• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies Squad for Samoa and Tri Nations

I doubt even the coaches know at this stage who their world cup #12 will be. In fact, this is what the Tri-Nations are for. I reckon hold the debate for a few weeks, when we have actual performances to go off. Deans might try a few different centre combo's, plus injuries could happen.

Personally i prefer O'Connor on the wing in this team, Australia has the best kick return in the world when he does play there. They should definitely give Faingaa a run outside Cooper though, he is just what they need, but he might not be at test level yet.

This is not the point.
One more playmaker doesn't mean he should always be outside the flyhalf!

What makes difference sometimes, is when you have split the field, with 2 sides where attack, and sending a good playmaker (12) to one of these sides, he must have good hands, sharpe boot and should be a decision maker.

Once he is outside Cooper, he can be skipped with some movements that put others in space...
Wallabies need this kind of player because they have a open-style game, with dynamic forwards and very talented backs capable of reading each situation, they don't need pure crashing-power among the backs (but they need it in the forward!! where they really lack of)!
"Penetration" means to pass the defence line, not necessarly to go straight into it and win the collision!

The best games Australia played in 2010, have always been played in this way, with these kind of players. Look at vs. France, vs. All Blacks in Sydney and HK, even those strange games played in the highveld against SA: great tries were scored by backs running different lines, 2 or 3 passes, no more, but well executed and great decisions taken by playmakers, QC (10) or Giteau/Barnes (12).
When QC were involved in rucks or tackled (or they just got switched), there were someone else to take stand-off duties and deliver the job:
Ashley-Cooper vs. France, Ashley-Cooper in Hong Kong, Drew Mitchell in Hong Kong, Drew Mitchell vs. SA (Brisbane and highveld), O'Connor vs. SA...

This is (or at least has been) the most effective Oz backline combination. There are no doubts about that.

And let me say Beale can't be the outside playmaker, because he is a NATURAL talent in the open spaces, this has already been spot by all media and forums, his great capability of counter-attack, finding spaces in broken play are the biggest reason he's the best option at fullback for Australia.
And the best fullback in world rugby.
If Beale should be involved in the tight stage of a phase, near to the rucks/mauls, he will lose 50% of his efficacy!

He need to be involved in plays after n.12 and even after 13 if blindside wing will come into the backline!

I understand the reason for having two playmakers at 10 and 12, but nearly every team in the world has gone away from this. Instead teams are opting for a playmaker at 9 rather than a playmaker at 12. If you watch the Reds play you will see Genia will adopt much of the playmaking responsibility if Cooper is unavailable - it is certainly very effective for the Reds! Quade Cooper is someone who wants to have the ball in his hands every play - to me he always plays better when he has the sole responsibility to run the team, rather than share it with another another playmaker at 12. He also plays better when he has a strong ball runner outside him - not necessarily to run at players as you suggest, but rather to hit gaps. Assuming they play Faingaa at 12 he certainly possesses adequate playmaking skills as well (he has played at 10 in the past). It will be interesting to see who Deans ends up picking at 12 - as TNT88 points out even he probably doesn't know yet who will be his 12 come RWC time.

Very interesting Line Up for SA on the weekend. I wonder whether he is picking the first XV, or simply another trial team because SA are playing their B side? I would call it just about full strength) Anyway,

- No Giteau
- Sharpe on the bench
- McCabe and AAC get another run at centre.

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O'Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

16. Saia Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)
17. Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)
Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)
22. Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)

ETA: Boks line up announced:

15. Gio Aplon
14. Bjorn Basson
13. Juan De Jongh
12. Wynand Olivier
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Morne Steyn
9. Ruan Pienaar
8. Ashley Johnson
7. Danie Roussouw
6. Deon Stegmann
5. Johann Muller
4. Flip van der Merwe
3. Werner Kruger
2. John Smit (capt)
1. Dean Greyling

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle
17. CJ van der Linde
18. Alistair Hargreaves
19. Jean Deysel
20. Charl McLeod
21. Adrian Jacobs
22. Patrick Lambie.

Last edited:
I would've expected A.Faingaa to start, but apart from that it's what I expected

Still not impressed by Rocky, either in the 6 shirt or Captain...

Well, I think Sharpe is on the bench for he's 33 and need to be very fit for the RWC, and Simmons deserves a start after a very good Super Rugby campaign! He must be tried!
Rocky Elsom needs minutes and minutes, so I understand why he's there (apart from that captain thing)...

IMO this could be the last call for Matt Hodgson and Pat McCabe... a do or die contest against Pocock/Robinson and Fainga'a (even though he has yet to prove his value).

South Africa... well, I think these 2 second row could be better than the regular... Ashley Johnson 8, mmm not so sure!
Strong front row, John Smit apart... but I hope he has found his old form.

Last edited:
A little off topic:
After watching the whole series of The Code back to back, how come Tom Carter has never played for the Wallabies?
Never really noticed him before this season, but been impressed with him every time I've seen him - has this been a blip of good form, or has he just never been picked because of other players already in the 12/13 shirts?

Elsom is a joke... I hope he goes back to Ireland or something....

A little off topic:
After watching the whole series of The Code back to back, how come Tom Carter has never played for the Wallabies?
Never really noticed him before this season, but been impressed with him every time I've seen him - has this been a blip of good form, or has he just never been picked because of other players already in the 12/13 shirts?

He has never been a great player, but the biggest obsticle for him is that he doesn't fit the Wallabies gameplan. He is really just your traditional cart horse midfielder, which goes well with the Waratahs slower tactics but the Wallabies like to play expansively and Carter doesnt fit that mould.

The thing about Tom Carter is that he has played in a few games where he has looked very good but most games he's pretty much just a standad 12-13.

Last edited:

Latest posts