• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which players from Argentina would be starters in the top 6 teams??

Pampas

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
In north hemisphere teams, I would say Figallo, Albacete, Fernandez Lobbe, and Imhoff. Perhaps Matera, Guiñazu and Camacho.

In SH, only Figallo, Albacete and Fernandez Lobbe.

What are your thoughts?

It depends on the team really doesn't it? Can't say a player will start for every team in the top 6 when some might be weaker in certain positions.

Albacete and Ayerza would have a good chance, the former in particular.

I'd fast track Fernandez Lobbe into pretty much any side. NZ being probably the only exception. I rate him higher than any #8 the 6N have, on par with Parisse. And for Italy he could take the flank. I also rate him higher than any #8 the boks have had recently, and he could do a lot of good to the Oz back-row.
Figallo and Albacete could hold a claim for any side as well, but that would depend on the strengths of each particular side.

And Pampas, I think Guiñazú, Matera and Camacho would be very far from making a top 6 squad.

Honestly, I'd not trade one of ours based on recent form.

Can't agree with that one bit. Albacete is the obvious one, he is a much more complete player than Ian Evans and one of the premier locks in the world he would be a starter for sure. Elsewhere Ayerza would have more than a decent chance of getting ahead of Gethin Jenkins who appears to be ageing worse than Adam, performances dropping and getting increasingly injury prone. I would start Fernández Lobbe as a more experienced consistent version of Faletau at this stage as well. I would imagine Imhoff would look more than useful in some better teams as well, quite similar in stature and skill to Eli Walker actually, except Imhoff is a much smarter winger positionally at this stage. And if I was thinking longer term, Figallo is only 25 quite a few years younger than Adam, plays both sides and has been embarrassing a 100 capped All Black prop after the scrum rule changes. Contepomi would have got plenty of caps in Wales during his career as well, better than Hook, a very good 12 and would have pleased the Welsh media obsessed by running fly halves.

Did you honestly watch the game last November and think you wouldn't have any of them?

I think Argentina have some very good individuals who would be competitive in getting in the squads in all the top 6, not necessarily start in all, but be competitive to start. They are let down by poor coaching, and certain players who are just lacking cutting edge at this level, especially in the midfield. They would have won a number of more games under Phelan had they had Halfpenny as well by the way.

Last edited:
Albacete, Fernandez Lobbe and Marcos Ayerza could play in any Super Rugby team IMO. In fact, the three are playing in top Europe's teams.

Albacete = Toulouse, the number one team of France
Ayerza = Leicester Tigers, the number one team of England and
Fernandez Lobbe = Toulon, the current European champion team.

Felipe Contepomi also, he has won the Heineken Cup 2008/9. In Leinster was a key part of the team. Now he's retiring but a few years ago he could have played on any team.

They can play in any Super Rugby team: Crusaders, Chiefs, Brumbies, Stormers and others. I pick them for my team.

Cheers

Last edited:
And what about Legui? He's fantastic...
I think Pablo Matera will be a huge player in the near future, and just 20!

Albacete, Fernandez Lobbe and Marcos Ayerza could play in any Super Rugby team IMO. In fact, the three are playing in top Europe's teams.

Albacete = Toulouse, the number one team of France
Ayerza = Leicester Tigers, the number one team of England and
Fernandez Lobbe = Toulon, the current European champion team.

Felipe Contepomi also, he has won the Heineken Cup 2008/9. In Leinster was a key part of the team. Now he's retiring but a few years ago he could have played on any team.

They can play in any Super Rugby team: Crusaders, Chiefs, Brumbies, Stormers and others. I pick them for my team.

Cheers

Sorry CS, I was not clear enough. I meant national teams.

And what about Legui? He's fantastic...
I think Pablo Matera will be a huge player in the near future, and just 20!

Im not sure about Leguizamon. However, he has been playing very well in this RC, and if he keeps this level he could have a chance, bar the AB and may be SA.

Matera has a been a great surprise. 20 years old, playing his firsts caps in the Puma shirt against the best 3 sides in the world, and the guy has been one of the best players of the tournament.

Sorry CS, I was not clear enough. I meant national teams.

It's the same thing, buddy. A player who can play in a top Super Rugby team, can play in any national team. If u can play for Crusaders, u can play in ABs. If u can play for Stormers, u can play in Boks.

EDIT: Ignore

What's the point in arguing with him.

