• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why the shock of England exit?

It's funny to see all these people coming forward and saying how obvious it was that England wouldn't make it out of the group.
Pre-world cup you had a load of people saying we'd probably make the final (weren't we 2nd favourites, after the ABs, at the bookies?) or at the very least the semi-finals. England fans seemed way more pessimistic about our chances that fans from other countries.
General consensus seemed to be that Wales would be out, and it was really just a formality as to which of England/Aus would come 1st/2nd.

Yet now everyman and his dog have, apparently, been saying it all along.

I thought they'd get out of the pool stages but never thought they'd win the cup.

It's funny to see all these people coming forward and saying how obvious it was that England wouldn't make it out of the group.
Pre-world cup you had a load of people saying we'd probably make the final (weren't we 2nd favourites, after the ABs, at the bookies?) or at the very least the semi-finals. England fans seemed way more pessimistic about our chances that fans from other countries.
General consensus seemed to be that Wales would be out, and it was really just a formality as to which of England/Aus would come 1st/2nd.

Yet now everyman and his dog have, apparently, been saying it all along.

I wasn't one of them and I'll happily put my hand up and stick to what I said.
With the 3 injuries to Wales and home advantage at Fortress Twickenham I was predicting victory to England by 7-9 points.
25 minutes from the end my prediction was looking like i was going to be the new rugby oracle, then came the pre-ordained robotic substitutions followed by 'that' decision not to take the kick.
Wales were the winners but England threw that game away, they relinquished a handy lead and could have snatched a draw, possibly a win but too little too late..

Yeah, I was expecting England to progress - Semis at most, but more likely to be knocked out in the quarters.

Surprised, but not massively, to see us out in the groups. Tough group, and we've not got the coaches to handle such an environment.

Many thanks for your replies, you are all in similar agreement on the points. The specifics of each point are clear, but to put it into another context- the pre tournament hype on Englands prospects are are rather similar to Englands prospects in football. Only in Football there have been many more tournaments where England have failed expectation (World Cup and Euro), the fans are rather used to it.

One might be not too far wrong if they said that England dont do well under pressure in both Rugby and Football. They are great in qualification but when it really matters, they dont deliver against the big teams.

England 4th favourites to win Euro 2016- get your bets on:D

j

You forgot to mention their reckord ODI World Cups :p .

As a new member I ask this with genuine interest and would lke to hear members honest opinion on the forum.

Given Englands exit from the Worl Cup, the media response and general comments on the forum it seems to indicate a serious disbelief that this exit was possible. Is it not fair to say that England are only the 3rd best team in Europe given their perfomance in the 6 nations, in the last 10 years they have only won it once with Wales and Ireland having won it 3 times each. The loss against Wales should only be seen as a disapointment given the Welsh injury tally to important players?

J

England went into the summer having only lost once at Twickenham to Wales since 2009. We had beaten Australia at Twickenham the last two times they visited. Our record against both countries is over 50pc at home. We'd won 4 out of 5 games in the 6N and were 4th in the World Rankings, in front of both Ireland and Australia.

So yes it was a disappointment, and yes it was a surprise, and there was plenty of reason to think that.

It was less of a surprise by the time it happened, because everyone could see the disaster unfolding, but it was still a surprise outcome.

And as Olyy said, most of us English were more pessimistic than the non-English.

I originally had England/Wales as the progressers, given the home advantage and the end of the year tour results, also Aussie still felt a bit disorganized, but he's found a way to win with them, banking the performance and fitness of a few players, I think their strategy and depth is hollow and can't last the tournament, but you never known, given a generous run and the current form of certain teams on the day, Aussie could do it, outside chance for sure.

Not really. Australia, Wales and Fiji. Okay. That's not easy but it wouldn't be tough for a tier 1 nation.

Three threads (EDIT: FIVE threads) now on a team that is out of the RWC. I know it's an interestimng topic, but any chance we could combine the threads? They are all essentially about the same thing...

As for the answer - the first two posts have covered it. I would just add that England were 2nd favourites to win the RWC. By definition that is essentially a "shock" I would have thought. As far as I know it has not happened before either.

Well no, you're right it hasn't happened before. No host nation had ever gone out in the pool stages.

We finished second in the 6 nations having beaten Wales in Cardiff and France in Paris so don't know where the 3rd in Europe comes from but never mind.

To me it wasn't a shock just very disappointing. We have beaten Wales and Australia in recent meetings so we could have won the group but it was obvious the selection was starting to get muddled and our performance in the warm up games showed things were not functioning and England were dipping in form as the WC got closer so as much as I thought they would raise their game or the daft backline selections would work in the end it was obvious to everyone that it would end in disappointment. So shocked no, disappointed yes.

Ermmmmm... We beat France at Twickenham not Paris in this year's 6N.

Derp. I'm pretty sure that it was always going to end in tears for one tier one nation.

You would have to put Wales as the outside chance, especially since you were playing them at Twicks.

You would have to put Wales as the outside chance, especially since you were playing them at Twicks.

Given head to head form and an already depleted Welsh squad before the tournament started, indeed. As I said, it's remarkable how many people though England would miss out all along now that it has happened (not saying that nobody did)!

I didnt say they wouldnt make it out of the finals.
I hoped they wouldnt, after destroying our 2003 Fairytale Finish.

Yes we are crap at sport and cannot hack it blah blah

Why have you posted on here?

I think your a bit unfair to suggest England are crap at sport- or more importanty Rugby, but each to their own.

I am simply saying that they regularly underachieve, which is a shame because the squad selection they have in a number of sports should outshine most teams. Regularly coming second doesnt constitute a good team.

J

I think your a bit unfair to suggest England are crap at sport- or more importanty Rugby, but each to their own.

I am simply saying that they regularly underachieve, which is a shame because the squad selection they have in a number of sports should outshine most teams. Regularly coming second doesnt constitute a good team.

J

Underachieve compared to who?

Didnt make it out of the group stage in
Soccer
Cricket
Rugby

Some serious questions need to be asked.

Latest posts