• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be the best fly-half ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paterson should play fly half then he would be best. As for his kicking, that definately is.

Watch out for Michalak. One of the most unpredictable flyhalfs!

I can't believe talking bad about wilko... What else does he have to do to prove he is great (probably the greatest) apart from winning a world cup all by himself. Howeever i believe Hernandez is the best flyhalf nowadays...

Most magical fly half: Michalak

Best all-round fly half: Carter

Fly half most likely to win you a tight tense match: wilkinson

Most influential fly half: Wilkinson (I purely mean this within the context of the England team.He adds nous, tackling and self belief)

Most magical fly half: Michalak

Best all-round fly half: Carter

Fly half most likely to win you a tight tense match: wilkinson

Most influential fly half: Wilkinson (I purely mean this within the context of the England team.He adds nous, tackling and self belief)
[/b]

Yep you're pretty much spot on there mate although Carter did get shown up a bit when the pressure was on - which surprised me. Wilkinson is just an amazing player. When you've been injured as much as he is and to still put in the tackles he does.....whew! Add to that his reading of the game and his boot (of course) and you've got a really good FH. I am worried about what he is going to do to the Boks next Saturday. Especially because it looks like he'll be getting alot of good ball judging by the way the Bok pack have been playing.

Can't wait for the final it's going to be a humdinger!!!!

Can I just confirm whether we are talking about current fly half geniuses or future prospects?

To cheer up the Boks, when he hasn't been doing really dopey things like trying for a drop goal for the first time in his life on the half way line, Butch James has had a really accurate boot, even when under the toughest of pressure.

I don't think at the moment that there is a definitive "Best flyhalf"

Carter is probably the closest to being the best "all-round" flyhalf at the moment.

Larkham is probably still the best attacking flyhalf. Good tactical kicker but doesn't have a big boot.

Wilkinson is probably the best with the boot. But when he's not kicking the ball (90% of the time) he just passes off to his inside centre and doesn't do much else.

Larkham has been the best attacking fly-half for 8 years. His sniping runs and precision passing have been second to none. No questions asked. However his international career is over now so I suppose its time for someone else to take his crown.

Wilkinson's boot, whilst hated by me and many others, is magical. He is a true game winner. He is safe yet at the same time damaging.

I'd have to put Carter ahead of Johnny because he has played a lot more rugby over the past 4 years and is a great runner of the ball when he wants to.

I'll have to agree with Fushitsusha...Carter is the best "all round" fly-half.

I don't think at the moment that there is a definitive "Best flyhalf"

Carter is probably the closest to being the best "all-round" flyhalf at the moment.

Larkham is probably still the best attacking flyhalf. Good tactical kicker but doesn't have a big boot.

Wilkinson is probably the best with the boot. But when he's not kicking the ball (90% of the time) he just passes off to his inside centre and doesn't do much else. [/b]

good point about Larkham. The lack of a big boot isn't such a weakness though in the Aussie setup given that Latham can come up for when a real big welly up field is needed.

Gotta agree with others on this board, Carter is proberly the bast all round fly half, but as I said earlier, put him under pressure and he'll crack, he aint used to it.

Wilkinson might be a slighly limited player, but his kicking is top notch, he bosses a game like no other and is solid in deffence. He does everything England need at the mo, and that proberly makes him the best fly half at this moment in time.

For Wales, it seems that the fly half factory is well and trully back in full swing. There seems to be a glut of very tallented young players on their way through.

James Hook (best prospect at the mo)
Dai Flannagan (heard alot about this young player, very promising)
Rhys Priestland (Excellent boot, and got the rest to match, has had an excellent start to his regional carrer)
Gareth Owen (very good regional debut sunday, created a try with an excellent break)

If a couple more of these guys break through in the same way as Hook, weve got a very bright future in the pivotal outside half position.

I would say Wilkinson very narrowly over Carter purely because Wilkinson makes more of a difference to England than Carter does to New Zealand.

Wilkinson has a wiser head on his shoulders and plays to how the team performs and does the best with what he is given. Remember, the England backline lacks anywhere near the talent of the Kiwi backs, so when people play England they target mainly Wilkinson at the set piece, playing the Kiwis there are many other dangers other than Carter to protect against.

I think Wilkinson would match Carter if not better, if Wilkinson played for the ABs, I don't know how much Carter would bring to the England team. Both are exeptionally talented though. I rate the Argentinian 10 up there too, for the same reasons.

It's interesting that Wilko plays his club rugby for a side with a rubbish pack which tends to go for fast attacking rugby in the backs. For Newcastle when i see him play (not that often to be fair) his running ok but his distribution appears very good (better than for ENgland)

it seems rediculous, but is carters time up already? Will be be around come 2011 for new zealand, or will he decide to ship off to europe?

i would say Hernandez at the moment. Sure argentina are out, but to me he has made more of an impact than anyone else, jonny hasn't had that a great campaign. Having said that he's done what needed to be done

Foe me its Wilkinson simply because he has so much more to his game than most others in World Rugby. The momentum and team spirit he can build is just amazing and apart from ahving all the skills that make him great at his job, he can also change the whole course of a game (or in some cases a tournament as we witnessed in 2003). He is ideal for team games like Rugby

it seems rediculous, but is carters time up already? Will be be around come 2011 for new zealand, or will he decide to ship off to europe?
[/b]

Lol, god no. He's still only 25 and will be 29 (in his prime) in 2011. He has already made his intentions very clear stating that no matter what, he wants to stay on to at least 2011 for another crack. His time is no way near up.

Wilkinson showed in the final how ineffective he is at fly half. Yes he can kick a field goal, yes he can nail a penalty goal, but boy, he can not set up a try for ****.

When the Boks knocked on late in the 2nd half and the English won the scrum, he immediately looked for the chip kick for the hail merry play. He is simply not dangerous with ball in hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts