• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why not a European Super League?

sigesige00

Bench Player
Under the current system, teams who participate in the Heineken Cup have to play both Heineken Cup games and domestic league games.
This is too much.
Is it impossible to create a European Super League of 14 teams (26 games), without joining domestic league?

Short answer is shouldn't be paticularly with backing of, say, Sky.

However, there are so many vested interests (non participating club owners, national federations, IRB for a start) that will work against it.

You are probably looking at players participating on basis they may never play for their countries again...bit like Packer cricket breakaway?

It could certainly ring the death knell for professional rugby in Scotland and Wales and possibly even Ireland.

It will also reduce the opportunities to play younger players with International potential and, therefore, potentially exclude the NH from ever being competitive with the SH.

Is it possible - yes! Is it desirable - NO!

Want another "Mungoball is better then Rugby thread"?

Why not Zoidberg?

I've missed you Sige. I think a Super League would fail miserably. Domestic league's are where player's are brought through the ranks and have a chance to prove their quality.

A Super League of 14 teams would be bad for European rugby. A Super League of 30-40 teams playing 20 or so games each with end of season playoffs would be great for the sport in my opinion.

Latest posts