• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why there are no international matchday breaks unlike Football?

sigesige00

Bench Player
It is the season of Six Nations.
What I do not understand is why there is no international matchday break for club competitions unlike Football. Could you explain the reason and history for the difference between Rugby and Football? :huh:

What I do not understand is why there is no international matchday break for club competitions unlike Football. Could you explain the reason and history for the difference between Rugby and Football? :huh:

Yeah one is a stupid game watched and played by over sensitive ******s and the other is Rugby.

You wanna know the difference between rugby and football?

I presume you mean Association football and not Rugby football as the latter and rugby are, of course, one and the same!

The basic tenet of Association Football is the use of the foot to propel the ball between players and eventually into a net being the only way to score!

Rugby, however, relies on the predominant use of the hands with only, unless you are Irish it is said, occasional use of said boot.

In rugby you can touch the ball down over a white line called a try line as that is what touching the ball down is called...a try!

You can also kick the ball over a bar, similar to the cross bar in an Association Football goal, after you have scored a try and this is called a conversion!

Or you can kick it over said bar after being awarded a penalty or by dropping it onto the ground and kicking it over said posts in general play and this is called a drop goal.

All these tries and kicks result in scores being added to the score board.

So there you have it.....how much more different can the two games be?

There should be breaks. Especially in rugby. Way too much rugby played nowadays, and the players could certainly use the break.

Last edited:
There should be breaks. Especially in rugby. Way too much rugby played nowadays, and the players could certainly use the break.

Agreed. Bodies are breaking down. Added to the intensity of the training and I'd argue that a break is needed.

To use the NFL as a comparison, there's usually a break of several months between the end of the season and the beginning of the next. Granted, its a very different sport and commercial setup, but the sentiment remains. Given that players' summers can be spent away on international tours, a winter break might well be prudent.

Would be interesting how this might be addressed if rugby were to ever follow league's summertime schedule.

Before rugby went professional, there used to be breaks for Internationals (certainly in Wales). Another difference in those "amateur" days was that all games were "friendlies" with no League systems in place.
Some games were played on a Five Nations day, but these were generally in the morning so that the players could watch the Internationals after. Some of these games were arranged as "friendlies" between teams from the countries involved. My mother's home village (from Wales) played a Scottish team every year and still do.
Once Leagues were introduced, the amount of games involved meant that League games had to be played on International days. Others will say what happens in their countries, but in Wales, the lower (still "amateur") leagues don't play a League game on International days unless they have to rearrange fixtures. Again, these games are played early to enable everyone to watch the International.
This was not the case during the World Cup, when League fixtures went ahead as usual, but again, the teams had early kick offs.
To add to a point made above, a Welsh International played something like 45-50 games in one season (and would go on s summer tour) which prompted the WRU to look at dual contracts to "manage" players and the amount they played.

Well this only happens in the NH rugby season. In the SH, we do have a clear breaks between domestic and international rugby, and no domestic rugby at elite level is played on the weekends while internationals are being played.

I have never been able to understand why rugby in Europe is organized in such a scatter-gun way; rounds of the major international championship spread out through the latter part of the individual domestic season with the European competitions dotted either side throughout the season. Why not organise it in blocks something like this;

30 weeks - 1st weekend of August to the last weekend of February - Top 14, Pro-D2
26 weeks - 1st weekend of September to last weekend of February - AP, Pro12
Last weekend in February - All finals

1 week - 1st weekend in March - 1 week break

5 weeks - 2nd weekend in March to 2nd weekend in April - 6 Nations

1 week - 3rd weekend in April - 1 week break

9 weeks - last weekend in April to 3rd weekend in June - ECC, RCC

Well this only happens in the NH rugby season. In the SH, we do have a clear breaks between domestic and international rugby, and no domestic rugby at elite level is played on the weekends while internationals are being played.

I have never been able to understand why rugby in Europe is organized in such a scatter-gun way; rounds of the major international championship spread out through the latter part of the individual domestic season with the European competitions dotted either side throughout the season. Why not organise it in blocks something like this;

30 weeks - 1st weekend of August to the last weekend of February - Top 14, Pro-D2
26 weeks - 1st weekend of September to last weekend of February - AP, Pro12
Last weekend in February - All finals

1 week - 1st weekend in March - 1 week break

5 weeks - 2nd weekend in March to 2nd weekend in April - 6 Nations

1 week - 3rd weekend in April - 1 week break

9 weeks - last weekend in April to 3rd weekend in June - ECC, RCC
It's adopted from European soccer. The best format for soccer does not correlate to rugby. I'd prefer a continental super league with three divisions or something.

Personally i prefer having international match-day breaks.

Means it will give opportunities to players who wont regularly get the chance to play due to competition in there positions.

The Rugby Championship and Six Nations must not be held in the years when World Cup is held.

The Rugby Championship and Six Nations must not be held in the years when World Cup is held.

Three words...

"It"

"won't"

"happen"

At least, not unless WR is prepared to compensate the 10 unions involved for a colossal loss of revenue!

Unbelievable!

Please understand that in the NH the clubs are in control of the players and are financial entities in their own right.

The pitch is not the level one that the SH plays on and nothing will change until the French and English Unions cough up and buy the clubs out which, I hope, will never happen!!

It's really just France where that's the case entirely... The EPS payments are huge.

Latest posts