• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Just finished episode 1 of Wheel of Time and halfway through episode 2. If it doesn't improve fast I won't be watching the rest of the show. Episode 1 was baffling in the deviations it took from the book. Stinks of an adaptation that doesn't really understand it's source material.

The pacing is breakneck, but still finds the time to focus on the dumbest stuff. I'd love to hear from someone who hasn't read the books. Does it make any sense at all?

It also looks awful. The CGI was always going to need to be on point for this and it just is not.

Good points? The trollocs look good when they're not moving too much. The fade looks exactly like what I imagined.

Amazon are going to do Lord of the Rings so dirty.....

Amazon are going to do Lord of the Rings so dirty.....
Doesn't bode well, and it's not as if it even needs another retelling - yet. Stinks of a Geroge Lucas inspired CGI horrorshow after watching what WoT is serving up

Wheel of Time im looking forward too, but i know zero about it or the books bar 1 trailer ive seen. Going away from the weekend but starting it on monday.

What should i be expecting?

Doesn't bode well, and it's not as if it even needs another retelling - yet. Stinks of a Geroge Lucas inspired CGI horrorshow after watching what WoT is serving up

They're not adapting the main trilogy. It's some story from a different age if LoTR.

Some changes to WoT are strange but I think I'm liking it so far even if not enamoured. The series has a special place in my heart so I'll certainly be watching each episode. Just a pity that Amazon's frameerate drips drastically anytime there dynamic movement in a scene.

WOT was... okay.
Not great, but but not bad either, just... clunky.

Yeah, there's changes from the book, but there also need to be changes from the book, because quite honestly, a faithful adaptation would be awful.

Most of the outright changes so far haven't shown where they're going, and may not have their pay off for a few years yet, so it's way too early to judge if they're good or not.

Dunno why it seems to be insisting on a 55 minute run time for each episode when it's a pure streaming platform. First episode especially could really have used an extra 10-15 minutes to flesh out the character introductions.

Plot speed is definitely breakneck, but that's the fashion these days.
Whilst the CGI isn't Marvel quality, for the most part, I don't recall seeing better on telly.

Watched all three seasons of "You" over the last couple of weeks - really really enjoyed it
Season one is definitely the best one, but season three is up there too (just with a different kind of feel to it). Really looking forward to season 4

Also watched "Alice in Borderland", which was trending on Netflix because it's a similar story to Squidgame (play games or die).
I actually watched the first three episodes right after squidgame but gave up on it cause it felt a bit cheesey/a bit like a TV movie when compared to Squidgame. Glad I came back to it though because every episode after 3 just got better and better

Dunno why it seems to be insisting on a 55 minute run time for each episode when it's a pure streaming platform. First episode especially could really have used an extra 10-15 minutes to flesh out the character introductions.
podcast here where Judkins says the original plan was 10 episodes a season and they had to recalibrate to fit everything into 8, and it was hard going from 10 to 8 hours. Also, apparently everything in the premiere would have been across 2 episodes originally.

podcast here where Judkins says the original plan was 10 episodes a season and they had to recalibrate to fit everything into 8, and it was hard going from 10 to 8 hours. Also, apparently everything in the premiere would have been across 2 episodes originally.

Why did they knock it from 10 to 8? 2 episodes is a big chunk.

Started watching wheel of time after someone who read the books recommended it. I have a rough idea of what the plot is but never read it myself. My feeling is that it feels like it was made for people who have read the books. To me it feels clunky and all over the place, too much stuff is happening with absolutely no explanation why.

Jesus, even my dad reads Wheel of time (11th book as far as I've heard from him) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and tells me how GOOD it is :rolleyes: he is going to watch TV series as well.
I read a general plot and I don't know..not sure I'm interested to watch/read it ... doesn't sound super original to me, something like "I've seen/read something like that before", hmmm

Wheel of Time.
So far so good.
BUT it feels like a BBC show or ITV instead of a hbo show which makes me worried about Lord of the rings
I'm enjoying it so far; and if it's BBC / ITV quality, then it feels to me like one of the collaborations between them and a wealthier US company - more Rome / Dark Materials than Dr Who.

I'm enjoying it, and I think they've done a fair job of translating the books to more modern sensibilities, ironing out some of the flaws and being more character driven; but is suffering some from scripting and some clunky delivery - especially in the first episode; but given A] pilots, and B] that it had to be reduced from 110 to 55 minutes in the editting room, it gets a fair bit of leeway from me.
It's exposition heavy at the moment, but doing a far better job of it than GoT ever managed there; and quite honestly, anything set in a different world, HAS to choose between being exposition heavy, and feeling shallow.

My only real complaints are that Valda is a completely one-note evil villain so far, which is a shame as everyone else has been allowed some nuance, and the CGI for wielding the power (along with Moiraine's dance in S01E01) - namely how long it takes to power-up before doing anything, and that the strands seem to be randomly thrown out, rather than woven together. [spoilers]I don't mind that they've introduced hand-waving per se, but the full-on dance was OTT. I suspect the hand-waving is necessary to allow other changes, like increasing the threat of the whitecloacks, which hasn't paid off yet[/spoilers]
Of course, I have other nit-picks, especially as a book-walker; but most of them are either personal preferences, or (especially for changes) that I have to allow are going to pay-off later in the series; and quite possibly 4-5 years later. [spoilers]In particular, Perrin's axe (and wife) - which I can see the pay-off for given that we don't get his inner monologue, though I'd still prefer it to have been a brother or father, rather than creating a wife, purely to shove her in the fridge; and the moving of Moiraine's speech about Manetheren from Emond's Field to everyone, to on the road, to the 4 potentials - who's pay-off I can't see yet.[/spoilers]

ETA: I thought spoiler tags were enabled here - or have I done them wrongly?
Either way, I've whited out the text, so you have to highlight it to see what's written.

Last edited:
I've also finally got around to watching Sense8 over the last few days.
Binged the lot, and loved it.
Only real issue that it was a bit too much of a happy ending with cuteness and puppy dogs and rainbows all around, with everyone happily paired up. Wife, of course, loved it (except the orgy).

What I still don't understand is how they can influence each other's world and carry physical items between them. Inhabit each other's bodies, and wander around within eyesight - fine, but Kala taking a swab from Will's mouth in Iceland, and testing it in her lab in Bombay 5 minutes later. Or Kala picking up a bottle alcohol and throwing it without moving Wolfy's hand...
If they can do that, then they've a very easy way of taking out anyone, by poisoning drinks etc without the need for a fight.

ETA: WTF?

Apparently, I have some really weird online friends...

Last edited:

Latest posts