• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will full 15-man rugby ever be an olympic sport?

ruckin

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
I'm real excited about 7s being in the upcoming olympics, since it's better than no rugby at all, but is it realistic to think that 15s will ever be in the olympics? The only big obstacle that I can think of is the amount of time needed between matches.

Thoughts?

I'm real excited about 7s being in the upcoming olympics, since it's better than no rugby at all, but is it realistic to think that 15s will ever be in the olympics? The only big obstacle that I can think of is the amount of time needed between matches.

Thoughts?

I don't think it fits the Olympics - much like it being pretty pointless having soccer in there. Soccer has the benefit of being able to be played without much turn-around due to its low contact nature (read: game for pussies), so they can do it, but it shouldn't be there given how much other international stuff they have.

Rugby doesn't need to be in the Olympics in its full XV a side form - having the 7s is enough and is a better fit to the format of the Olympics frankly.

Yeah good point, I guess with the RWC every 4 years, having it in the olympics every 4 years also would be a bit overkill.

Speaking of which, I'm stoked for the RWC this fall :D

No for all the reasons listed above, plus....

If you look at the entry criteria for new Olympic sports (sorry, I can't be bothered to look them up to quote them, so I'm working from memory), they are pretty exacting. I imagine the World Rugby could make changes to satisfy most criteria, but the big stumbling block is that unlike sevens, XVs lacks the worldwide participation that the IOC look for. I suspect that they may also look for gender equality in participation - an area where rugby in general falls down pretty badly.

IIRC, you need to finish the tournament in two weeks. There's just no way for 15s to manage to do that. That was one of the main reasons they chose 7s. 15s tournaments take far too long for the Olympics.

Good points.

I never knew that the olympic tournaments had to start and finish in 2 weeks. That's interesting.

For fear of pedantry, you've got a bit more than two weeks - soccerball matches are played a day or two before the opening ceremony, but either way, you wouldn't have enough time to play a rugby tournament.

I don't think it fits the Olympics - much like it being pretty pointless having soccer in there.

My Belief is soccer was put in due to its global appeal and it would bring a new audience to the games.

Soccer [...](read: game for pussies)

futurama-fry-should-i-lol-or-roflmao.jpg

The beauty of 7s is you can play it all in 2 days in the main stadium and be done and dusted in time for the track and field to start. Soccer has to be played away from the main Olympic stadium in other facilities and the crowds tend to be pants, the same would happen in 15's.

Soccer has to be played away from the main Olympic stadium in other facilities and the crowds tend to be pants, the same would happen in 15's.

In all honesty football should be taken out of the Olympics since it isn't a prize to them, it also wastes a spot that could be used for a worthy Olympic sport.

7s is perfect for the Olympics and should replace the WC 7s in all honesty. 15s will not, and should not be in the Olympics. 15s has also created a major event with the RWC that needs to stay the sport's major world event. Not to mention 15s would be a pain in the Olympics due to the scheduling required for the safety of the athletes, with the rest between matches.

Latest posts