• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wishlist

This is a great game for a first in a what will hopefully be a series, wishlist for number 2 or next year:

3D Match engine:

- The camera angle, keep this one, but it's quite hard to watch from, would it be possible to have a side angle and an angle looking up the pitch.
- Obviously improvements to the physics of the game, i.e. the 10/12 switch is too effective.

Tactics:

- Now obviously every team has their own moves, whether it's in the backs or the line-outs, and these are included in the game. Let's add more!

Attrition:

- Remove this, not keen on this feature at all, doesn't add to the game at all.

- Make the game last forever!
- Have the option to choose between CM/feet and KG/stones

Do you mean remove the 15 season limit? Attritional rugby is slow paced rugby where neither side gains much territory. This is common for periods in most rugby matches but isn't reflected in the game. Perhaps you meant something different, not attrition?

Definitely agree with the physics of the match engine needing a few tweaks etc. Hopefully this will happen in an update.

I agree with the previous messages.

Thanks for this effort, you just have to improve some basically point in management game :

- an "all-around options" with right click on a player (stats / contract / history /ID / etc...)
- a filter in order to have some specifics view of roster team (by position, by stats, etc...)
- More stats during the game. We need to know stats of possession, number of phases, tackles, passes, kicks, etc... to make change tactical change or substitutions
- More links between the differents parts of the club & the daily informations. Ex : a pop up explain the squad is not conform to the league rules ==> give me a link to this rules table.

Overall, you have to link all the informations in order to have a better & easier user interface.

The wishlist thread is interesting for someone who has not bought the game.

In addition to many of the things above, I think it would be nice to have a box to tick in the editor for players who are retired from Internationals but who still play for clubs?

Hi Dave

I was having a good think last night about RUTM and the editor then had a look at what features the football manager game and editor has and thought there are a few features that would be a good edition to RUTM and editor.

FOR THE GAME:

CLUB RIVALRIES - GLOUCESTER v BATH is known as THE WEST COUNTRY DERBY.
MORE TEAM TALK OPTIONS - Talk to as a team or individuals and what you say can have an effect on morel.
COMMENTARY BAR - More commentary on what is going on during the game.
PLAYER MATCH RATING - Have a match rating next to player fitness so its easier to see if they are having a good or bad game.
MEDIA QUESTIONS - Before and after match questions from the media. That can also have an effect on morel (on and off the pitch).
PLAYER HAPPINESS AT CLUB - Reason's why players are happy or unhappy (training schedule, not playing, club's league position ect).
SET-PIECE CREATOR - Create your own set-piece's.
MORE REAL LIFE COACHES - Real coaches names.

EDITOR:

COMPETITION CREATOR - Create your own leagues or cups (domestic, European or world).
EDIT EXISTING COMPETITIONS - Amount of teams in competition, Promotion or relegation optional and how many teams go up and down. Create your own fixtures. If you create a new competition you have the choice to replace existing competition. eg Euro tier 1 (you have created) by changing number of groups or something it can replace existing Euro tier 1 by deactivating it.
PLAYER CREATOR AND EDIT EXISTING PLAYERS - Create players and edit existing players, with the option of being able to play in Super 15 and ITM Cup and swap players from team to team without have to duplicate a player.
TEAM CREATOR AND EDIT EXISTING TEAMS - Edit things like club finances, reputation ect.

I know its a lot but its things like this that makes Football Manager the massive success it is today and things like this could really make RUTM as popular as Football Manger

Nice suggestions Derek - I like all of them as a big fan of FM. :) I'd also like to see more rugby detail within matches, more tactical elements to control etc. I really hope this game does develop over the year with a new release every year also.

I can see it being a massive success and have a release every year. The updates are very good and the best thing is the developers read what you say and they correct it straight away. That is the difference between RUTM and Pro rugby manager. Its great to know the developers take the game players views into account so hopefully with suggestions from us they will add some of our ideas into the game to. Great work from the production team one very happy gamer.

RUTM is totally different to PRM you are right and the participation of Dave is yet another example of this difference.

The only neg is the way the editor was presented before the game was released:

Hi Jeff
There is a fully customised game editor, which I am sure you will find fits the bill.

