• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Breakfast Club

What is essential for a rugby-watching breakfast?

• Total voters
Well here in South Africa we have a few different ways of making breakfast. You all know we love to braai, and most meaty things on the list will be braai'd for breakfast.

But depending on your budget & the amount of people joining your breakfast club, here are some things we do:

Breakfast Potjie - consisting of thinly sliced lamb shanks, sausage, bacon, and riblets, cooked in a cast iron pot with a sticky barbeque sauce, then dish up with a side of eggs and freshly baked Potbread.

Biltong and Pap - Biltong (either shaved, diced of chunks) with some slappap (maize porridge).

Breakfast Sosaties - a skewer/kebab with sausage, wrapped in bacon with cherries, on the braai served with bread and eggs and fruit.

There's so many options around... it's hard to narrow it down.

Oh and before I forget, The previous night's braaivleis make awesome breakfast leftovers...
Mate. Wow

As someone who doesn't like baked beans (can't hack the texture) or eggs (can't get past the sulphurous smell), fry ups are a bit of a non-starter for me unless I cook it myself, substituting tinned spaghetti for the beans for some liquid (slightly more savoury than "bean juice too IMO) and leaving out the eggs.

Sausages, bacon (smoked back) and fried bread are the only musts for me along with the aforementioned tinned spaghetti. If I'm hungry, hash browns are a favourite. I can happily eat mushrooms, as long as they're not the terrible rubbery poached for far too long kind, but don't feel like they add a lot the way most people serve them. Same goes for tomatoes, but no thanks to tinned plum tomatoes slopped out of a watery vat that's been on the heat since the cafe opened.

If time and availability permits, hog's pudding (Cornish version of white pudding) is great, particularly if fried in the bacon fat before the bread. Nothing else weird or wonderful, but I can see the appeal of lorne sausages to replace the regular ones - I find cooking sausages in a frying pan a pain. Given the rubbish skins that most sausages available have, I prefer the caramelisation that you get by losing the skin. Tougher decision if you have sausages with skins with a good snap to them.

Last edited:
There must be some vegetarians and vegans here. Interested to hear yours. Always said its something i could never do.

There must be some vegetarians and vegans here. Interested to hear yours. Always said its something i could never do.
I'd be interested in that too. I intend to on really cutting my meat consumption in the near future.

Like you I definitely couldn't go full veggie but if I could get to five or six days a week eating vegetarian I'd be able to sleep soundly at night knowing I'm doing a little bit for the environment in that regard.

I'd be interested in that too. I intend to on really cutting my meat consumption in the near future.

Like you I definitely couldn't go full veggie but if I could get to five or six days a week eating vegetarian I'd be able to sleep soundly at night knowing I'm doing a little bit for the environment in that regard.

See, I don't get that part. Why are vegetarians the only ones doing their bit for the environment?

I doubt that vegetarians claim that you have to be a veggie to have concerns for the environment. I haven't seen that on here? It does seem quite logical that those with environmental concerns might wish to adopt a vegan or vegetarian diet both from a moral & practical standpoint. Surely it is everyones responsibility to do whatever they can to benefit the environment? I also think that as we get older it may be easier to adapt your diet as you require less food to sustain your body.

I cannot speak for others , however, I think that cereal & toast is sufficient for.....with plenty of coffee

I went meat free for a while but couldn't go the whole hog to full veg/vegan (I ate a lot of vegan food but struggled to give up eggs/dairy).
My go to was always toast, beans and fried eggs. Sounds like it's missing something but it's real good.

See, I don't get that part. Why are vegetarians the only ones doing their bit for the environment?
Meat and Dairy farming counts for something like 15% of the world's carbon emissions, beef being the worst offender because of the amount of methane cows produce in addition to the already harmful processing and packaging of the meat. Now a vegetarian diet isn't perfect either, the recent surge in popularity of quinoa for example has led to deforestation but unless you're out hunting on horseback for your food, which isn't exactly an option in suburban Dublin, the veggie option will more or less invariably be the one with the lower carbon footprint.

It's only something I've realised myself in the last year or so but I've read enough expert opinions saying things like cutting beef from your diet would be better for your carbon footprint than stopping driving for it to catch my attention on the subject.

After this becomes well established I think domesticated animals will be next on the warpath for environmentalists... That one will be bitter!

Meat and Dairy farming counts for something like 15% of the world's carbon emissions, beef being the worst offender because of the amount of methane cows produce in addition to the already harmful processing and packaging of the meat. Now a vegetarian diet isn't perfect either, the recent surge in popularity of quinoa for example has led to deforestation but unless you're out hunting on horseback for your food, which isn't exactly an option in suburban Dublin, the veggie option will more or less invariably be the one with the lower carbon footprint.

It's only something I've realised myself in the last year or so but I've read enough expert opinions saying things like cutting beef from your diet would be better for your carbon footprint than stopping driving for it to catch my attention on the subject.

After this becomes well established I think domesticated animals will be next on the warpath for environmentalists... That one will be bitter!

I hear you. But let's take the continent of Africa as an example, and add to that the famous words of Mufasa in the Lion King, when he talked about the Circle of Life. Overgrazing of animals is also an issue, and should those animals in their natural habitat not be culled and be used for their meat, there will be bad ramifications for the environment as well. The meat eaters of the world are also doing their part for the environment, and their industries are also looking at ways to improve their carbon footprint.

When I was fresh out of high school, I worked at a cattle feedlot just outside of town. But we didn't just make cows fat and send them off to the abbatoir. No, we used their manure to assist the farms around the feedlot to provide their crops with manure in order to aid growth. We also sold that manure to the people in town, to feed their lawns and gardens. And lastly, we had our own Lucerne plantations to feed the cattle which was planted on the previous year's grazing station.

Now people who have this tirade on social media about people shooting and hunting animals and taking pictures with their trophy, I have no time for them as they are so narrowminded in their approach to lambasting a guy just for posting that photo, they have no idea of what's going on behind the scenes.

But before we digress too much off topic.

I went meat free for a while but couldn't go the whole hog to full veg/vegan (I ate a lot of vegan food but struggled to give up eggs/dairy).
My go to was always toast, beans and fried eggs. Sounds like it's missing something but it's real good.
No its not missing anything, beans on toast is a favourite of mine im actually going to have it for lunch :). Although if your going full english its missing stuff.

Appologise for raising this question as this is a food thread not an environmental protection thread :) by all means start one and debait the evironmental pros and cons of this subject. Not saying its not a big issue or doesnt matter im just saying i dont think this is the place. I want to hear about pork sausage vs quorn sausage! :)

Aye, it's factory farming that's the issue. It's absolutely possible to eat meat sustainably if you source locally etc. etc.
Factory farming is a massive massive issue though, environmentally and ethically.

No its not missing anything, beans on toast is a favourite of mine im actually going to have it for lunch :). Although if your going full english its missing stuff.

Appologise for raising this question as this is a food thread not an environmental protection thread :) by all means start one and debait the evironmental pros and cons of this subject. Not saying its not a big issue or doesnt matter im just saying i dont think this is the place. I want to hear about pork sausage vs quorn sausage! :)

Yeah, sorry about that.

I forgot about another favourite of mine. Boerewors! Boerewors with anything else is also a very popular choice in SA.

Ah I think meat and the environment is fair game to discuss, many people are unaware of the harm. But I've more or less said what I think and with the exception of beef farming I don't disagree with you Heineken, but the ozone layer is fighting a losing battle with cow farts regardless of how sustainable the farm is! Eating a top quality steak is perfectly fine every now and then in my book but eating McDonalds or shitty minced meat not so much. (and for the record I eat more of the former through laziness/drunkenness every couple months or so and definitely need to improve my habits so I'm not preaching or looking down my nose at anyone)

Yeah, sorry about that.

I forgot about another favourite of mine. Boerewors! Boerewors with anything else is also a very popular choice in SA.
Pap, eggs(sunny side up, top of pap) with a nice long piece of proper boerewors!!!And we go big...proper hump of pap with 4 fried eggs!

PS:Vegan is old Bushman word for bad hunter.......

Re: veganism, the Netflix documentary Cowspiracy really opened my eyes about lots of things. Well worth watching IMO. If I had more of a social concience, I would be vegan, being a terrible human being, I haven't changed my habits at all and still eat more meat than a dietician would say is good for me.

Re: veganism, the Netflix documentary Cowspiracy really opened my eyes about lots of things. Well worth watching IMO. If I had more of a social concience, I would be vegan, being a terrible human being, I haven't changed my habits at all and still eat more meat than a dietician would say is good for me.
It really seem that cow farming is so much worse than even other animals. Which is good, because I couldn't quit pig or chicken.
I've reduced my cow produce significantly; only get milk/beef from the local farmer; and a LOT less than we used to. Have switched about half of my cheese consumption across to goat/sheep cheese (and most milk to almond milk - except tea). I'll never be capable of going full veggie, let alone vegan.
Otherwise, I don't have a car, don't have children and fly about once a decade; so I think I'm ahead of the game on the whole.

Pointing out to my eco-warrior brother and sister-in-law that not having kids was about the most environmentally friendly thing a person can do, was... fun.

It really seem that cow farming is so much worse than even other animals. Which is good, because I couldn't quit pig or chicken.
I've reduced my cow produce significantly; only get milk/beef from the local farmer; and a LOT less than we used to. Have switched about half of my cheese consumption across to goat/sheep cheese (and most milk to almond milk - except tea). I'll never be capable of going full veggie, let alone vegan.
Otherwise, I don't have a car, don't have children and fly about once a decade; so I think I'm ahead of the game on the whole.

Pointing out to my eco-warrior brother and sister-in-law that not having kids was about the most environmentally friendly thing a person can do, was... fun.

Good point re: cows. As you present things, maybe I'm not so bad as I made out. If fly a little bit more than you do, and eat beef maybe 1.5 times a week. Me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/dave_angel.shtml

Latest posts