• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which Quarter Final upset do you think is most likely to occur?

Which Quarter Final upset is most likely?

• Wales beat South Africa

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Argentina beat Ireland

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • France beat New Zealand

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Scotland beat Australia

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dont know why NZ fans are so worried about france. Did they not watch Ireland demolish them last week?

semi finals will be:

ireland v australia

NZ v SA

100% correct!!

Kiwis winding themselves up about France for this match is almost as big a laugh as their obsession with Barnes to cover up their team's inAdequacies all those years ago!!!!

Gentlemen lets not forget that WE hold the Cup and that WE are not going to give it up lightly.

Thank you.
Yet another chap to write off the AB's.
Lovin' it.
Keep it coming.

Settle down buddy. No one is writing off New Zealand. The question was about the most likely upset.

SA vs Wales could go either way so no potential for upset. Same for pumas v irish.

It's more likely that France will beat nz rather than scots beating the Wallabies.

That said, I think nz are raging hot favourites for this game and the world cup itself. Everyone expects them to win it and nobody really believes france have a chance. I'm sure nz are relaxed about this and already thinking about the semi finals :)

Agree Lourens, I just cant see argentina scoring enough tries to beat ireland. They dont concede many thats why they are so hard to beat and joe smidth has made the defence as solid as a rock. France never came close to try time. When ireland play well they demolish most teams with their structured phase play retaining possession. Most of the posters on here are too busy watching SH rugby to appreciate a good NH team which is what ireland are regardless of injuries and citings. :p

Before the world cup I rated Ireland as semi finalists and even a chance to go all the way, have watched the team develop over the last 2 years into something quite awesome and really enjoy the type of rugby you play, but even as an Irish fan you must admit the world cup hasn't been as convincing as it should have been.

Settle down buddy. No one is writing off New Zealand. The question was about the most likely upset.

SA vs Wales could go either way so no potential for upset. Same for pumas v irish.

It's more likely that France will beat nz rather than scots beating the Wallabies.

That said, I think nz are raging hot favourites for this game and the world cup itself. Everyone expects them to win it and nobody really believes france have a chance. I'm sure nz are relaxed about this and already thinking about the semi finals :)

Agreed, except I always feel France has a chance when they play the AB's, they have an uncanny ability to produce a big game against us when they need it.

Before the world cup I rated Ireland as semi finalists and even a chance to go all the way, have watched the team develop over the last 2 years into something quite awesome and really enjoy the type of rugby you play, but even as an Irish fan you must admit the world cup hasn't been as convincing as it should have been.

Agreed, except I always feel France has a chance when they play the AB's, they have an uncanny ability to produce a big game against us when they need it.
Meh, we haven't looked like we were ever going to lose any of our games and the improvement from Italy to France was very impressive. We've beaten two tier 1 sides which is two more than Argentina who are yet to prove themselves this RWC as far as I'm concerned. The big difference between the sides though is that if Argentina go out than that's par for the course for this tournament and it wouldn't be considered as a failure, totally the opposite for Ireland as topping our group for the second consecutive World Cup means anything but a win to back it up this time is a failure.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh, we haven't looked like we were ever going to lose any of our games and the improvement from Italy to France was very impressive. We've beaten two tier 1 sides which is two more than Argentina who are yet to prove themselves this RWC as far as I'm concerned. The big difference between the sides though is that if Argentina go out than that's par for the course for this tournament and it wouldn't be considered as a failure, totally the opposite for Ireland as topping our group for the second consecutive World Cup means anything but a win to back it up this time is a failure.

Even though I don't consider this an upset and think its crazy how much people are virtually placing Ireland in the semi-finals. In my personal opinion I think Argentina are more likely to win this match. They came 3rd in 2007 and have come a long way since then. Being in the Rugby Championship they have regular tests against top opposition and have looked very good so far, I also think they have another gear to move into. I think Argentina are best suited to this kind of knock-out rugby and coupled with the losses Ireland have had (O'Brien is a moron for missing the chance to send his country to the semis over something so petty) I think Argentina will rattle a few cages and I fancy them strongly in this one.

nobody really believes france have a chance. )
I thought the same in 99 07 and 2011 they won't fool me this time. A few kiwis in here have short memories.i expect the ABs to win but If France pull something out of their arse to win this weekend I'll be supporting them all the way, but for now I still bleed black and believe we have a team good enough to win this World Cup. It'll be close 24-21 to the good guys.

Even though I don't consider this an upset and think its crazy how much people are virtually placing Ireland in the semi-finals.

Funny because from what I see most fancy Argentina to win. I certainly don't see anyone placing Ireland in the semi finals.

I think Ireland and Scotland are being underrated. The Scots are up against it but there isn't a whole lot between themselves and Argentina and Ireland are similar level to the Wallabies yet the poll has less than 5% for a Scottish win and over 60% for an Argentina win.

- - - Updated - - -

As for NZ France. NZ should win this because France have a limited attack but they might be in for a shock by the physicality of the French. NZ will have to up their game and cut out the sloppy mistakes but should do and will pull away in the end. If theyre not at 100% and allow France into it, it could be interesting.

Last edited:
I can't understand everybody's thoughts on the Ireland Argentina game ! I feel that Ireland certainly deserve more credit than they are getting after their victory over a brutally damaging French side. Madigan, Henderson and Chris Henry all stepped up to the challenge after 3 huge losses due to injury and all 3 replacements filled rather large boots very well ! Yes Argentina are a very good side don't get me wrong and anything can happen on a quarter final day but I still think that Ireland will do it. IRL VS AUS semis what a match that would be !

I can't understand everybody's thoughts on the Ireland Argentina game ! I feel that Ireland certainly deserve more credit than they are getting after their victory over a brutally damaging French side. Madigan, Henderson and Chris Henry all stepped up to the challenge after 3 huge losses due to injury and all 3 replacements filled rather large boots very well ! Yes Argentina are a very good side don't get me wrong and anything can happen on a quarter final day but I still think that Ireland will do it. IRL VS AUS semis what a match that would be !

Ireland would make short work of The Wallabies.

I can't understand everybody's thoughts on the Ireland Argentina game !
You think Scotland vs Australia is a closer match-up than Argentina vs Ireland?

Again, the poll is not about who do you think will win. The poll is about which one of the underdogs (Argentina being the one in ARG vs IRE) has the best chances of overcoming the odds. You can clearly see that if you add all the percentages and see they add up to 100%.
It does not mean people think Argentina will beat Ireland. It means people think it is more likely for Argentina to beat Ireland than Scotland beating Australia (to use one example). "More likely" and "than" being the key words here.

argentina v australia ?

:rolleyes: very clever conrad! it should be a great game in any case. Sexton is 50/50. If he plays we will win.

Last edited:

Again, the poll is not about who do you think will win. The poll is about which one of the underdogs (Argentina being the one in ARG vs IRE) has the best chances of overcoming the odds. You can clearly see that if you add all the percentages and see they add up to 100%.
It does not mean people think Argentina will beat Ireland. It means people think it is more likely for Argentina to beat Ireland than Scotland beating Australia (to use one example). "More likely" and "than" being the key words here.

I understand that but my point is that Ireland deserve more credit than they are getting ? I think the scots will put it up to Australia for 50 mins or so before starting to conceed and fatigue. I hope I'm wrong though I really like Scotland. I think that France are favourites to create the upset ! They have proved hard to beat when they are on form and you never know when they could be on form they vary from one game to the next. I still think Ireland will be the only NH team to progress to the semis though, maybe France who knows !

12 times more likely according to the poll.

Personally I can see Wales beating SA in close tryless game.
Argentina beating Ireland and sharing 40 odd points.
France beating NZ in another close game.
And finally Oz beating Scotland by 20 plus points.

- - - Updated - - -

Current odds -:

Wales to win 12/5
France to win 4/1
Argentina to win 19/ 5

Odds with William Hill giving a return of 49.3/1 for the treble ie put a tenner on the treble and get back £493.00. Not bad if you fancy those 3 results
Best current price on Scotland winning is 9/1 with Betfair, which I think says it all about their chances.

- - - Updated - - -

France, bring down the arrogance known as New Zealand.[/QUOTE

That's a bit Pot/Kettle isn't it, if you're as good as the All Blacks have been over the years, I think you're confussing Arrogance with confidence.

Not a chance that treble is coming in, quite fancy the Wales Argentina double tho that should return 20/1 ?

I think it's impressive that Australia wasn't able to score a try against Wales, Wales ****ed up in that game offensively but South Africa will have a harder game than any other that they had previously, without their A Game they are not winning this IMO.

Latest posts