• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why dont people like Eddie Butler commentating?

They do that on five live but it gets interrupted by football scores but the Scots guy on the radio is far better than any of the television lot

Ian Robertson? If so, I couldn't agree more, I've been a massive fan for many years. To be fair to the TV mob, maybe they wouldn't annoy us quite so much if they had the more limited remit of a radio summariser.

That Butler "feast" thing on Scrum V was pretty dire. Why would they think we'd want to watch him chowing down on a load of greasy chicken...? If they'd been able to show some RWC clips it would've at least been more coherent. Seven deadly sins, yes very original......

I think Moore is very good. I often hear the accusation that he's biased towards England but I've never noticed - he's far more likely to slate them if anything.

Jiffy's the biased one - but I love him to bits.

Oh, and Jonny Wilkinson - I like him a lot and generally enjoy his punditry; but sometimes when answering a question he can start to wax a little too lyrical, prattle on, and ends up talking almost in riddles. Like he's an old Jedi knight or something...

Who is the Irish geezer that always commentates on Sky, I really like him :)?

I see that Brian (Mr moan face) Moore commentating Scotland game on Sat night, would prefer the John Beattie/David Sole Scottish commentary team.

Oh no. Is he?
Thats it, sound down and radio commentary for me...

Last edited:
Tuned In to watch France v Italy and after 25 minutes neither side have been mentioned other than in passing!!

God Wood and Nicholls are awful!! What do they do for the rest of the year?

Tuned In to watch France v Italy and after 25 minutes neither side have been mentioned other than in passing!!

God Wood and Nicholls are awful!! What do they do for the rest of the year?

I know they both very bias but they wheel them out every year with John "lets talk about Jonny Wilkinson" Inverdale and Sonia "lets ask a stupidly obvious question" Macwhatshername.

Macwhatshername.

That Lee Mackenzie or Sonia McLoughlin?

The former is the BBC F1 go to girl who needs a new job now they have lost the rights!!

Sonia has been around rugby for long time and was possibly the first woman involved in coverage....never really took to her but that maybe personal choice!

He means Sonia, with a history of asking utterly stupid questions or practically asking for a punch in the face. No-one's ever taken to her, and it's a mystery how she's held onto her job - though no mystery at all as to why she's not earned a promotion in 15 years

Lee's been very good, both at F1 and in rugby.

I can just about stand McLoughlin, although she does irritate me... not to anywhere near the extent that Eykyn does.

He means Sonia, with a history of asking utterly stupid questions or practically asking for a punch in the face. No-one's ever taken to her, and it's a mystery how she's held onto her job - though no mystery at all as to why she's not earned a promotion in 15 years

Lee's been very good, both at F1 and in rugby.

Bet her husband is a producer or something, remember her asking the French captain once "how does it feel knowing it was your missed tackle that cost you the grand Slam" Mr Ibanez was not a happy chap...

Bet her husband is a producer or something, remember her asking the French captain once "how does it feel knowing it was your missed tackle that cost you the grand Slam" Mr Ibanez was not a happy chap...

Haha......Sexist remark.....might be married to a woman!!!!!!

Haha......Sexist remark.....might be married to a woman!!!!!!

Yeah probably bet shes the Diversity coordinator of all Sports at the BBC.

Hence the reason you have a dozy bint on a rugby pitch asking stupid questions.

Last edited:
remember her asking the French captain once "how does it feel knowing it was your missed tackle that cost you the grand Slam" Mr Ibanez was not a happy chap...

Or to Martin Johnson "How do you think you can keep your job after this performance?"

I don't like Butler because he pontificates and is definitely anti-England - he would prefer anyone to win other than England. Having said that Moore gets on my nerves as well - he's always very much the ex pro 'in my day' it wa different type - - he's also biased in favour of England in that he clearly wants them to win, but paradoxically he is overly critical of their decision-making. Jonathan Davies is a whiney-voiced pain in the backside who unfortunately deserves his place due to his technical knowledge and perception (he wasn't a hooker lol). Best commentators were on Sky

I've got a lot of time for Brian Moore. He sees a situation for what it is and doesn't hold back with his comments - maybe even more so when it's his beloved England!
He brings a first hand knowledge and appreciation of forward play, particularly the front row, that no other commentators (except the excellent Sean Fitzpatrick) have.
Sadly, we won't have Butler and Moore for the England v Wales game, as I believe this match is on ITV.

Eddie Butler makes Stuart Barnes look good!

No one can make Stuart Barnes look good. I've got a lot of time for Will Greenwood's analysis though.

Latest posts