• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What would you change in the GP?

How can you possibly have two different results in separate competitions depending on the same match? Makes no sense whatsoever. Getting rid of the Anglo-Welsh Cup altogether and going back to the traditional domestic cup format (with the Welsh teams included if necessary) is far more sensible.[/b]

So you are saying that having the Scotland vs England Calcutta Cup matches function in conjunction with 6 Nations matches does´t work? Similarly, that Aus vs NZ Bledisloe Cup / Tri Nations joined fixtures don´t work. You really think that England and Scotland should play an entirely separate match for the Calcutta Cup than what the play in the 6 Nations. You must be kidding.

But yes getting rid of the stupid Anglo-Welsh Cup is a very good idea.

No one likes mid-week rugby matches. Crowd figures would fall if they started doing this.[/b]

People don´t like having the season go on during the 6N but it happens. There are two possible routes to take. 1. do what France did this year and stop the GP during the 6N. 2. play the games mid week.

No. Just no. These stadiums are too big for anything other than one of matches at the moment. Not to mention the fact that the grounds of many top flight English clubs are steeped in history. Would not be a popular move with fans and is a non-starter.
[/b]

Are you sure? Look at Paris getting 80,000 for simple season games (not finals or anything of the kind) against Biarritz and Toulouse. Getting 70,000 for the same against Perpignan and 45,000 against Sale.... What about Toulouse? or Biarritz? They have a population of far less than Leicester yet they can cross into Spain and pack San Sebastian for Top 14 and ENC matches. Or Bourgoin? They hosted Munster in Switerland and got about 18,000 from memory. Surely, English clubs can follow this model.

<div class='quotemain'>
How can you possibly have two different results in separate competitions depending on the same match? Makes no sense whatsoever. Getting rid of the Anglo-Welsh Cup altogether and going back to the traditional domestic cup format (with the Welsh teams included if necessary) is far more sensible.[/b]

So you are saying that having the Scotland vs England Calcutta Cup matches function in conjunction with 6 Nations matches does´t work? Similarly, that Aus vs NZ Bledisloe Cup / Tri Nations joined fixtures don´t work. You really think that England and Scotland should play an entirely separate match for the Calcutta Cup than what the play in the 6 Nations. You must be kidding.
[/b][/quote]

That's a different situation. The Calcutta Cup just happens to be awarded to the winning side. It's not so much a competition in itself as something the victor receives every time they play.

You can't mis the results of a league like the Guinness Premiership and a totally seperate cup competition. It punishes sides on 2 fronts were they to play badly during one match, and means the seperate competitions would be forced to have the same scoring structures etc. There would be no room for change in one without the same happening in the other. Added to this the fact the number of times two nations from the same nation meeting in the group stages should be nominal, and doing so just doesn't make sense.

Are you sure? Look at Paris getting 80,000 for simple season games (not finals or anything of the kind) against Biarritz and Toulouse. Getting 70,000 for the same against Perpignan and 45,000 against Sale.... What about Toulouse? or Biarritz? They have a population of far less than Leicester yet they can cross into Spain and pack San Sebastian for Top 14 and ENC matches. Or Bourgoin? They hosted Munster in Switerland and got about 18,000 from memory. Surely, English clubs can follow this model.[/b]

Very sure. French club rugby eclipses the English game in terms of crowd support. Football dominates here and there is point point in playing in big but half empty stadiums. Ticket prices would also follow moves to larger arenas, which wouldn't be popular either.

These would be the changes that i would make to the crurrent G.P season

1. 14 teams, the bottom on being relegated possibly two to make it more competitve
2. No playoffs
3. No EDF have a Nationl trophy like the F.A cup winner gets Heiny qualification
4. Top six qualify for europe
5. No autumn internationals instead alternate the summer tours between NH and SH
6. Larger cap on money
7. have 6 nations at the same time as the tri nations
8. Reduce the cost of english players (international)to allow the the likes of Worcester to buy them

Originally posted by 'Melhor Time'
Are you sure? Look at Paris getting 80,000 for simple season games (not finals or anything of the kind) against Biarritz and Toulouse. Getting 70,000 for the same against Perpignan and 45,000 against Sale.... What about Toulouse? or Biarritz? They have a population of far less than Leicester yet they can cross into Spain and pack San Sebastian for Top 14 and ENC matches. Or Bourgoin? They hosted Munster in Switerland and got about 18,000 from memory. Surely, English clubs can follow this model.

Very sure. French club rugby eclipses the English game in terms of crowd support. Football dominates here and there is point point in playing in big but half empty stadiums. Ticket prices would also follow moves to larger arenas, which wouldn't be popular either.
[/b]

Also, areas like Biarritz (Basque) and Perpignan (Catalan) have much more dynamic cultural and socialiological aspects which are almost a universe away from the UK & Ireland. For a start, both teams have natural support which covers both France and Spain. For the Catalans, Barcelona FC is their national dive-ball team while Perpignan is their national Rugby team. They don't look at Perpignan as a French Rugby Club, merely a national Catalan side which just happens to be in the top French league for Rugby! The same goes for Biarritz. Both feel a mixture of sadness jealously and pride when their players are selected to play for France, because, deep in their hearts, they'd rather that they play for a Basque or Catalan national team instead.

Thus, the reason why Biarritz and Perpignan can go to Spain is because both San Sebastien and Barcelona lie slap bang in the middle of their respective "nations" and thus people travel from hundreds of miles around Basque country or Catalonia to see their "national sides".

Webby and Mite go to see Northampton because they feel immense pride in being part of a nice City and County. Basques and Catalans however support Biarritz and Perpignan as a matter of national pride more than anything else.

The mechanics and cultural differences are so great in this case Melhor that you simply cannot compare the two.

Webby and Mite go to see Northampton because they feel immense pride in being part of a nice City and County.[/b]

The rest of your post was excellent, but :lol: at that.

Not been to Northampton any time recently have you? I'm not remotely proud of coming from there. The team yes, the town (not even a city) hell no.

Although the wider county does have some nice areas of rolling greenery.

But then again it also has Corby.

I'm proud of being from Northampton, thankyou very much. I just wish a bomb would land on the Eastern District and/or Sixfields.

Seriously?

Ok, I only speak for myself then. I'm always sure to say I wasn't born in Northampton whenever people ask where I'm from.

Live somewhere else and you realise just what a mess the council has made of the town.

Therein lies the problem; I still remember when we weren't full of immigrants and Chavs & I could walk through the back end of St. James with no worries of being stabbed by a gang of 14 year old gobshites looking to steel my shoes.

Still, considering I lived in Stoke for 6 years, Northampton is still Monte Carlo in comparisson!!! :lol:

<div class='quotemain'>
Webby and Mite go to see Northampton because they feel immense pride in being part of a nice City and County.[/b]

The rest of your post was excellent, but :lol: at that.

Not been to Northampton any time recently have you? I'm not remotely proud of coming from there. The team yes, the town (not even a city) hell no.

Although the wider county does have some nice areas of rolling greenery.

But then again it also has Corby.
[/b][/quote]

:huh:

I, sir, am therefore at a loss as to why exactly you support Northampton?

Do you not feel any sort of connection at all to the area?

I've lived there for most of my life, so yes I feel a connection. I just don't particularly like the place. The strongest affiliations I have are with family, sports clubs, schools etc, rather than the town as a whole.

My Dad and his brother were born and bred in Northampton, so Saints are always going to be the rugby team of choice. There could never be any other.

haha, it would be funny if, when you came of age and your Dad asked you what Rugby team you'll be supporting (as if it were a rhetorical question) and you said:

Originally posted by 'Webby the younger'
Why, I'll be supporting Lands End XV RFC!

i think relegation is nessecary as it circulates new players in to the lague. It also give teams lower down something to play for. Not only does this make the season interesting untill the final match day but it also stops them just giving up and giving in to higher up teams as they both have something to play for.
As for the play off system i think its also a good idea however this years idea of four teams getting through wasn't as good as last years. Purley because i belive the reward of winning the leagu should be automatic rights to a place in the final not for a place to play for a place in the final! Finally I can't quite remeber it, but i'm sure the super league play off system is very interesting? Can anyone enlighten me?

i think relegation is nessecary as it circulates new players in to the lague. It also give teams lower down something to play for. Not only does this make the season interesting untill the final match day but it also stops them just giving up and giving in to higher up teams as they both have something to play for.
As for the play off system i think its also a good idea however this years idea of four teams getting through wasn't as good as last years. Purley because i belive the reward of winning the leagu should be automatic rights to a place in the final not for a place to play for a place in the final!
[/b]

I have to agree that relegation does make the end of the season intresting for the bottom half of the table, but I am not too sure that it is entirely a good thing.

You have an interesting point about the 1st place team getting an automatic place in the the final, but when that was the case the highest place team was left at a disadvantage. There would be around 2 weeks without a game meaning by the time the final took place the advantage of getting an automatic place was not so great. That resulted in Wasps being English champions a number of seasons in a row despite finishing second.

yeah but you can't blame that souly on the fact that the top seed hadn't played for two weeks. Wasps based their game plan around the system - peaking right at the end of the season. Plus you can fill the gap with friendly games and again wasps as the example - heineken cup winners after a 3 weeks gap and they dominated from the first whistle.

i would

1 - scrap the playoff system who ever come top wins the league
2- two teams down and two teams up
3- more funding for clubs from rfu (for stadium developmet) in division 1 as few years ago rotherm were ment to come up and wernt alowed meaning bath stayed up
4-News papers having bigger interest in rugby and the genral media
5- good support and no music when tries are scored only ground in prem which doesnt is kingsholm i think

and no music when tries are scored only ground in prem which doesnt is kingsholm i think [/b]

Er...no.

Northampton have never played music after tries. Although not in the Premiership for the coming season, we are one of the teams to have stuck with tradition.

I'm not 100% sure whether music is played at Welford Road either.

Actually, changing the subject a wee bit...but does anyone find it really annoying when the RFU play music when the other side scores at a Twickenham international?!

As for the GP, I think we must follow the example shown by our friends in Canada in the NHL and adopt HUGE fog horns to blow whenever the home side scores a try.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK HOOOOOOOOOOONK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!

I am not sure whether Bath does, haven't been there when they have scored tries...

<div class='quotemain'>
and no music when tries are scored only ground in prem which doesnt is kingsholm i think [/b]

Er...no.

Northampton have never played music after tries. Although not in the Premiership for the coming season, we are one of the teams to have stuck with tradition.

I'm not 100% sure whether music is played at Welford Road either.

[/b][/quote]

As far as I'm aware it's only the clubs which need to enforce atmosphere that play the music (i.e, O'Irish, Leeds, Saracens, Wasps, Sale).

Oddly enough, the only team with strong, loyal support that plays music for scores is Worcester... Although Duckworth does treat thhe club like an NFL side. Maybe not entirely a bad thing as they have somehow remained in the Premiership for a few seasons now however...

Don't know about the others but that seems a bit unfair on Irish. Even at the Chruchill Cup finals in Twickenham there seemed more passionate Exiles fans than anynone else.

Latest posts