A number of posts now have been about the editor and I don't think it does allow for customisation.

Hi Dave,

how come when the game was advertised it said
•Fully customised editor Utilise the game editor to create your own teams, players, leagues and competitions for a fully customised experience.

All you can do on the editor is edit names and attributes, you can't create teams, players or comps etc?

I think though that other than this the game is excellent and the balance of infringements in matches etc will only improve as has already been the case.

I'd like the All Blacks and Springboks to be better as I've noticed England, France and Ireland tend to emerge with better players from about season 6.

With the last update about penalties, game becomes great even if the french translation on penalties is not really correct. If I can help about that.

Another thing I would like to have on the game is more statistics on the game report like tackles made/missed (we only have made tackles and don't know if a player has missed more tackles than made) or pass competed/missed.
Maybe it may be great that we could find those statistics on the player page (where we can already find the player evaluation for the last games he plays) to have the statistics of all the game the player has played.

Another thing that may be modified is the "price" of a player on the transfert market. Indeed, players with 80 backs overall abilities is the same price than players with 65. A "professionnal" player with 75 overall abilities can be cheaper than a national player with 65. It's pretty cool on the game to better my team but I don't think it's a normal situation and it's realistic.

Maybe the player's price may be calculated on his age and the sum of his abilities.

Thanks to read and take care of the player's feedback, it's really a great way to better RUTM.

I Hope everything i've told it's clear, my english is pretty poor, I apologize about it.

Last edited:
Another thing I would like to have on the game is more statistics on the game report like tackles made/missed (we only have made tackles and don't know if a player has missed more tackles than made) or pass competed/missed.
Maybe it may be great that we could find those statistics on the player page (where we can already find the player evaluation for the last games he plays) to have the statistics of all the game the player has played.

Another thing that may be modified is the "price" of a player on the transfert market. Indeed, players with 80 backs overall abilities is the same price than players with 65. A "professionnal" player with 75 overall abilities can be cheaper than a national player with 65. It's pretty cool on the game to better my team but I don't think it's a normal situation and it's realistic.

Maybe the player's price may have to be calculated on his age and the sum of his abilities.

I agree with these suggestions Clem. Hope this thread is of interest to Dave and colleagues. Love all these ideas.

Online head to heads would be cool (edited databases would have to be exempt though I guess?)

So here is my wishlist after 50hours of play with Munster...obviously haha

1) Better Editor - I want to edit; League structures, Club rosters, Club badges, Fixture dates and more

2) Set-piece Editor - Create my own moves so I can cater for the type of players I might have ie big centers or not, Big wingers or not. And catch and
drive!

3) Full Screen - I want to be able to make the pitch full screen during matches

4) Shortcut Buttons - Shortcut buttons for moves during matches as well as for jumping from screen to screen during management.

5) NEWS/MEDIA - There is no news at all in any form. Id like to see real newspapers, TV channels and reporters names! They would be easy to get if they
could advertise in the game!!

6) ENDLESS - For me this game MUST be an endless game, 15 seasons is just annoying, I presume they are sorting this out anyway.

7) Licences - If SANZAR wont give them to us then let us create them ie Club badges, name corrections etc etc Ive already edited S15 but dont know
what to do to share it with everybody else.

8) RATING SYSTEM - We need a better way of rating players, maybe community led? Tevita Li, Charles Pitau, Jock Conan, Rob Evans, Liam Williams all
these players are nowhere near as good as they should be. ALL stars and overall ratings need to be removed!! Highlight international
players at all levels and leave it at that. All I want to see are there stats for each attribute, then I can make the decision as to
weather the player is good enough or not.

9) Potential - We shouldnt know who is world class and who is not. Half the fun is thinking you have the next Jonah Lomu or being the winning
underdog. The computer shouldn't tell me if a colt player has the potential to develop further. All I do now is keep sacking the bad ones
and recruit more hoping for better.

10) Facilities - Stadium; I want to be able to make my stadium 80,000/100,000 and I want to know the capacity. Thomond Park cost â'¬40m not â'¬10m. And we have 2!!
Academy; I know Leinster has a better academy than Munster and I know Auckland has an even better academy again, this is not
reflected in the game.
Center of Excellence; I like this idea but I dont like the limits it imposes. Whats the point of the salary cap if this is stopping me?

