• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which Olympic sport is the worst?

Which Olympic sport should be got rid of?

• Total voters
I'm all for any olympic sport - where the olympics is the absolute pinnacle of that sport.

ie: Swimming, Athletics, Rowing/Kayaking/ect.., Gymnastics, martial arts ect...

I don't particularly like it when the a sport has much bigger events than the olympics, it seems to me like a waste of time. Tennis? Golf? Football? Why?

Cycling is difficult to say, it's certainly a big event on their calender so they have a case to be made.

Rugby 7s? Perfect example of what I'm talking about. The sport will now revolve around the olympics and has some kind purpose meaning now.

Olympic sports I like: Athletics, Boxing, Canoeing, Cycling, Rowing, Modern Pentathlon, Triathlon, Swimming.

Most of the other sports I don't watch and wouldn't want to watch. However, the Olympics shouldn't just be about what sports are most popular. Just because I don't like watching something, doesn't mean it doesn't have a right to be there.

Basketball, Football, Tennis, Golf, Rugby 7's all have no place in the Olympics as far as I'm concerned.

I'll defend the inclusion of equestrian sports in the Olympics.

The original Olympic sports were Athletics, Cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics, Shooting, Swimming, Tennis, Weightlifting and Wrestling.

Equestrian as an Olympic sport goes back to 1900, coming in at the same time as Football, Rugby, Archery and Pelota (a basque game) and therefore predates the vast majority of the other Olympic sports we see today

But equestrian sports go back over 6000 years as there is evidence of the use of bits in the horse's mouth dating from that time. Horse sports are certainly more ancient than most other sports. It has hardly changed in its basics over that time. A straight bar snaffle bit used in Roman times for chariot racing is virtually indistinguishable (apart from material used) from one used today in general riding.
It's true but they are a horrifically harsh bit..Never used one.

Hopefully they start to focus some more on it there are quite a few countries that are competitive even the United States is no longer unbeatable(unlike 15-20 years ago), I vaguely remember Canada playing Lithuania in an exciting game back then in 2010 but over here they advertised it as "Olympic Qualifying" which insinuated it was second fiddle to the Olympics.

The same thing with the US team happens at the World Baseball Classic a bunch of American players declare themselves inelgible or injured then when the team does poorly the built in excuse come into play, a lot of American fans want to get rid of it as well, although it would probably quickly change if the win the 2013 edition.

Sorry for the late reply.

I actually enjoy international basketball. It sucks that Canada is bad at it but we should pick up in a few years (more NBA players that ever.)

World Baseball Classic has also been enjoyable, especially since Japan has proven that they are the best. That, and it gives me an opportunity to troll Americans about their record. What's the all time record for Canada vs USA in best-on-best Baseball? 1-1, aggregate score 13-12 for Canada. Hopefully, for the next tourney we should do well. Votto, Bay and Morneau are all good enough to help us out.

Olympic sports I like: Athletics, Boxing, Canoeing, Cycling, Rowing, Modern Pentathlon, Triathlon, Swimming.

Most of the other sports I don't watch and wouldn't want to watch. However, the Olympics shouldn't just be about what sports are most popular. Just because I don't like watching something, doesn't mean it doesn't have a right to be there.

Basketball, Football, Tennis, Golf, Rugby 7's all have no place in the Olympics as far as I'm concerned.

I see where your coming from but I hate how the summer olympics is all about individual sports. You have to just as a good an athlete to win in a team sport.

Basketball, tennis and Football are pretty much there to draw attendance. Rugby 7s is to have a wider participation in the olympics. Teams like Fiji, Samoa rarely compete in a lot of events. Plus it gives a big stage to 7s which is otherwise ignored.

If anything including these sports in beneficial. The 2nd biggest draw at the winter olympics is the ice hockey, and that's because it is the only tournament where everyone sends their best teams. If the Summer olympics could get that with Basketball or Rugby 7s, then they would be set.

I would even at some point like to see American football with no NFL/CFL players allowed (would not be fair.) Meaning NCAA, CIS, Mexico university teams could send players in the summer. Hockey, rugby have shown this is a great way to expose players and pick up foreign players.
These countries all have leagues:
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Finland
Germany
Hungary
India (actually has a ton of money thrown behind it.)
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan (over 60 registered semi-pro teams.)
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Serbia
Spain
GB (over 80 semi pro teams)

I see where your coming from but I hate how the summer olympics is all about individual sports. You have to just as a good an athlete to win in a team sport.

Basketball, tennis and Football are pretty much there to draw attendance. Rugby 7s is to have a wider participation in the olympics. Teams like Fiji, Samoa rarely compete in a lot of events. Plus it gives a big stage to 7s which is otherwise ignored.

If anything including these sports in beneficial. The 2nd biggest draw at the winter olympics is the ice hockey, and that's because it is the only tournament where everyone sends their best teams. If the Summer olympics could get that with Basketball or Rugby 7s, then they would be set.

I would even at some point like to see American football with no NFL/CFL players allowed (would not be fair.) Meaning NCAA, CIS, Mexico university teams could send players in the summer. Hockey, rugby have shown this is a great way to expose players and pick up foreign players.
These countries all have leagues:
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Finland
Germany
Hungary
India (actually has a ton of money thrown behind it.)
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan (over 60 registered semi-pro teams.)
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Serbia
Spain
GB (over 80 semi pro teams)

Most NCAA Teams would walk all over the other teams though you'd have to make it so they aint from "powerhouse" college's.. Of which already kinda hammes with their "world cup" where the US wins pretty much every year (link - http://www.americanfootball2011.com/en/) and that is with lower ranked NCAA College Players.

