• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be targeted

Originally posted by esoj@Jul 14 2005, 09:08 PM
Canterbury are after kevin senio.

etc
Aaah. God that's annoying.

I hope he stays with BOP, but I guess going to Canterbury would not only pay better but also help develop his game more.

Originally posted by ALLBLACKS@Jul 15 2005, 06:10 AM
Players just play better in canterbury hoarding the players is a name for teams like Auckland and the NY Yankees.

Ron Cribb,Caleb Ralph,Rico Gear,are all good examples...playes ishy in Auckland played ALL BLACKS quality in Canterbury.
Canterburys success is in part due to the fact that they are a sole "one NPC team" super 12 franchise.

Therefore they don't have to pander to other first division teams within their super 12 area (like the Blues for instance), and are able to essentially play the same team all year around through both Super 12 and NPC competitions.

This may change of course with the introduction of a salary cap/Tasman NPC side.

For instance Gear hasn't improved (he has always been that good), its just that he has been given an opportunity to prove it - something that never really occured at the (Auckland!)blues......

Meh, Auckland are screwed this year, we've lost all our half decent players, ecspecially loose fowards to other franchises... the Blues on the other hand will still have a fighting chance.

Rico Gear is in a better system......Ron Cribb played pretty good in Canterbury,next yr he went back to AUckland and was never seen again.

As for Gear hees in a better sytem imagine rokocoko,Howlett,Sivivatu playing wing for Canterbury,they woul all have scored 15 tries or more.

Mils maybe going wellington next year.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10338210
All Blacks fullback Mils Muliaina has revealed he's considering shifting south to Wellington to play his rugby.

Muliaina comes off contract with Auckland at the end of this year and told The Dominion Post newspaper Wellington was one of his preferred destinations.

"Yeah, it's definitely an option I'm looking at because there are a lot of good backs down there," Muliaina said after All Blacks' training at Waitakere Stadium in Auckland yesterday.

"I'm coming off my contract with Auckland at the end of the year and it would be silly not to look at that option."

Muliaina, who has played 29 tests, said he recently visited Wellington to check out facilities and to see how he felt in the environment. He said he liked what he saw.

One of the main attractions for Muliaina, who has been one of the All Blacks' most consistent performers in recent years, was playing outside his All Blacks skipper Tana Umaga.

"The way Tana's running at the moment, as an outside back it's awesome to watch. He's almost the dream player to run outside."

Wellington and the hurricanes would have one awesome backline Umaga Nonu Smith Fa'atau Muliaina

found this at the end of an article on nzherald site

* Veteran halfback Ofisa Tonu'u is likely to be loaned to Northland for this NPC season and Taranaki flanker Chris Masoe is being tipped to transfer to Auckland and a possible Blues contract. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10338678

Masoe making the blues not sure about there seem to be plenty of loosies already in auckland and harbour

update on senio. bay have upped their offer

from nzherald http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10341351

Kevin Senio will decide next week where he will be playing his rugby in 2006 after Bay of Plenty upped the ante in their battle with Canterbury for the halfback's signature.

Bay of Plenty officials confirmed they had made an improved offer to Senio, 27, this week as the wealthy Canterbury union hone in.

Well its good that BOP are trying, but surely they won't be able to compete financially with Canterbury. I guess it will depend on how much Canterbury want him/want to spend on him.