11) Academy - The NZRU, IRFU, ARU, WRU, SRU and the SARU all have a different structure to that of France and England in reality, I would love to see
this reflected in game also. Not the player management system but the youth structures that produce great great talent.

12) Finances - For those of us familiar with football manager you will know not much can be done to the finances but you can see the effect a winning
team has on them. Copy that! Also be able to hire a Chief executive!! And give them difference specialties ie +Branding, +Attendances,
+Efficiency etc etc or even a combo?

13) Training - I would like to see a better training window. I want to be able to rest players, concentrate of set piece, ball skills, weights etc but I want to
choose who
does what and when. And I do NOT want to REPEATEDLY assign players to coaches!! This is very annoying and mundane!!!!!!!

14) SALARY? - Since when does the coach and the best play in the world get the same wage??? NEVER.

15) SUGGESTIONS - At the end of ever season how about suggestions for expansion?? Instead of having promotion and relegation in a league where it
doesnt exist how about the computer suggests to add teams to a league. So Six Nations can become 7 or Super 15 can be 16, 17
and so on? This way you can also add in the USA, a massive market itself for gaming!! But only as many teams as the season will
allow for!!

Every club sits on the board of there league, there is no mention of this for all the attention it gets in real life.

Rugby is growing very fast and this game must also be able to reflect that. It will need to be able to see way into the future in that it will have to remain some what accurate in 10/20years of game play and also allow us to dream a little. I have wanted a game like this for over 10years and so far so good!!! :):):)

Hi Damo,
Many thanks for your post .
You obviously care about the game,and your suggestions are very much appreciated , we shall certainly be considering them.
Really pleased that you are enjoying RUTM.

Kind Regards
Dave
So here is my wishlist after 50hours of play with Munster...obviously haha

1) Better Editor - I want to edit; League structures, Club rosters, Club badges, Fixture dates and more

2) Set-piece Editor - Create my own moves so I can cater for the type of players I might have ie big centers or not, Big wingers or not. And catch and
drive!

3) Full Screen - I want to be able to make the pitch full screen during matches

4) Shortcut Buttons - Shortcut buttons for moves during matches as well as for jumping from screen to screen during management.

5) NEWS/MEDIA - There is no news at all in any form. Id like to see real newspapers, TV channels and reporters names! They would be easy to get if they
could advertise in the game!!

6) ENDLESS - For me this game MUST be an endless game, 15 seasons is just annoying, I presume they are sorting this out anyway.

7) Licences - If SANZAR wont give them to us then let us create them ie Club badges, name corrections etc etc Ive already edited S15 but dont know
what to do to share it with everybody else.

8) RATING SYSTEM - We need a better way of rating players, maybe community led? Tevita Li, Charles Pitau, Jock Conan, Rob Evans, Liam Williams all
these players are nowhere near as good as they should be. ALL stars and overall ratings need to be removed!! Highlight international
players at all levels and leave it at that. All I want to see are there stats for each attribute, then I can make the decision as to
weather the player is good enough or not.

9) Potential - We shouldnt know who is world class and who is not. Half the fun is thinking you have the next Jonah Lomu or being the winning
underdog. The computer shouldn't tell me if a colt player has the potential to develop further. All I do now is keep sacking the bad ones
and recruit more hoping for better.

10) Facilities - Stadium; I want to be able to make my stadium 80,000/100,000 and I want to know the capacity. Thomond Park cost â'¬40m not â'¬10m. And we have 2!!
Academy; I know Leinster has a better academy than Munster and I know Auckland has an even better academy again, this is not
reflected in the game.
Center of Excellence; I like this idea but I dont like the limits it imposes. Whats the point of the salary cap if this is stopping me?

11) Academy - The NZRU, IRFU, ARU, WRU, SRU and the SARU all have a different structure to that of France and England in reality, I would love to see
this reflected in game also. Not the player management system but the youth structures that produce great great talent.

