• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who'll win the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think France has a fair chance to win the whole thing. They have a great squad, their game has improved a lot. Now they look more like a steady team than the one who had good days and bad days. They are very efficient, and many players are in their best shape this year (something I can't say about the all blacks). One we'll certainly be watching is Sebastien Chabal, who really proved he's worthy of a place in the french team during the NZ tests. Besides, a big advantage is the fact they'll be playing home. Not only because of the fields they're used to, or the fact that off-field they will be at home, with nobody to miss, and speaking in their own language, but also because of the spectators.I don't know how many internationals feel intimidated by a stadium full of french supporters, but they'll really give the French team a boost, that's for sure. I'm not saying France is the best team in the world, but it's hard to call. I know they have a tough group, but they are the favorites in that one. As for the rest, they've defeated the All Blacks at a RWC before, and even if they're not playing the same way, NZ was a favourite at that time too. As for South Africa, playing in france will be their biggest challenge this year (that's 'cause I didn't want to say "their only challenge").

There's no prejudice against NH teams where I come from, it's merely that certain teams get talked up and have their reputations blown out of proportion. [/b]
Look, I hear what your saying, but there is a bit of pot calling the kettle there. I mean, the Boks have hardly been dominating world rugby for the past few years either. Won one, lost one in the tri-nations before they stopped competing, and two wins over a make shift English side and Samoa are hardly the foundation for a "were going to win the WC" propaganda campaign.

You (by you I mean Bok fans in general) use these results to talk up your chances, and point and Irelands poor pre-season to talk down ours. I'm not actually disagreeing with you (we do have a shite pack), but at the same time you need to remove the rose tinted glasses, take a close look at your backline, and maybe ask the question, are they good enough to win you a WC? I'm not so sure.

I suppose we should all (all of us) remember that this close to the WC kicking off, the hype is taking over.

Anyhoo ................................. I cant really see beyond France and NZ to be honest.

You (by you I mean Bok fans in general) use these results to talk up your chances, and point and Irelands poor pre-season to talk down ours. I'm not actually disagreeing with you (we do have a shite pack), but at the same time you need to remove the rose tinted glasses, take a close look at your backline, and maybe ask the question, are they good enough to win you a WC? I'm not so sure.

By no means did i say that South Africa have the firepower in the backs as NZ or Australia do, indeed i agree that they have some issues in the backline.
But by going on results over the past year and a bit, NZ followed by South Africa, then France/Aussie show the greatest chance of winning the WC. I'm not taking the games into account where nigh on 2nd teams played (ie. Wales vs Australia, England Vs. South Africa, France Vs NZ).

To be frank, anyone outside these teams has barely any chance of winning, due mainly to lack of depth(which is essential due to the inevitable injuries) and the large deficencies in many teams games that even one injury would expose.

New Zealand will win if they play ok throughout.
France will win if they play well throughout.
Australia will win if they play very well throughout.
South Africa will win if they play extremely well throughout.
Ireland will win if they play perfectly throughout.
Wales are in with a shout if they play perfectly throughout and they get the bounce of the ball, a lot.

As Usual the Mighty All Blacks are held as Huge favourites... However the Springboks has got quite a brilliant squad this year and they've got a good fair chance to go all the way. It would be fun if the Springboks could get to face the AB's in the final game and beat them... they doesn't have to win by much... as long at they win. :)

All the best.

Go Bokke

My bet is for the Springboks, but let's see what the AB's do being the favourites.

Australia vs New Zealand... The final... But... France at home, why not...

I would love to see Australia take it this year but i don't think it will happen.. I am going to put my bet on New Zealand.

its highly likely that the AB's will play australia in the semi's again wouldn't it?

its highly likely that the AB's will play australia in the semi's again wouldn't it?
[/b]

Hmm yeah most likely i forgot about that.. :wacko:

I think its wider open now than at any other time, New Zealand still odds on but may still crumble but will France make the quarters?

On another note and am not spamming I work for a student website where we are along with the RFU Go Play Rugby campaign are attempting to put together the longest pass please take a look at this link and help us out if you can! There is a great prize http://www.yougofurther.co.uk/network/long...ss/default.aspx

Thanks

Emo

<div class='quotemain'>
will France make the quarters?
[/b]

Yeah i think they might do it. I hope so i would be good to see them make it.
[/b][/quote]

Of course they will do... Else it will be a big shame... At home with a lot of hopes... The Argentina was just because of the pressure... France are going to show a new face at the next match... I'm sure about that... Even with a complete new team (12 changes)... Allez les bleus !!!!!

Of course they will do... Else it will be a big shame... At home with a lot of hopes... The Argentina was just because of the pressure... France are going to show a new face at the next match... I'm sure about that... Even with a complete new team (12 changes)... Allez les bleus !!!!![/b]

Yeah, just like the five previous matches.

i am not sure this is a good question to post , because every one will say his national team, unless namibian or portugueses :D

As a french, i would say......... FRANCE ! lol

at the beginning of the world cup i had ireland on my list as well, but the way the games in their group went so far took them from the list so my pick:

NZ and SA are top favs
would not cut the french from my list yet

new zealand are obvious favorites, but i honestly think that Austrlia has a good chance of winning, based of form i would say south africa as well but i just don't think there record away from home works in there favour. Also at the start i was thinking there was a good chance that a european side may win with conditions suiting them and all, but so far i'd be suprised if a european team makes it past the the quaters with the groups all most likely being topped by soutern hemisophere sides and argentina. (europe mean UK aswell)

If I had to bet on it I would bet NZ vs Australia for the final match, but after watching the Boks match vs England I'm starting to think they will be some tough competition. O'course, I'm always hoping for a win for Ireland, but the southern hemi teams are just so bad ass this year = /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts