• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be World Player of the Year?

Ha, suppose so, but I do think defences started targeting him when they realised the threat he posed.
Mixture of both really I think team targeted JJ once they realised the threat he posed but in equal measure he was hardly helped by English management in their selection at IC. Throw into the fact that his injury he picked up in the Fiji game is bad enough for Bath to take him out the game for 3 months and you wonder how much that hampered him in that game and the Aus one.

But yeah I'll be very surprised if he makes the shortlist he needed a world cup performance to back his 6 nations one and he was nowhere near that.

Mixture of both really I think team targeted JJ once they realised the threat he posed but in equal measure he was hardly helped by English management in their selection at IC. Throw into the fact that his injury he picked up in the Fiji game is bad enough for Bath to take him out the game for 3 months and you wonder how much that hampered him in that game and the Aus one.

But yeah I'll be very surprised if he makes the shortlist he needed a world cup performance to back his 6 nations one and he was nowhere near that.

If he had someone to run hard and straight and fix the first centre it would have probably given him more time . Tuilagi wouldn't have allowed the opposition centres to drift across towards JJ so lazily . We were in desperate need of someone to pin them in place then JJ could expose the space

Pocock can suck a fat one and will be in the AB's back pocket come the final.

Come on man, don't be like that. Pocock is a great player.

Just a bit of banter. I've acknowledged this in many posts, we don't need to continuously pay homage to him, do people want to start sacrificing our sheep to him in order to appease the great Poey next? Bloody hell.

I look at the one major blight on Steve Hansen's selections that Ben Smith hasnt won player of the year yet. He should of been a dead cert selection like 4 years ago FFS. And should of won player of the year atleast once or twice already!!!

Smith is still pretty hard to go past for me he's been rock solid again this year won a super rugby ***le, bledisloe and likely a WC aswell.

But id be pretty sure Pocock will win this one he has been pretty consistent all year.

Rock solid doesn't cut it. Pocock's been making many game changing turn overs in huge games, scoring tries, leading from the front. He's looking as good as or better than McCaw in his prime right now.

I think there will be a NH nominee. Don't know who, and he's sure not to win it, but nomination rules have been extremely sketchy so even if it takes nominating 10 players, they'll do it. So I think the fun part would be to predict the three or four likely winners, plus the token NH nominee.
For me, the winner should be Ben Smith or Pocock. Both outstanding players, who've had enormous influence this year, and both also having big moments.
On Pocock, I think a lot of what he does goes unnoticed. He slows down every frecking opposition ruck and gets load of turnovers, sure, but he carries a lot in attack and I dare say he's the best Australian ball carrier. Better than Palu, surely better than McCalman, and imo better than Fardy (who is a close second).

Other nominees: for the AB Carter, Nonu, Conrad or Aaron Smith (Conrad has had an average year but he's never been nominated!)
Some Argentine. Probably Creevy, could be JMFL as a "career award", could also be Ayerza.
Possible surprise nominee: Scott Sio. Maybe the player who's had the biggest impact for Australia, after Pocock.
I predict no Saffer will get nominated: last in TRC, lost a pool game, hardly beat Wales.
Token NH: Greg Laidlaw, AW Jones or Paul O'Connell.

Pocock can suck a fat one and will be in the AB's back pocket come the final.
@Kiwi_ @KeyboardWorrier That's funny boss because I've seen McCaw poking out of David Pocock's pocket more often than Pocock pokes out of the pocket of McCaw!

Pocock will whip the AB's and strip them of ball after ball, winning the penalty that wins the cup for the Wallabies. Count on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pocock all the way. I think Lood de Jager will get a mention, Brodie Retallic also.Surprise nomination Gorgodze from Georgia, and the Japan 10, lol.

Pocock all the way. I think Lood de Jager will get a mention, Brodie Retallic also.Surprise nomination Gorgodze from Georgia, and the Japan 10, lol.

Either SA lock is a good shout too, and the Japan 15 also.

I think there will be a NH nominee. Don't know who, and he's sure not to win it, but nomination rules have been extremely sketchy so even if it takes nominating 10 players, they'll do it. So I think the fun part would be to predict the three or four likely winners, plus the token NH nominee.
For me, the winner should be Ben Smith or Pocock. Both outstanding players, who've had enormous influence this year, and both also having big moments.
On Pocock, I think a lot of what he does goes unnoticed. He slows down every frecking opposition ruck and gets load of turnovers, sure, but he carries a lot in attack and I dare say he's the best Australian ball carrier. Better than Palu, surely better than McCalman, and imo better than Fardy (who is a close second).

Other nominees: for the AB Carter, Nonu, Conrad or Aaron Smith (Conrad has had an average year but he's never been nominated!)
Some Argentine. Probably Creevy, could be JMFL as a "career award", could also be Ayerza.
Possible surprise nominee: Scott Sio. Maybe the player who's had the biggest impact for Australia, after Pocock.
I predict no Saffer will get nominated: last in TRC, lost a pool game, hardly beat Wales.
Token NH: Greg Laidlaw, AW Jones or Paul O'Connell.

Michael Hooper is by far Australia's best ball carrier. That's why the combination works so well, Hooper focuses on carrying and physicality in defence, while Pocock gets stuck into his pilfers and Fardy adds prowess at lineout time. Of course all them add a bit of each but those are their key roles.

Players:
David Pocock (winner)
Ritchie McCaw (honourable mention due to likely retirement from international rugby)
Mamuka Gorgodze
Ayumu Goromaru
Greg Laidlaw

Coach: Michael Cheika

Team: New Zealand

It's not exactly a breakthrough year for Pocock, though, is it :p
Cordero should be there, though.
Rules say that only players who have made their debut in the last year can get it, and Cordero started playing tests in 2013.
Often the Argentines play their first tests in the South American championship, so it is unlikely any Puma will ever get this award.

Rules say that only players who have made their debut in the last year can get it, and Cordero started playing tests in 2013.
Often the Argentines play their first tests in the South American championship, so it is unlikely any Puma will ever get this award.

Fair enough! I didn't realise he'd been capped so long ago as he's only 21 now.

Ben Smith!

he won the Super 15 and the rugby world cup for his respective teams!

Next...

Latest posts