12) Finances - For those of us familiar with football manager you will know not much can be done to the finances but you can see the effect a winning
team has on them. Copy that! Also be able to hire a Chief executive!! And give them difference specialties ie +Branding, +Attendances,
+Efficiency etc etc or even a combo?

13) Training - I would like to see a better training window. I want to be able to rest players, concentrate of set piece, ball skills, weights etc but I want to
choose who
does what and when. And I do NOT want to REPEATEDLY assign players to coaches!! This is very annoying and mundane!!!!!!!

14) SALARY? - Since when does the coach and the best play in the world get the same wage??? NEVER.

15) SUGGESTIONS - At the end of ever season how about suggestions for expansion?? Instead of having promotion and relegation in a league where it
doesnt exist how about the computer suggests to add teams to a league. So Six Nations can become 7 or Super 15 can be 16, 17
and so on? This way you can also add in the USA, a massive market itself for gaming!! But only as many teams as the season will
allow for!!

Every club sits on the board of there league, there is no mention of this for all the attention it gets in real life.

Rugby is growing very fast and this game must also be able to reflect that. It will need to be able to see way into the future in that it will have to remain some what accurate in 10/20years of game play and also allow us to dream a little. I have wanted a game like this for over 10years and so far so good!!! :):):)

As mentioned in other thread I think will wait on buying the game to see what happens with southern hemisphere, editor etc. It is nice to see that some game developers are actually caring about fans. Makes a chance! :)

Really enjoying the game having purchased a couple of weeks ago, and great to see some of the wishlist suggestions from a while ago have been considered and included in the current update.

A few more ideas I think could really improve the reality of the game, some small tweaks for any potential updates and some bigger changes similar to other user's suggestions probably for next year's anticipated version.

In match changes-
-Greater variety of kicks available-box, grubber etc. (and correcting the offside bugs other users have mentioned). I think it is unrealistic as a coach to be able to choose each kick in game, so maybe best by setting up areas as with attack and defence to use specific kick types. Also be good to set up before games whether kicks are generally aimed to touch to pressurize inferior lineouts, at a weak back 3 player with a chase, into space to force a kick return etc.
-Lineout defence similar pre-determined tactics to decide which areas of the pitch to compete to steal possession, areas to maybe compete with one pod whilst considering maul defence, then other areas to not compete and focus on preventing next attacks.
-In terms of picking general moves/patterns of play I would say it is unrealistic for the manager to dictate every phase off the cuff as in ad-lib mode, but I would not want very limited control by selecting the 'structured' option. My solution would be to have set patterns of play created/selected in the tactics screen before the game. For example you select and 'exit' strategy from the 22 where you kick straight away, or hit up once then kick infield with a chase. In the middle area of the pitch you use forward pods twice before going wide. Then in attacking zones pick a couple of chosen strike moves/tactics to use. As your coaching and technical area facilities improve you could then select multiple pre-selected patterns for each area and select them before the set-piece, rather than choosing individual moves.
-This makes the manager less involved during the 80 minutes but I feel this is realistic that the responsibility would go onto your playmakers in this stage. To make this work effectively I would suggest a sliding scale of 'structured'/'off the cuff' attack, where you are 100% structured and tell your playmakers to stick to the gameplan whatever they see in front of them, 50% when they can change the patterns if they see space in front of them e.g. grubber instead of kick long, run themselves instead of a wide move if the see space etc. Your playmakers stats would then dictate how successful these plans are.
-Video/tactical analysis would be a brilliant, if complex addition. Would be amazing if after each game you could pick, say, 3 key moments in a game (find the time and have a screenshot to 'show' players). Go back to each and say moment 1 this was a great option and led to us scoring. At moment 2 you chose to run when we had this overlap, next time look to pass. Depending if those players respond better to criticism/praise it could then help/hinder morale and future performances.
-The three buttons at the bottom left of the screen (sure kick, back maintain pace after linebreak, disruption) I am torn on. I find them brilliant fun to use but think if is pretty unrealistic. If you, for example, have a poor goalkicker with a stat of 40, just because the opposition has an even worse kicker does not mean you should be able to guarantee they will kick a touchline conversion in the last minute to win them game!
-I think weather conditions should play a significant effect on gameplay. In poor conditions less back orientated moves (make handling errors more common) should be less effective against forward orientated play with a good tactical kicking game. It would be good to have a balance of hard fought 3-0 wins and end to end 45-25 games which are more common.
-Other key areas like interceptions would be good to add. If a well organised blitz defence pressures a wide attacking move started with limited attacking platform an interception should be more likely. At the moment attackers almost pass through defenders sometimes with no effect.
-Breakdowns could be more dynamic by sliding scales for each of your positions-back row, half backs etc. of how likely they are to attempt a turnover at ruck/collapse an effective lineout maul etc. Repeat offenses should then lead to yellow cards.

