• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What would you change in the GP?

As far as I'm aware it's only the clubs which need to enforce atmosphere that play the music (i.e, O'Irish, Leeds, Saracens, Wasps, Sale).

Oddly enough, the only team with strong, loyal support that plays music for scores is Worcester... Although Duckworth does treat thhe club like an NFL side. Maybe not entirely a bad thing as they have somehow remained in the Premiership for a few seasons now however... [/b]

I personally don't have a problem with grounds playing music, but only if the home side scores. I absolutely hate it when Twickenham plays music when the away team scores, it drives me absolutely potty. I love it in the NHL when there are HUGE foghorns and loud music when the home team score and absolute silence (sometimes the announcer doesn't even announce the score) when the away team scores.

Worcester's support is absolutely fanatical, they brave dire facilities and remoteness of location (it is an absolute bugger to get to Sixways at 5am let alone 2pm on a match day!) Yet still, on they come and the music (usually just music when players come on at the start and come on at half time along with the usual music for scores) adds to the huge experience (espeically when you're in the East stand which trembles with all the foot stamping and what not).

What really makes the Sixways experience extra special is the announcer who wonders around in the middle of the ground making really dry and sarcastic remarks and the guy in the huge Warriors mascot costume who keeps trying to pretend to urinate in the hats of visiting fans.

The problem with Saracens is basically that sodding stadium Vicarage Road. Enough fans visit every time (about 10 to 12,000) its just that its such a poorly designed stadium. Its awful, apparently there are Watford FC fans who complain about the total lack of atmosphere even when at full capacity! When I was there in the season just gone when Sarries were playing Quins' there were loads of fans there and we were all screaming our lungs out, but even if we were all given megaphones with amplifiers, there would be no way in hell that the noise would be louder than a passing echo! We need a decent 15,000 seater stadium!!!!!! :rahh:

I feel sorry for Saracens in that respect. Vicarage Road is a soulless place and no matter how hard the fans try (that drummer must have a RSI by now) they just cannot create the atmosphere generated by the 'actual' rugby grounds. LI fans are as mad as any but I still find the Madjeski an eyrie place to go to.

I have to admit Worcester is a cracking place to go (but not to get to - as Prestwick said). Everyone in there is focused on the rugby and everyone is friendly no matter what.

As for changes in the GP I'd personally prefer less Saturday games. I'd like to be able to make more games but I'm always playing. I appreciate this plea will probably fall on deaf ears but from a selfish viewpoint that is wht I would change.

I was sat just in front of the Sarries drummers (all seven or ten of them) and they made a tremendous noise which kind of helped lift people's spirits in our area of the lower rous. But that was it, it was just our area and nowhere else. To anyone in any other part of the stadium the drumming would appear as a faint droning.

I would ban the signings of all players named Luke and force every team to have a player with the surnames Lavea and Mauger in their squad.

Latest posts