• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who'll win the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The favorite to win for me are the All Blacks...but they proved last weekend that they are not perfect and have a lot of work to do. It is going to be one hell of a world cup...I hope the Americans put up a good fight, but they have a big hill to climb in the pool they are in to get to the next round [/b]

It's hard to imagine "next round" in the RWC associated with the USA Eagles but at least I think they'll put up a good fight against Samoa.

I can't see England pass a more stronger South African side this year.

i think you underate the saffas remember this is an ordinary english team i know sa only came away 1-1 in the last proper series but sa left some players at home and haven't used their top team often this year. what puzzles me is how they seem to be two different teams one in south africa when they can beat anyone and another when they go to the nh or even nz/aus where they drop to the englishs level. i guess thinking about that i shouldn't write them but i kow sa should win. [/b]

Nah, I think you underestimate England. They could hold the Saffas, and it was only for a few minutes lapse in fitness and maybe concentration that leaked the Saffas all those points. Put in a better forward pack, that can match the Springboks, and the Springboks are screwed (if Wilkinson plays).
England don't really make entrerprising moves, so the Springboks can't count on intercept tries to win. Wilkinson showed on the tour that he's still got it. Just give him a decent forward pack. Add the fact that the Springboks aren't as strong away from home, and just like last year, England can pull off a surprise one off win.

tbh, i wouldn't be surprised if Steyn goes head to head with Wilkinson in a drop goal duel.

<div class='quotemain'> i think you underate the saffas remember this is an ordinary english team i know sa only came away 1-1 in the last proper series but sa left some players at home and haven't used their top team often this year. what puzzles me is how they seem to be two different teams one in south africa when they can beat anyone and another when they go to the nh or even nz/aus where they drop to the englishs level. i guess thinking about that i shouldn't write them but i kow sa should win. [/b]

Nah, I think you underestimate England. They could hold the Saffas, and it was only for a few minutes lapse in fitness and maybe concentration that leaked the Saffas all those points. Put in a better forward pack, that can match the Springboks, and the Springboks are screwed (if Wilkinson plays).
England don't really make entrerprising moves, so the Springboks can't count on intercept tries to win. Wilkinson showed on the tour that he's still got it. Just give him a decent forward pack. Add the fact that the Springboks aren't as strong away from home, and just like last year, England can pull off a surprise one off win.

tbh, i wouldn't be surprised if Steyn goes head to head with Wilkinson in a drop goal duel.

[/b][/quote] yeah and they will keep their concentration for a whole 80 mins without a single slip(i doubt it). having a better foward pack won't change a dodgy defence and i'm not talking just the sa engb team. south africa will b habana and he seems to make the whole backline more dangerous.

lmao, Habana is good, but I don't think he'll find any intercepts against the English. Also, the Springbok backline will hardly give him opportunities.

Sure they'll have a slip, but they won't leak as many points as the newbie forward pack that toured SA. They have a dodgy defence, but meh, it's not like SA can really test out that dodgy defence. SA will probably attack in their forwards, and that's something the English can defend against.

England do have a claim on the least watertight defense out of the say elite four of the NH, having haemorrhaged more points than we scored during the Six Nations just gone (more than even Wales which is quite an achievement).

And in that regard, I think the whole team is to blame in several areas. The backs need to shoulder some of the blame for being probably the most prone to turnovers out of the top ten and forwards need to shoulder the blame for being bossed at the break down, etc. It is much a cross team failure over the last 2 or 3 years.

It is being remedied I think and I've got some high hopes for this new look England pack.

lmao, Habana is good, but I don't think he'll find any intercepts against the English. Also, the Springbok backline will hardly give him opportunities.

Sure they'll have a slip, but they won't leak as many points as the newbie forward pack that toured SA. They have a dodgy defence, but meh, it's not like SA can really test out that dodgy defence. SA will probably attack in their forwards, and that's something the English can defend against. [/b]

He won't get a intercept because the English backline will not get decent ball to run down their backline.

Well, considering they're (England) good at 10 man rugby, I don't see why they'd have to give the ball to their backline :p

Well, considering they're (England) good at 10 man rugby, I don't see why they'd have to give the ball to their backline :p [/b]
you dismissed conceding 40 points as afew lapses which is ridiculous the south african b team played nz and aus and showed even they can tackle. if you honestly believe the south africans won't rip apart eng your in for a nasty surprise. habana didn't just score intercept trys he returned kicks for trys as well. maybe you stopped watching? if you think england won't kick plenty of ball to habana playing ten man rugby then i'd check into your nearest mental facility.

