• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Do You Think Will Be in the Wallabies?

I have actually been out of the country for 6 weeks and have come back and was a little confused with the Brumbies side. Where is Playford? He was clearly a better wing option than Fainifo and was looking like a certainty for the Wallabies early on. At least that's what I thought.
[/b]

Playford injured himself a few weeks back, and will be heading overseas at the end of the season.

The Brumbies have got Mafi from the Tahs to take his place.

they might as well just use as much of the Tahs pack as possible.
[/b]

That's the last thing we need.

Our scrum will get humiliated (again), and we won't be able to retain our own ball at the breakdown.

No offence InsaneAsylum but that team u mentioned in your first post was a shocker. Why do u support the Cheifs if ur from Melborune btw?
[/b]

no offence taken... it's good to see different people with different opinions on who should be wearing the green and gold. that was the purpose of creating the post, can't wait till the tri-nations start.

as for the chiefs, i'm australian, grew up in melb, and i have family and friends from waikato. we have no melbourne team in the super 14 and i have no loyalites with any other australian state. I like the chiefs, so f*** it... i'll go for them. they are an exciting team and i like the way they play. they also aren't the most popular or highly rated team in NZ which makes me like them even more! it's a different story though when the Wallabies are playing.

InsaneAsylum, just go for the Force already and be done with it, hell, we play pre-season matches in Melbourne as well, don't see your beloved Chiefs doing that. B)

InsaneAsylum, just go for the Force already and be done with it, hell, we play pre-season matches in Melbourne as well, don't see your beloved Chiefs doing that. B) [/b]

HA! go for the club that ruined melbourne's chance of super 14 action.... NEVER

besides i already have heaps of red black and yellow gear to wear :)

honestly though, as i have no loyalty to states, i like all the aussie super 14 teams equally, as they all have a few of my favourite players in them :)

I don't think Rodzilla should really get a look in for the Wallabies team, he's at best in the train on squad. He's been having a pretty low impact all season, being benched behind Dayna Edwards, who I think should definitely be the tight head for the Wallabies. I like the idea of Lucas on the bench, as he allows a 5-2 split because he plays flyhalf. Horwill is should be in the team too, he's played out of his skin this year. Moore's been a bit up and down, but I think he's still the frontrunner for the No.2. It's a bit of a quandary what to do for No.15, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I like mackka's team, with the exception of Dunning on the bench, but apart from that I reckon its got a lot of potential.

Hamster, not picking Mitchell despite the fact he has been a performer all season in a rubbish Force backline? Look at his metres gained and line break stats and tell me Hynes has played better... [/b]

Sorry buddy completely forgot about Mitchell there! Was trying to remember who the Force's wingers were!

Definetly Mitchell as the no.1, I'm still ****** by the fact he didnt start in the WC QF. He should be considered ahead of Tiquri, but I also agree it's time Hynesy gets his Wallaby debut and he should be in the 22 for the Ireland game imo.

BTW Insane cos your from Melbourne I'm guessing you would be an AFL fan? what team do u go for?

BTW Insane cos your from Melbourne I'm guessing you would be an AFL fan? what team do u go for? [/b]

i grew up on afl, following the demons... currently dead last :D

started watching rugby league in the late 80's then found union in the early 90's, haven't looked back.

<div class='quotemain'>
I think the people claiming that the Reds have the best scrum in Australia are going to get a real shock on Saturday night.[/b]

Woot woot!!!!
[/b][/quote]

I am shocked that the Tahs outdid them in that department...

I would give that credit to Robinson and Polata-Nau, and would still leave Dunning and Baxter to play club rugby...

I'll give it a shot :)

1, 2, 3: I really don't know, probably Polata-Nau as 2 and Rodney Blake with Robinson. This is the area where the Wallabies usually do very poorly and so long as Dunning or Baxter aren't picked I'll be happy.

4, 5: Vickerman is a must here in my opinion, partnered by Horwill I would say, but keep players like Mumm and Chisholm in the squad. Sharp really isn't that great a player, at least I think so.

6, 7: Elsom and Smith to start with Pocock on the bench but Waugh could get a look in here. Chisholm and Hoiles could also cover some of these positions.

8: Palu is our best option I believe, with Hoiles on the bench we should have plenty of players that can cover this position if Palu has to leave for whatever reason.

9: Burgess, he gets the ball out quickly from the ruck, exactly what we needed against England and didn't have with Gregan playing.

10: I like Barnes here, with Giteau at 12 but you could easily swap them around.

11, 14: It's a pity that Mitchell is injured now as I reckon he's a great player and should have definitely secured his test spot after his performances in the World Cup but for now have Gerard. As for the other winger, Tiquiri, with turner on the bench to cover a few spots.

12, 13: Giteau or Barnes at 12 doesn't really make a massive difference in my opinion. Mortlock has done enough since coming back from injury to earn a spot in the run on side, but Cross should get a look in (although he might be injured?)

15: Sheppard, don't really have a fullback that can make something from nothing like Latham any more but both Shepard and Gerard have good boots on them which is what we need now.

That's the team that I reckon could serve us well in future years, we need to get some young guys in and train them up for the next world cup.

No offence InsaneAsylum but that team u mentioned in your first post was a shocker. Why do u support the Cheifs if ur from Melborune btw?

imo something like this wud be good..

1. Holmes
2. Polota-Nau / Freier (plz not Moore)
3. WOuldnt have a clue, just not Sherperdson or Baxter and I will be happy)
4. Horwill (must go for the future)
5. Vickerman. just ahead of Sharpe.
6. Rocky/Pocock
7. Smith
8. Houston/Hoiles/Palu (toughy, but all good players)
9. Lucas/Burgess
10. Giteua. no doubt bout it
11. Tiqiri (hate to say it but hes playing well)
12. Barnes. Must have him there. Played his f***ing arse off this year.
13. Mortlock/Cross
14. Hynes. Pick him FFS hes been on fire for the Reds. He wont be a starter in bledsisloe etc but shud definetly be picked for the Ireland game.
15. Gerrard/Shepherd. both good players, not sure whos better.

Reserves:
Players ive mentioned above.

Or we could pick for the future straight away, dump gits and have Beale at 10, Turner 11, O'Connor at 12, Horne at 13 lol.
[/b]

I think you have got it pretty much spot on.

Horwill needs to be in there - he comprehensively outplayed both bakkies botha and nathan sharpe this season and they had been 2 of the top locks.

Pocock is worth a gamble, especially with Elsom going overseas (if you are going, you shouldnt get to play).

Barnes is unflappable defensively and with Giteau, he gives the backline another quality ballplayer. Not to mention he is getting better and better at popping over the dg when there is nothing on.

Hynes is the form Aussie wing of the comp and deserves to be rewarded with at least the Ireland game, if not a Bledisloe cap. Mitchell is good, probably faster and good in the air but Hynes just has a knack of popping up in the right place to push the attack through the midfield. He combines very well with the centres and did you see some of the hits he put on this season?! Hello Richard Brown! Keep in mind that this is all coming from someone who made the comment last year that Hynes is a tier 2 mediocre player at best and will never wear Wallabies jersey. I am happily eating my words right now...

Shepherd has to be the fullback over Gerrard.

15: Sheppard, don't really have a fullback that can make something from nothing like Latham any more but both Shepard and Gerard have good boots on them which is what we need now.
[/b]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGowVghCZ0

01:50. It speaks for itself....

Horwill needs to be in there - he comprehensively outplayed both bakkies botha and nathan sharpe this season and they had been 2 of the top locks.

Hynes is the form Aussie wing of the comp and deserves to be rewarded with at least the Ireland game, if not a Bledisloe cap. Mitchell is good, probably faster and good in the air but Hynes just has a knack of popping up in the right place to push the attack through the midfield. He combines very well with the centres and did you see some of the hits he put on this season?! Hello Richard Brown! Keep in mind that this is all coming from someone who made the comment last year that Hynes is a tier 2 mediocre player at best and will never wear Wallabies jersey. I am happily eating my words right now...
[/b]
Horwill is a thug, if we want someone to get a yellow every game then he is our man...

Hynes will be in Australia A, Mitchell is just too good. Wingers are supposed to play on the wing btw, not the midfield, although Lote has been playing in the midfield all season so I suppose if he does it then it must be the right thing to do. ;)

As long as you dont have Matt Dunning and his mini me Robinson you should be alright in the props department. I'd always thought people would pick Giteau at 10 and Barnes at 12. Barnes wont be as flashy as Giteau but D is solid and I think Giteau is better at controlling the backline. I don't know maybe I'm wrong Im no expert on Australian Rugby.

Matt Dunning's mini me Robinson...Im no expert on Australian Rugby.
[/b]

Clearly. Robinson has dominated pretty much every scrum he's come up against. He and Polota-Nau took the Stormers and Reds to pieces.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Clearly. Robinson has dominated pretty much every scrum he's come up against. He and Polota-Nau took the Stormers and Reds to pieces. [/b][/quote]

Lol I didnt watch the stormers game so I'll take your word for it. In the reds game I actually saw Robinson collapse the scrum at least twice. He looked like Carl Hayman once Matt Dunning came on though. Reds dont really have a quality front row imo. Benn Robinson will get his beans if he faces off against Woodcock as his opposite. Benn Robinson is a average scrummager and you should be worried if hes going to be your no.1 prop.

I also have to give props to Tuiqiri who has been on form lately. I usually have fun dissing but I have to give credit when its due. If I was to judge Hynes on one game (reds vs waratahs) I'd say he was a hopeless prat who managed to make up his mistakes with his try. Oh yeah, Robinson is gonna get destroyed if you choose him as your number one prop.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Clearly. Robinson has dominated pretty much every scrum he's come up against. He and Polota-Nau took the Stormers and Reds to pieces. [/b][/quote]

Lol I didnt watch the stormers game so I'll take your word for it. In the reds game I actually saw Robinson collapse the scrum at least twice. He looked like Carl Hayman once Matt Dunning came on though. Reds dont really have a quality front row imo. Benn Robinson will get his beans if he faces off against Woodcock as his opposite. Benn Robinson is a average scrummager and you should be worried if hes going to be your no.1 prop.
[/b][/quote]

Haha I'm gonna sound like a real tool here but I'm just a massive fan of this bloke.

I remember a few scrums collapsing but they were all on the Reds feed if I remember correctly and Robinson was hardly under pressure so I dunno what it says about his scrummaging. At the end of the day he was instrumental in completely destroying a pack that stood up well against both the Crusaders and Blues. He's already come up against Woodcock when we played the Blues. I can't really remember how he went but I'm pretty sure our scrum was very solid that match. I know he doesn't look like much but I'd be quietly confident come scrum time if we had him in the Wallabies front row.

edit - we won three tight heads against the Stormers.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
I think the people claiming that the Reds have the best scrum in Australia are going to get a real shock on Saturday night.[/b]

Woot woot!!!!
[/b][/quote]

I would give that credit to Robinson and Polata-Nau, and would still leave Dunning and Baxter to play club rugby... [/b][/quote]
Of course you are. You've expected the Tahs to be thumped every week because being NSW means they "must suck". Maybe you need to shake that colossal chip off your shoulder, because it seems to be warping your perspective :p .

Wingers are supposed to play on the wing btw, not the midfield, although Lote has been playing in the midfield all season so I suppose if he does it then it must be the right thing to do. ;) [/b]
Wingers are indeed supposed to play on the wing, but a good winger will go looking for work when work needs to be done. And when you're as big and powerful as Lote, you're just wasting time if you spend the whole match on your wing.

<div class='quotemain'>

Woot woot!!!!
[/b][/quote]

I would give that credit to Robinson and Polata-Nau, and would still leave Dunning and Baxter to play club rugby... [/b][/quote]
Of course you are. You've expected the Tahs to be thumped every week because being NSW means they "must suck". Maybe you need to shake that colossal chip off your shoulder, because it seems to be warping your perspective :p .
[/b][/quote]

Nooooooo...

Because the Reds scrum have had a consistently strong scrum for a few years now... and have generally stood up against the best scrummaging teams in the competition... wheras the Waratahs have had a scrum that has mixed results...

Obviously Robinson and Polata-Nau make a HUGE difference to the front row, and I'd hope they' in contention for the Wallabies...

One of Connolly's big mistakes was to give Robinson a chance, and then out of nowhere dump him for Dunning and Baxter who are completely useless...

But thanks for telling me what my intentions are... :p

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Haha I'm gonna sound like a real tool here but I'm just a massive fan of this bloke.

I remember a few scrums collapsing but they were all on the Reds feed if I remember correctly and Robinson was hardly under pressure so I dunno what it says about his scrummaging. At the end of the day he was instrumental in completely destroying a pack that stood up well against both the Crusaders and Blues. He's already come up against Woodcock when we played the Blues. I can't really remember how he went but I'm pretty sure our scrum was very solid that match. I know he doesn't look like much but I'd be quietly confident come scrum time if we had him in the Wallabies front row.

edit - we won three tight heads against the Stormers. [/b][/quote]

Doesnt it makes sense to collapse an opposing scrum rather than your own feed? It makes no sense unless your getting wasted by the opposing players (which I cant recall either team getting a noticable upper hand)
Btw Crusaders front row is cack! Gregg Somerville whos their best scrummager gets owned week in & week out.John Afoa is a very average scrummager, Its his open play abilities that keeps him on the starting lineup, plus Woodcock can make anyone alongside him look good and Mealamu is solid in scrums. I also remember a scrum rotating with Robinsons side getting crunched which happened twice I believe. Its possible Baxter might have been carryingfor once his weight in that game haha. I'll be brutally honest though i wouldnt know who to pick as your front row.