• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why is Saint-Andre's record so poor with France ?

I think that the problem could be the style of the French teams. They all like to base their game around a big forward pack and being able to out muscle every other team, but they aren't able to replicate this on the intl' level. Also I think that players like Basta are just bigged up to someone they aren't. Then you have a guy who can't select the players he wants.

But the league here has always been about forward dominance. French club rugby has always been about packs trying to outmuscle each other. This is not a new age style. But because Fra scored great tries thru their backs, some foreing pundits assumed this must be how every French club team plays...this is how myths are created I suppose.

My dad and grand dad always spoke about "winning the battle of the packs" which to them meant outmusclling the opposition to win the game. The Top 14 has not changed that. The talk that backs play gone out of the window in Top 14 in favour of forward battles is just raving BS.

I went to games at Agen in my teens when the great Sella wouldn't get a sniff of the ball because the Agen pack had decided they had a point to prove to the visiting pack.....that mindset is still here in Top 14 and in ProD2.

The reason why French backs suck blades now is because they have the worst backs coach in the country. Sella had nothing on an in-form Fofana. But they have persistently fielded the most fruitless pairs of centre all thru 2013-14 without ever waking up to the fact that Bastareau and Fofana can't play together.

All the work of Patrice Lagisquet. Muppet Coach 2.0

But the league here has always been about forward dominance. French club rugby has always been about packs trying to outmuscle each other. This is not a new age style. But because Fra scored great tries thru their backs, some foreing pundits assumed this must be how every French club team plays...this is how myths are created I suppose.

My dad and grand dad always spoke about "winning the battle of the packs" which to them meant outmusclling the opposition to win the game. The Top 14 has not changed that. The talk that backs play gone out of the window in Top 14 in favour of forward battles is just raving BS.

I went to games at Agen in my teens when the great Sella wouldn't get a sniff of the ball because the Agen pack had decided they had a point to prove to the visiting pack.....that mindset is still here in Top 14 and in ProD2.

The reason why French backs suck blades now is because they have the worst backs coach in the country. Sella had nothing on an in-form Fofana. But they have persistently fielded the most fruitless pairs of centre all thru 2013-14 without ever waking up to the fact that Bastareau and Fofana can't play together.

All the work of Patrice Lagisquet. Muppet Coach 2.0

Good post and totally agree especially with the last sentence...... The man who set BO on the road to destruction completed by his sponsor, Budda!!

So how can you explain your beloved fly half Sexton came back home saying he could not play for both Racing and Ireland because of the top 14 being to tiering ?

He is coming back HOME because he is getting far more money than the IRFU offered him before he left. And he is a 10 which isn't the most tiring position to play. As well as that he also spoke recently about being rotated at Racing with other players. Thats one of the myths you French and English like to keep talking about. Apparently your players play every game and are never rotated/rested. The Celts are fresh as daisys from being wrapped in cotton wool all year which is the only reason why they can beat you.

Saint-André has been reliable only in his selection inconsistency (due to his "in-form" players' selection policy) and in his numerous absurd choices (Talès still making the squad, Trinh-Duc being repeteadly snubbed...). His departure will be a very welcome one, I definitely hope that Ibanez will replace him and have France play some attractive and attacking rugby as he's had Bordeaux-Bègles brilliantly do.

I though Saint-Andres would be akin to the second coming... oh dear... instead he has rocketed the French backwards at a rate of knots Wellingtons riflemen would have been proud of...
It has been a bizarre tale so far. A few eye catching ups, all too few, and a number of resounding downs. Strange player choices and odd tactical strategies employed, almost naive at times.
It could all change for him this year... or be the end of the road.

I though Saint-Andres would be akin to the second coming... oh dear... instead he has rocketed the French backwards at a rate of knots Wellingtons riflemen would have been proud of...
It has been a bizarre tale so far. A few eye catching ups, all too few, and a number of resounding downs. Strange player choices and odd tactical strategies employed, almost naive at times.
It could all change for him this year... or be the end of the road.

Be the end of the road ... Yes, if only it had started one day !!!

Latest posts