• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Breakfast Club

What is essential for a rugby-watching breakfast?

• Total voters

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
With the RWC in Japan, most matches are at Breakfast time for Europe and South Africa.
So what makes a Rugby-Watching breakfast? Poll is limited to 10 options :(
Feel free to add details in posts

Personally...
Bacon (grilled)
Sausage (oven)
Beans
Eggs - scrambled, over-yolked
Hash-brown / Potato Waffle - Fried potato is also good, but I can never be bothered
Fried bread - baguette, fried in bacon dripping

Cuppa tea (beer is just wrong with breakfast, even when it's an evening meal)

Last edited:
Hash browns, toast and tea with my bacon, sausage, beans and egg.

Now usually beans would be in the equation for a big breakfast but nope making an epic breakfast sandwich!

Had this the other day it was epic:
4 sausages
4 rashers of bacon
4 hashbrown
All in a sandwich with toasted bread and real butter.

Out of the options I went Sausage, egg and mushrooms... with toast as far as the available selections but ideally in a buttered sub, with chilli sauce

Also, not on the options here but during the last Lions tour, the misses and I had our parents around to watch the tests (also during the morning) and for those three games we had kippers, scrambled eggs and tinned tomatoes on toast... could go for that again during the world cup actually.

Out of the options I went Sausage, egg and mushrooms... with toast as far as the available selections but ideally in a buttered sub, with chilli sauce

Also, not on the options here but during the last Lions tour, the misses and I had our parents around to watch the tests (also during the morning) and for those three games we had kippers, scrambled eggs and tinned tomatoes on toast... could go for that again during the world cup actually.
You could consider salmon to count for kippers - I can't edit the poll options though I'm afraid

Now usually beans would be in the equation for a big breakfast but nope making an epic breakfast sandwich!

Had this the other day it was epic:
4 sausages
4 rashers of bacon
4 hashbrown
All in a sandwich with toasted bread and real butter.
Man vs Food!

Eggs, sausages, black and white pudding, rashers, waffles and Barry's tea if I really want to go the full haul.

Sausages fried, back bacon grilled. Sausages are the most important part, quality butcher's sausages ideally.

More meat - black pudding is great, but haggis is even better, I hate admitting it but that's something our Scottish friends got right. Then my Dad's special stroke of genius - fried kidneys. That's what elevates a fry up to something special.

Scrambled eggs and fried tomatoes (I mean PROPERLY fried, basically to mush, none of this singed on the outside hard in the middle crap you get in most cafés), plus more meat.

Smoked salmon and scrambled egg's always good, so's Eggs Benedict.

But for a rugby breakfast it's got to be a proper fry up. Sausage, bacon, fried egg, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried bread. All washed down with a pint.
Oh yes... tea is very important!
Not to me it's not. Stuff's vile. I eat and drink most things, but the sheer smell of tea makes me feel sick. I know I'm in a massive minority, so I won't even bother trying to fight my corner.

To change it up I will have a Dim sum breakfast, especially if the game is on Sunday and around 11am UK time and I'm around a dim sum restaurant near me. I can always watch the game over 4G. Prawn Cheung fun, har Kau, Siu Mai dumplings, Siu long bao soup dumplings are among my favourites. Yum!!!!

Scrambled eggs made with creme freche and topped with ground black pepper
Bacon
Sausage
Baked beans
Thick sour dough toast with Irish or Danish butter
Hash brown
Brown sauce

Cup of Yorkshire or Typhoo tea

**Bruce ma Goose where are you? Let us know your thoughts...

Last edited:
Well here in South Africa we have a few different ways of making breakfast. You all know we love to braai, and most meaty things on the list will be braai'd for breakfast.

But depending on your budget & the amount of people joining your breakfast club, here are some things we do:

Breakfast Potjie - consisting of thinly sliced lamb shanks, sausage, bacon, and riblets, cooked in a cast iron pot with a sticky barbeque sauce, then dish up with a side of eggs and freshly baked Potbread.

Biltong and Pap - Biltong (either shaved, diced of chunks) with some slappap (maize porridge).

Breakfast Sosaties - a skewer/kebab with sausage, wrapped in bacon with cherries, on the braai served with bread and eggs and fruit.

There's so many options around... it's hard to narrow it down.

Oh and before I forget, The previous night's braaivleis make awesome breakfast leftovers...

Those Sosaties sound good. I hadnt thought of a barbie but with the indian summer we are supposed to be getting in the UK it could be a good option

Latest posts