Winning Top 14 bigger than H Cup - even O'Gara says so

FrenchFan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulouse
O'Gara is coming of age and finally waking up to what the Top14 truly is - even he now says its bigger than the H Cup!

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-1...lus-grand-que-la-h-cup_sto4233905/story.shtml

"Honestly, when I came here, the leading competition for me was the HCup. I have come to realise that the Bouclier de Brennus (Shield awarded to winner of French league) is much bigger than the H Cup. You have to live here to understand....." etc

Last edited:
We have all been saying that for years but now some Irish God like person has repeated it, this may open up and change a few peoples thinking.. and if it does not, we still have the best competitive club competition in the world ........... Lucky Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meh, RO'G has been saying what a farce of a competition the Top 14 and that the standard and preparation inferior to the Irish provinces on RTE, he plays to the crowds obviously...

I suspose when you get knocked out in the pool stages you do want to big up what you've got left. The irish media are doing it to the Rabo now and they did it to the almin last year.

I suspose when you get knocked out in the pool stages you do want to big up what you've got left. The irish media are doing it to the Rabo now and they did it to the almin last year.

Exactly, he's a coach of a team not involved in the top 14, if he was with Toulon he'd say different. Not a great article to be honest, he said a great deal of nothing.

inferior to the Irish provinces?? ah ah ah

is that why there's no irish province again this year in the final..

The Nile isn't just flowing in Egypt, its going right thru Ireland as well...

It's what he said?! You used one of his quotes to say 'De French iz de best evn do are nashunal teem is de ****tz' and I reply with a quote of his in Ireland where he said the French sides aren't all that impressive.

****ing hell you're the sort of guy who'd argue that your mum has a better rack than Jennifer Lawrence.

The top 14 is bigger in France alright. Outside of France (ie the rest of the world) the heineken cup is much bigger. So its basically French vs World...

Because Munster and Ulster had rotten luck. If Munster got a home draw against Toulon they would have likely won. If Payne didn't get the red (which we all admit was unluckly whether deserved or not) then Ulster would likely be in the final.

Munster have played French teams 7 times in the HEC semi finals and 7 times Munster have been drawn away!!! And the French complain about Dublin based ERC conspiracies

I think the 'French clubs don't train as hard as clubs from other countries' thing can comfortably put to sleep now. I know for a fact all the way til about the mid-2000's, the French national team was quite behind the English one for instance. But pulling that argument out now, about the Top 14 is a bit far-fetched...the Top 14 is the most intense league in the world atm:
teams and players play more games than anywhere else, certainly more than Rabo, and there aren't easy-as-shhit games in the Top 14. Besides facing Biarritz this year, even Perpignan was strong until the injuries and Oyonnax (third worse) is one HECK of a team esp. at home. We don't have Italian teams or utterly uncompetitive Welsh teams in our league. In stead of those, we have Grenoble, Bordeaux-Begles, Brive and Paris.
Teams are in constant peril of either not making the playoffs finishing a top 6 seed (like Paris right now although they're one heck of a side) - or actually being relegated and losing their capital in the salary cap and having to give away their stars and regressing back into another wild league with big teams and a rough season to prepare and live through.

I don't think with those elements, it's possible to pull out that old card, that the Top14 is behind in their fitness. It wasn't fitness that saw Toulouse get crushed in Munster, or Clermont in London. And when you see how certain sides consider Amlin as an utter joke (like Paris) or even the H Cup completely secondary, you understand the priority is largely on the Top 14 season. Teams can't play on both sides, even a strong, deep Castres or Montpellier side can't do it. The Top 14 has really become too big for its actors to think of anything else but itself.
In fact, it's become so big it's not just more important than the H Cup, it's more important than national duty ! :p but that's something else...

So yes, even without being on-the-spot or having talked to that many 'inside' individuals, I do think the Bouclier de Brennus is the priority over those European competitions as a whole, yes. Only the Top 2 or Top 3 teams in our league can claim or have the grandeur to actually contest hard on both sides of the season. Toulon won it last year, and they want to make history and get both the H Cup and the Bouclier. Which would be a ridiculous feat, even for the "army of mercenaries" yadi yada that they are :rolleyes:

Now, is the Top 14 HARDER than the H Cup ? Many things can be said, and it'll vex the Irish folks because it demeans their presence in the H Cup and all...but objectively the conversation can be posed. The fact that it's just pools and then the playoffs immediately...but I think there's one big difficulty in the H Cup, it's the fact that teams don't know each other that well and the element of surprise that brings. Top 14 sides know each other well, it's a closed circuit. But here for e.g., Clermont go to London and face the Saracens. That adds a challenge for sure.

I think it's a tougher competition attritionally than the H Cup for the French, i think the H cup is a bigger competition to win.

they are just very different competitions so don't see the point in comparing.

I think it's a tougher competition attritionally than the H Cup for the French, i think the H cup is a bigger competition to win.

they are just very different competitions so don't see the point in comparing.

Obviously to make sure everybody knows how vastly superior french rugby is.

oh wait

_73608946_oconnellpa.jpg

Lads change the ****ing record. You French boys are the only ones who constantly feel the need to justify how good your league is. Why do you care so much what we think? No one cares. No one has ever called the league ****, but if you don't mind I'll say the H-Cup is a better tournament and be done with it. It's a matter of entertainment value that I care about.
I honestly couldn't care what ROG says about the tournament. He works for a nothing side who for a number of years will have only the Top 14 to compete in if they continue on this form. Play to the crowd. Here in Ireland he hypes the Heino above anything.

Ok if Racing are like what u say a nonentity of a club (and Im no Racing fan), why did Sexton & O'Gara chose Racing over their provinces?

Other than money, i can't see any other reason as they're not even in a rugby region nor town. I mean both could have signed for any of our great rugby clubs.

does that make them mercenaries as well? where is the difference with the Toulon crowd then?

Meh, RO'G has been saying what a farce of a competition the Top 14 and that the standard and preparation inferior to the Irish provinces on RTE, he plays to the crowds obviously...

...and he causes yet another storm in a tea cup!!

Everyone is entitled to their own views and ranting and raving or even setting forward a decent argument is highly unlikely to change those views so why bother chaps!! There is no definitive answer as it is just personal opinion...........!!

Lads change the ****ing record. You French boys are the only ones who constantly feel the need to justify how good your league is. Why do you care so much what we think? No one cares. No one has ever called the league ****, but if you don't mind I'll say the H-Cup is a better tournament and be done with it. It's a matter of entertainment value that I care about.
I honestly couldn't care what ROG says about the tournament. He works for a nothing side who for a number of years will have only the Top 14 to compete in if they continue on this form. Play to the crowd. Here in Ireland he hypes the Heino above anything.

actually that's a generalization. FrenchFan made this thread, I didn't nor did any other "French boys". In fact, there aren't a whole lot on this website if you've noticed, because they generally settle for their Top 14 and xv de France don't mean to talk about it everywhere.

And given the number of responses from Irish people on this thread, I do think indeed, yes, it is actually a very current topic that some hold to heart a whole lot. And speaking of shoving in people's faces, a bit of a caricature but there's already two users who've posted Ireland holding the latest 6N trophy :p

If you don't care what ROG says, then don't click this thread - logical, no ? It says it in the very ***le...

I'd rather someone answered the points I've made, and we'd have a discussion about the topic, not a discussion about the discussion (and random pictures of ppl and their trophies...) :D

...and he causes yet another storm in a tea cup!!

Everyone is entitled to their own views and ranting and raving or even setting forward a decent argument is highly unlikely to change those views so why bother chaps!! There is no definitive answer as it is just personal opinion...........!!

lel, I was quoting O'Gara, does that not infiltrate your ignorant gallic skulls? He gives one side of the story in an attempt to 'prove' how superior French sides are but in saying this O'Gara has contradicted what he said on Irish television, literally the only point I've made on this thread. It wasn't a quote from me, like Frenchfan took it, I tried to relay this by him and he started to call me gay, mainly because he is a complete window licker and doesn't understand sarcasm or satire.

Latest posts