Most NCAA Teams would walk all over the other teams though you'd have to make it so they aint from "powerhouse" college's.. Of which already kinda hammes with their "world cup" where the US wins pretty much every year (link - http://www.americanfootball2011.com/en/) and that is with lower ranked NCAA College Players.

Ya that's fair enough there are strict rules. I would be fine with it being an optional only thing for the states. You'd get the players who wanted to improve their draft stock and such so there'd be some top talent but for the most part it'd be fair. As well, if you made it so Canadian university players and Mexican university players could compete, along with Japan, you may have a good competition between the top 4. States would win, but it'd still be fun to watch.

USA have to invent their own sports to call themselves number one

why don't they try and become number one at a sport that has a credible worldwide game

why don't they try and become number one at a sport that has a credible worldwide game
Who's going to bite..

I can sense someone is going to be seething after that...:p

it's actually just a variation of rugby. It is quite popular at the amateur level around the world. It is only fully professional in Canada, USA. Semi pro in UK, Korea, Germany, Japan and Mexico. Everything else is amateur level.
It would actually be closest to reflecting the true spirit of the olympics. Just Ban NFL/CFL players and give the other teams full access to there players and it would be a good competition. Sure the USA might win but there the best, doesn't mean everyone else can't enjoy the game for their country.
Everyone though they would win the World Baseball Classic but they didn't, even Canada owned them once.
What i don't get about the Namibia thing is that there are roughly 60 or so active national teams in rugby and Namibia makes the world cup every time. Ya they get trashed but that's still a credit to them.

What sports do they invent and say they are number one at aside from football? Baseball and basketball are global. If anything, both sports have more global parity than rugby.
Not every sport is like football where the whole world but North America devote all their resources to it.

Sorry for the late reply.

I actually enjoy international basketball. It sucks that Canada is bad at it but we should pick up in a few years (more NBA players that ever.)

World Baseball Classic has also been enjoyable, especially since Japan has proven that they are the best. That, and it gives me an opportunity to troll Americans about their record. What's the all time record for Canada vs USA in best-on-best Baseball? 1-1, aggregate score 13-12 for Canada. Hopefully, for the next tourney we should do well. Votto, Bay and Morneau are all good enough to help us out.

I loved the WBC as well and went to both Canada games in 2009, hopefully they fix up the format next time double elimination was very awkward and unwieldly. There is supposed to be one in 2013 and apparantly we have to qualify since we did so poorly in 2009 LOL, we are going to crush some of the other qualifiers.

I think we have some talent waiting to emerge on the basketball side of things, I didn't like Rautins as coach very much. We aren't going to be world beaters but hopefully we can qualify for the Olympics or some of the more prestigous competitions.

Exactly!! and how redundant does it sound to call something the World Series, when only USA compete???

I would just like to know people's opinion on what the worst sport in the Olympics is, and which ones should be taken out

Football - no footballers would say they prefer the Olympics over the World Cup, Olympics is about lesser sports getting a moment, also we have to put up with the stupid bickering between the British FA's about Team GB football team which is a like one those Lions threads

Tennis - do we really need another opportunity to see Andy Murray lose another semi final? also they already have their big tournaments

Synchronized Swimming
- this is supposed to be real sport, not some poor water based equivalent of Dancing with the Stars which isn't entertaining enough to even have its own reality show

Modern Pentathlon
- roughly about 20 people in the world do this sport

Dressage - question, why does a horse version of crufts get in the Olympics? another question, if the a horse is transported from France, is it allowed to compete for Great Britain?

Archery - Eddie Butler commentates on it

Diving - would be more entertaining if fatties did it, where is Tony Buckley when needed?

Greco Roman Wrestling
- try explaining the difference between this and freestyle without Googling

Sailing - more boring than watching repeats of the 2007 World Cup final all day

Golf
It's a game for the privileged few and perhaps the most boring tv imaginable. Also encourages Americans to bellow your the man and such

Actually do love golf but don't think it's got a place at the Olympics, it's the pinnacle of the sport for every other event and then for golf it's at best the fifth most important tournament on any given year. Exact same thing with tennis. The whole football thing is just weird as well, it's an U23 competition bit with three older players. What about that is Olympic worthy?

Rugby 7s works though.

As for sports I can't stand, the hammer/javelin etc things don't do it for me. Don't love rowing either but Ireland are good at it so I won't complain too much.

Actually do love golf but don't think it's got a place at the Olympics, it's the pinnacle of the sport for every other event and then for golf it's at best the fifth most important tournament on any given year. Exact same thing with tennis. The whole football thing is just weird as well, it's an U23 competition bit with three older players. What about that is Olympic worthy?

Rugby 7s works though.

As for sports I can't stand, the hammer/javelin etc things don't do it for me. Don't love rowing either but Ireland are good at it so I won't complain too much.

Agree on all fronts, except hammer javelin etc as they are true Olympic sports from Greek times and my dad did both.

7s is a great addition.

Just watching a reply of Japan v Ireland at the event.

Agree with the tennis as having no real place in the Olympics and I am a massive fan. Especially as they have 4 grand slams, which are. It's been further devalued at the Olympics with the men's final being reduced to best of 3 sets. For me the best events at the Olympics are Swimming and athletics. I've got a soft spot for the ping pong as well.

I'd watch golf most weekends but the Olympics last time out was honestly worse than a tournament with the weakest field the European tour could throw out because the course was awful. No point having a tournament in a city with no decent course and not all cities have them. And then the pinnacle of the sport argument on top of that too.

I'd never watch shooting in the Olympics to be honest, seems as out of place as motor racing or karting would be in there insofar as the skill is using a machine.

Latest posts