've been re-watching all of that

Probably my favourite sitcom of all time, it's so damn good

It's weird how many American actors have had extras roles in it as well, noticed actors who went on to have big roles in Sons of Anarchy, the Office, Parks and Rec, Scrubs, Brooklyn 99 etc

Noticed Malcolm in the Middle was on All 4 so I've been re-watching all of that

Probably my favourite sitcom of all time, it's so damn good

It's weird how many American actors have had extras roles in it as well, noticed actors who went on to have big roles in Sons of Anarchy, the Office, Parks and Rec, Scrubs, Brooklyn 99 etc
I have a friend who's a huge fan so when I saw it was on there I watched a good bit of it. It's really good and a bit ahead of its time.

If it had come out just a few years later it'd probably be a huge deal on streaming.

Sex education season 3 was pretty good,
Not as good as the previous 2, but still looking forward to season 4

Sex education season 3 was pretty good,
Not as good as the previous 2, but still looking forward to season 4
Watching it as we speak. Nowhere near as bad as made out to be when it was released, if not as good as previous seasons.

Believing that these actors are still in school is... impossible at this point though.

Nowhere near as bad as made out to be when it was released
I didn't realise it had gotten a bad reception - to be honest I didn't realise it was out until I saw an advert on Netflix a few days ago

Yeah, mid-to-late 20s actors playing 16/17 year olds is a definite reach at this point - especially as the in show time frame is so small (think all 3 seasons combined take place in about a year?)

Yeah, mid-to-late 20s actors playing 16/17 year olds is a definite reach at this point - especially as the in show time frame is so small (think all 3 seasons combined take place in about a year?)
I've heard quite a lot of people saying that Season 4 could take place after a time jump to help this issue a bit but I have no idea whether that's actually grounded in anything or just speculation.

Trouble is there's no time jump that would work with them all still being around each other.

Going full-on Umbridge in the UK education system, is... really challenging my suspension of disbelief - however well flagged, from her opening Umbridge speech in E01

Latest posts