Outside matches-
Unlimited seasons-As many other users have suggested the next version would be much better if you could play beyond the 15 season barrier.
-International management-I have just got past halfway in my first season managing in Wales Division 2 East. Things are going well but I was surprised to be offered the coaching position at all international teams, from Wales to New Zealand!? Surely this should be the pinnacle of the game and only achieved after winning promotions/multiple domestic ***les. I would much prefer to earn the chance to manage a nation than have it offered to me every year no matter how good my performance. These, along with domestic jobs should only be available of the previous coach has been sacked or out of contract. If a screen to show available jobs was made that players could apply for would be great!
-Position specific stats-I can't really understand why world class 10/12s have overall rating of high 90s, but world class tight heads or full backs are around 70. Surely you could weigh the stats up so if a prop have 95+ for set pieces this is the most important and dictates their overall score to a greater extent. Similarly full backs with catching high ball/running lines attributes which should be introduced. Then a world class player in any position would be 95+, international 90+ etc.
-Non-existent promotions-I think making Celtic/Super rugby league ring fenced with no promotion would be far better. It would fix issues with player duplication from regions/franchises to their clubs, introduce links between regions/clubs for loaning/permits etc. If players want the rags to riches story we could play in the English or French leagues, but the chance to take a side from tier 3/4/5 (hopefully introduced in future games) up to Welsh Prem/Southern Hemisphere national divisions is still significant, and if you could then be offered the job at a professional club thanks to those achievements would be rewarding and realistic.
-Finance-I would say these are far too easy in the game. In my 6 months in Wales Div 2 I have invested around £250 000 in infrastructure. I am playing on medium mode so I understand this may be a bit harder on 'hard' mode, but in real life clubs at this level struggle to maintain facilities/ let alone improve them and invest significantly in squads until they receive prize money from promotions etc.
-Colts-at the lower level I am unsure if I will get any influx of new young players next year? I think it is correct only top clubs have centre of excellence but all clubs should surely have colts, just the players they produce should reflect their level, facilities and coaching/scouting. At grass-roots/semi-pro colts are key to clubs developing, so to not have this talent brought through the system seems strange. Of course any top colts at smaller clubs could then be poached by higher achieving clubs, or even better the regions/franchises the club is linked with to add realism.
-Licensing-more real players/teams would be great but understand this has a cost.

The game is great, especially for the first version, interested to see what other people think of these ideas but I reckon some of them could take it up to Football Manager etc. levels!

Last edited:
I like most if not all of those in-game changes. Interceptions, weather, kick variety, video analysis also I have no idea what the numbers next to the players name in-match mean. All round tho I would just like to see more tactics and more variety. and yes, eventually up to football manager levels. If somebody wants to play a more basic game then how about different levels of detail? I also dont think there should be a "easy - medium- hard". Hard is defo the level to play at, very challenging.

I dont agree with the colts tho, no pro teams have colts having looked. Most 1st team squads at 45 players, I do agree with the academies, all country's have them but not all clubs.

I quite like the idea of Colts even though it might not reflect reality in every situation.

I would like a new match engine the structures are in place and the depth is there but now a better match engine is needed we are in 2015

Well they have to start somewhere John. I agree though that the engine could definitely be improved and am sure it will be.

What team do you support out of interest?

The game is great yes love it .. all i am saying is with a better match engine it can really be awesome but i also think they should have a look at a interface like football manager 14 and i support the Sharks in SA

Latest posts