• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What would you change in the GP?

If that doesn't sound like a chip on your shoulder about one league getting better coverage then another, I dunno what does.

1. I don't own a horse.

2. If I did own a horse, it'd be a Shetland Pony because they're cute and NOT VERY HIGH AT ALL.

3. I don't have a sky box.

4. The ML may be exciting, but there still isn't enough prodding to make it as competitive as those leagues with relegation such as the GP and the Top 14 in France.

5. I'm right.

6 You're wrong.

7. I'm big.

8. You're small.

9. SILENCE!

9a. Lora smells of wee.
[/b]

1-3) i cannot comment on, as i don't know you personally.

4) I concede it may not be competitive in the sense that there is no relegation, but trust me, nobody wants to finish the lowest placed region in the magners league because they won't get into the Heineken cup and will have to go about it the hard way (ala dragons last season...and they saw how difficult it can be).
It's very competitive at the bottom.

5-6) No.

7) You may be.

8) Yes i am.

9) This is wonderful.

9a) I agree.

I don't know about you guys, but i'm still getting that faint whiff of urine.

Smells like an underpass on a sunday morning...

:p

hey! hey!! you! you!! i want to be your girlfreind!!

your so fine i want you mine your so delicious!!

What would I change in the GP?

- I would merge the GP matches with the silly Anglo Vs Welsh matches (I forget the corporate sponsors name) to avoid playing the same teams playing each other so much.

- I would do the same for the Heineken Cup matches involving GP teams. Why they aren't already is beyond me... Of course finals / semi finals / quarter finals don't count.

- I would play games during the week when the 6 Nations and any other English International is taking place.

- I would set a minimum squad number of 30 players.

- I would encourage clubs to play more often at larger venues. i.e. Leicester at Walkers Stadium fulltime.

- I would increase the promotion / relegation to two teams, like the French Top 14. But I would have the bottom team automatically swap with the winner of the English A Division and have the second to last play off with the runner up from the English A Division.

- I certainly would never encourage a limit on imported players. I would actually encourage imports.

- I would merge the GP matches with the silly Anglo Vs Welsh matches (I forget the corporate sponsors name) to avoid playing the same teams playing each other so much.

- I would do the same for the Heineken Cup matches involving GP teams. Why they aren't already is beyond me... Of course finals / semi finals / quarter finals don't count.[/b]

How can you possibly have two different results in separate competitions depending on the same match? Makes no sense whatsoever. Getting rid of the Anglo-Welsh Cup altogether and going back to the traditional domestic cup format (with the Welsh teams included if necessary) is far more sensible.

- I would play games during the week when the 6 Nations and any other English International is taking place.[/b]

No one likes mid-week rugby matches. Crowd figures would fall if they started doing this.

- I would encourage clubs to play more often at larger venues. i.e. Leicester at Walkers Stadium fulltime.[/b]

No. Just no. These stadiums are too big for anything other than one of matches at the moment. Not to mention the fact that the grounds of many top flight English clubs are steeped in history. Would not be a popular move with fans and is a non-starter.

Aren't Leicester supposed to be developing Welford road to be bigger then the Walkers soon anyway?

Much the same as Franklins Gardens and Kingsholme will both be 25,000+ purpose built rugby stadia soon.

A better course of action is to gradually increase capacity over time.

Worcester, Gloucester, 'Quins and Newcastle are doing that, building and extending capacity once every couple of years.

Slowly but progressively ramping up capacity is a far more sensible, cost effective and visible sign of progress than just blowing your cash on a big 25,000 stadium which will only take 15 - 20,000 on average.

What i would change:

First of all i would get rid of the EDF Cup,no offence to the magners league,but the standard of rugby in both leagues is a hudge gap. This is because all the teams in the GP are evenly match,any one can beat anyone,this means that with extra matches eg EDF teams like Sale,Wasps suffer because as when the 6 nations they lose there best players and then they are more vonreble as has been proven by Sale this years.With relagation we can't affoard to try and please the welsh by them wanting to "beat the English" when we don't care about it.We have a really competitive league to try and stay in.

I would bring back the Parker Pen Cup(One with lower div teams in)to give the lower league teams an opportunity to have there "cup final" and test themself against a GP team to benefit the English game. The best game of rugby i have ever seen was when Bristol were in div 1 we played wasps in the qf of the parker pen cup we raised are game and preformed took it to extra time and wasps had to bring on some of there stars to beat us.Just shows how competitive the English game is.

As for relagation and promotion i would make two teams go down and two come up.First 4 in prem get Henicken Cup.Then fifth and sixth have a play-of to qualify for henicken cup.

I would bring back the Parker Pen Cup(One with lower div teams in)to give the lower league teams an opportunity to have there "cup final" and test themself against a GP team to benefit the English game. The best game of rugby i have ever seen was when Bristol were in div 1 we played wasps in the qf of the parker pen cup we raised are game and preformed took it to extra time and wasps had to bring on some of there stars to beat us.Just shows how competitive the English game is.
[/b]

I assume you mean what used to be the Powergen Cup? The Parker Pen was the old name for the European Challenge Cup.

But yes, most people were annoyed when the old style domestic cup disappeared.

I agree that the scheduling of the GP and the EDF with 6 nations completely sucks, I buy my ticket to see a first team play and what I'm getting is a back up of a back up, i swear some of the players at sale during the edf/six nations time were just crowd members.

I hope the stuff going on with the RFU and the Clubs sorts some sort of extended time table for these matches or just scrap some of them. I know there is heritage in the Six Nations so couldn't the EDF cup be moved to a off season cup?

Latest posts