Last edited:
I guess I was looking at it as developing our side. Faletau has the potential to be outstanding, while Ian Evans is seriously underrated. I'd forgotten about imhoff, so certainly him into the 23. Ayerza over Jenkins if an see, but I would still pick james.

I would certainly take a few Pumas if we retired a few of ours, but right now I'd see them out.

Conte a few years back, yes, but not now.
I watched the November test from behind my couch and in between my fingers. I think we have both agreed before that there was something not right with the Welsh team then.

Albacete would without a doubt, same applies to Ayerza. Both tremendous players and play at a high level week in, week out at club level. Both would spot into a Top 6 side in my opinion. Fernandez Lobbe obviously another. Just as good a player, if not better that Parisse in my opinion although it's a close one. Has everything in his game and as with the players mentioned above, he plays at a high level week in, week out. His leadership capabilities alone would put him in contention. Tremendous player.

What this thread shows is that they have the individuals to be a pretty formidable side. Unfortunately for Argentina they are carrying a couple of players who probably lack that little bit of quality from an International perspective. When you look at the strongest 15 their are a good number of players who I would say have the ability to slot into a Top 6 side relatively comfortably. Obviously there's some strong competition already in those sides but they could make the step up. Just a couple of issues that stall them slightly. Coaching included.

I guess I was looking at it as developing our side. Faletau has the potential to be outstanding, while Ian Evans is seriously underrated. I'd forgotten about imhoff, so certainly him into the 23. Ayerza over Jenkins if an see, but I would still pick james.

I would certainly take a few Pumas if we retired a few of ours, but right now I'd see them out.

Conte a few years back, yes, but not now.
I watched the November test from behind my couch and in between my fingers. I think we have both agreed before that there was something not right with the Welsh team then.

Fernandez Lobbe is the player Faletau could become in the future. Remember Toby still has work to do to improve, he is a great talent, but can go further. Fernandez Lobbe has the experience and is a quality player. If you were going to take a player now, you might choose Toby as he has years ahead of him, but for a match next week I would select Lobbe.

Also regarding Ian Evans, he is good player, but I personally rate Albacete alongside the O'Connell, Matfield level as one of the elite locks of the generation. He is a better version of Evans, contributing heavily in all aspects of carrying, rucking, lineouts and scrums. O'Connell and Albacete are both players who's presence raise the level of their team considerably. Have you ever seen how often Munster turn dismal without O'Connell, but fight with the best with him back?

Last edited:
As far as Wales is concerned, Lobbe in for Faletau and Albecete in for Evans, both of which have been said. Think I'd rather have Hernandez on the bench than Hook, as a utility-type fly-half, while Imhoff is unlucky not to make the 23. I love Imhoff.

Albecete and Lobbe would also walk into any of the Six Nations teams (France and Italy could play him on the flank instead of dropping stand-outs Picamoles and Parisse). The only possible exception is Scotland, where I feel Gray/Hamilton is almost too good a partnership to break up, but it'd probably be worth it. I reckon Imhoff would get into England, France, Scotland or Italy's teams, no doubts, and would probably squeeze into Ireland too. Camacho likewise. Leguizamon would start for England, Scotland or Ireland, and then France and Italy too if they're not playing Lobbe at 7 instead (Zanni/Dusatouir not worth dropping). Italy's centres may also be worth swapping. They'd definately take any of the 10s Argentina have on offer.

It's the same thing, buddy. A player who can play in a top Super Rugby team, can play in any national team. If u can play for Crusaders, u can play in ABs. If u can play for Stormers, u can play in Boks.

No. Obviously not. Just because you can play for the Crusaders doesn't mean you're good enough to be an All Black: Adam Whitelock will never start for the AB's. Similarly most of the above players wouldn't start for the ABs.

Anyone wearing a Pumas shirt in TRC #1-5.....instantly a starter in Oz. Anyone wearing a Jaguars shirt in ARC #1-5......instantly a 30 man squad member in Oz. :D

Seriously though, I think most of the choices have been covered here but it would really depend on each individual team's needs. The Wallabies would likely be better off with many of the Pumas forwards than the Boks would.

Small mention to Nico Sanchez, still has to improve a lot of things but he's a really good player and only 24 years of age. He's becoming a solid kicker and he is a superb defensive player. The player with most tackles made at the moment of the whole Championship with 59. He's the only back of the list.

Latest posts