<div class='quotemain'> Well, considering they're (England) good at 10 man rugby, I don't see why they'd have to give the ball to their backline :p [/b]
you dismissed conceding 40 points as afew lapses which is ridiculous the south african b team played nz and aus and showed even they can tackle. if you honestly believe the south africans won't rip apart eng your in for a nasty surprise. habana didn't just score intercept trys he returned kicks for trys as well. maybe you stopped watching? if you think england won't kick plenty of ball to habana playing ten man rugby then i'd check into your nearest mental facility. [/b][/quote]

Yeah, Steyn and Habana can be lethal combining from deep. And if they can get the sharks 13, Waylon Murray, linking with Steyn as well then the SA backline will pose a serious threat to anyone.

But as it stands England know how to take SA, and if they put ornery, experienced ******** out on the pitch it has a good chance of working.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Well, considering they're (England) good at 10 man rugby, I don't see why they'd have to give the ball to their backline :p [/b]
you dismissed conceding 40 points as afew lapses which is ridiculous the south african b team played nz and aus and showed even they can tackle. if you honestly believe the south africans won't rip apart eng your in for a nasty surprise. habana didn't just score intercept trys he returned kicks for trys as well. maybe you stopped watching? if you think england won't kick plenty of ball to habana playing ten man rugby then i'd check into your nearest mental facility. [/b][/quote]

Yeah, Steyn and Habana can be lethal combining from deep. And if they can get the sharks 13, Waylon Murray, linking with Steyn as well then the SA backline will pose a serious threat to anyone.

But as it stands England know how to take SA, and if they put ornery, experienced ******** out on the pitch it has a good chance of working. [/b][/quote]

waylon murray didn't make the sa squad.

Still too hard to look past NZ but any of the big guns could win it.

<div class='quotemain'> Well, considering they're (England) good at 10 man rugby, I don't see why they'd have to give the ball to their backline :p [/b]

You're talking about B teams. B teams won't be playing at the RWC. Also, all you've shown is that the English team lack depth. Thats hardly news.

Look at the Springboks A team. They conceded 14 points against the All Blacks in the last few minutes in Durban. Thats pretty much due to fitness (which is why the Boks were rested).

If the A team can concede 14 points, in 5 minutes, imagine how many points an England B/C team will leak, especially with their lack of depth.

NZ won't win - too many Cantabrians in the team with there hick provincial attitudes

NZ is the favorite, but France has a chance.

France will win on a antologic Dominici try!

Even though I'm a kiwi - I think Oz will win it.
Too classy and a great big match attitude.
As I said before - if there were more Aucklanders in the team - we'd win

My heart says Ireland, but my head says the Kiwi's. They've been pretty much unstoppable this year, apart from a few losses in the Tri Nations. France will put in a solid performance on home soil. Can't see England getting any further than the quarters to be honest, they have a very young and inexperienced squad(minus a few exceptions Catt etc..) but it will be a good experience for them and I'm confident they will win the 6 nations in 2008. Being a London Irish fan, I was disappointed to see Shane Gerraghty omitted from the squad, as he has been a real gem for Irish this year alongside Catty and should be rewarded with a WC spot.
Anyway, rant over Ireland to win!!!

Exciting times for rugby. Especially with the snorefest that was the cricket world cup.

As has been said many times, all of the squads selected for the World Cup are made up of highly talented individuals. It comes down to belief. That fighting knowledge that your team can unite and win the close matches.

Match preparation will be the key ingredient for the All Blacks.

A lot of discussion has been made regarding "Melbourne has shown the All Blacks are in fact beatable". This really doesn't clarify anything. Of course New Zealand are beatable, the whole point of union is 15 on 15 on any field. Any team is beatable.

I imagine New Zealand's losses to South Africa in 2004, 05 and 06 will act as reminders of vulnerability against a "rushing defence", hopefully the management adapt to this more resourcefully and clearly than in the past.

Key roles within the team are now more defined. There is a lot of balance to the leadership within the team and we have now have and exciting balance of experience and vitality in key positions.

Finally, Melbourne hopefully acts as the catalyst for increased attention to match preparation. In Melbourne our head weren't in the right place.

Still as they say could be anyones tournament. Let's just hope the All Blacks think it's theres

carlosisgod123 Posted Jul 24 2007, 08:20 PM
Even though I'm a kiwi - I think Oz will win it.
Too classy and a great big match attitude.
As I said before - if there were more Aucklanders in the team - we'd win[/b]

i agree would like to see nz win but forsure aussie a good chance come big game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts