• australia

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • russia

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • south africa

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agree, I think it needs to grow in Australia, Italy and Argentina as there is already a base to work from. I really don't think making the World cup into a marketing tool that goes to nations that have no real interest in the sport is a good idea. We already have the 7s circuit to "spread the word".

If someone could make a compelling case that an American World Cup would lead to significant growth there, then I could see an argument for taking the financial hit (or treating it as the cost of marketing), but as I say, the thinking never seems to run deeper than "if you build it, they will come".

I never said that it was World rugby's only job or that it had to be in a tier 2, idk why your panty's are in a bunch.

Yes you did and they're not. What was the mention of Spain other than an implication that it should be in a tier 2 country.

As an aside, other than creating friction, what do the tiers achieve? As far as I can see, the game would be better off if they were never mentioned again.

Don't buy the USA argument. Football tried it in 94 and 25+ years later there's still been no revolution. Rugby won't have anything like the publicity that got either. As well as that, it's probably just too big as a country to be much fun for travelling fans (although that's not an insurmountable obstacle). If we're going for a time zone in the Americas, I'd much prefer Argentina, although whether that would be viable I'm not sure (any Argetines willing do discuss that further?).

I love the idea of a WC here in Ireland, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Don't buy the USA argument. Football tried it in 94 and 25+ years later there's still been no revolution. Rugby won't have anything like the publicity that got either. As well as that, it's probably just too big as a country to be much fun for travelling fans (although that's not an insurmountable obstacle). If we're going for a time zone in the Americas, I'd much prefer Argentina, although whether that would be viable I'm not sure (any Argetines willing do discuss that further?).

Would love Argentina. Always wanted to go there. Great wine, great beef and beautiful women to go along with the rugby

I don't have any number to hand, but I'd have thought that soccer in America has come on leaps and bounds since the 1994 WC. If nothing else, it directly led to the establishment of MLS, which appears successful. It's the third best attended league in the country and the seventh best attended soccer league in the world. TBH I was ready for someone to hold up soccer as an example of why an American world cup would be a good idea. I'd want to do a lot of research before construing this as an endorsement of following suit. It seems like FIFA managed to secure a huge investment in setting up MLS in exchange for the 1994 WC, even then, it nearly went through. Having a population of about 50 million soccer starved hispanics / latinos mush have been handy, latterly, so must the safety concerns with American Football.

Despite what the Marcator projection leads you to believe, the area of the contiguous states of the USA is about the same as that of Australia. I don't recall complaints about travel in 2003, although if you call Perth an outlier, it was only played in half the country, with the knockout phase confined to an even narrower area. As you say, a similar solution could be found in the USA. Afternoon games on the east coast would work for European TV markets.

I was as confused as anyone when 2023 went to France. Ireland was certainly third best in terms of stadia, but I'd have might have made up for that by being able to raise more per ticket and from hospitality. I'd be very interested to see how the financial projections stacked up against the other two bids. All I can imagine is that the numbers stacked up best for France, both in terms of profit and ticking the attendance box. Travel would have been a dream for all involved in Ireland and it would have ticked the box in bringing it to a country that had never hosted the tournament before. Would there be any enthusiam for a joint bid with some / all of the other home nations? I'd have thought that such a bid would be hard to defeat.

In contrast the USA would be a bit of a sterile meh and barely noticed by most of the country. I think it's a fallacy to suggest that it would kick start the domestic game over there. I get spreading the message but sorry USA I think it would be a bullet wasted. It wouldn't be a Japan mark II..

Agreed, until Rugby is recognised at collegiate level, the game won't grow, no matter what is thrown at it.

Latest posts