Beausejour Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia
New Zealand beat Kenya by 148 runs

Thu 22 19th Match, Group C - Canada v New Zealand
New Zealand beat Canada by 114 runs

Sat 24 23rd Match, Group C - England v Kenya
England beat Kenya by 7 wickets (D/L)

If I weren't saving for uni I would have gone down as it falls right on school holidays. Would have been fun to get drunk and support both Canada and New Zealand. Hopefully John Davidson comes up big again this time around. West Indies and NZ fans won't forget the heroics of Mr Davidson. Canada nearly beat the West Indies and came pretty close against NZ as well. He's one of only 4 players on the team that were actually born in Canada. Should be fun though, especially because Canada is going to beat Kenya.

cricket is growing in popularity in the major centers too all the immigrants coming to Canada bringing there games with them :)

whoa whoa who, we have a national cricket team?
[/b]

Yep. I went and watched them during the shortest ever World Cup match in 2003 when they got destroyed by Sri Lanka. :D

I got the impression cricket was some way behind rugby in terms of development.

new zealand had a good warmup against bangladesh.

bangladesh winning by 2 wickets o_O

o_O o_O o_O o_O

wtf

oram scoring 88 so thats a good sign for his finger :)

it could have been a lot worse too. at one stage black caps were 75-6 until oram and mcCullum put on a 105 run partnership. seems like it slipped away at the end for the black caps in the bowling. with one of the bangladesh tail enders smacking 30 off 14 balls.

full match report http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/1014097

I don't think its too much of a concern as a few sides have also struggled a fair bit in their warm up games too. a good wake up call though, can never let the guard down against the weaker teams

its going to be more interesting than we think this world cup

Bangas upset and Ireland nearly toppling the Saffas

its very interesting indeed

And love that Fatass Burmuda pie angle - 120kg spinner

what a legend!!!

Hope he is in BLIC

Bermuda Pie Angle got 3 for 32 off 10!!!! what a bloody legend!!!

Apparently he's a policeman lol.

nz beat sri lanka by 18 runs in their final warm up. good result, black caps were without dan vettori and sri lanka were without sanath jaiyasuria

add to that, gillespie is still suffering from a nerve virus and maybe in real doubt for any of the world cup. and fulton did an oram and stuffed up a catch and is in doubt for the first match which is a bit blow since he has scored 3 fifties in his last 4 innings. It is to be thought as its not as bad as orams broken finger :)

yeah gillespie and fulton almost certain to miss the first game against england. this will also be the cruical game as the loser will finish second in the group and presumably harder games in the next round

nope not harder games in the second round, just playing teams that wearnt in their pool. the winner of that game just carries over their points to the super eight stage.

oh cricket is way behind rugby in terms of development you gotta goto the major cities such as toronto, vancouver, montreal to play or at a university. Rugby in Canada has a cult following in this country and is a lot more popular then cricket. Most towns and cities in Canada have a rugby club and some clubs are very old, aswell university rugby is huge in Canada and most high schools all field rugby teams now.

Biggest problem our nation has right now is a lack of funding for the sport, a large geographic area which makes logistics a nightmare, and a short season due to bad weather. The new IRB funding and increased sponsorship though is proving to be a very useful asset for Canada as we are seeing an improvement in our national youth academies and we now field U17, U19, and U21 teams with high performance programs, great coaching, and well funded programs with a core group of selected players identified from high school rugby to begin molding them for higher levels of rugby.

Rugby is also recieving increased funding at the university level where in BC and Ontario it is now a full varsity sport at schools and students are recruited under scholarship to ply their rugby trade. More and more Canadians are beginning to ply their rugby skills overseas now in French, English, Italian, and Celtic sides and it is hoped that this will further increase our national teams development. We even had two players playing in the NPC two summers ago. The North American 4 was also launched last year and it is expected to increase to 6 in the next few years and then to 8 with Franchises being awarded to select cities with the hope that by 2010 or sometime after that North America finally has a firmly established professional league to groom rugby players in.

oh cricket is way behind rugby in terms of development you gotta goto the major cities such as toronto, vancouver, montreal to play or at a university. Rugby in Canada has a cult following in this country and is a lot more popular then cricket. Most towns and cities in Canada have a rugby club and some clubs are very old, aswell university rugby is huge in Canada and most high schools all field rugby teams now[/b]

In terms of player development rugby is far and away ahead. In terms of popularity, well that can be argued. As you know Canada is a very multi-cultured country and in Toronto there are a huge number immigrants from countires like Pakistan, India and the like. In fact it there are so many that a cricket channel is very likely and there were serious talks of one. A cricket channel is going to be here long before a rugby channel will.

Biggest problem our nation has right now is a lack of funding for the sport, a large geographic area which makes logistics a nightmare, and a short season due to bad weather. The new IRB funding and increased sponsorship though is proving to be a very useful asset for Canada as we are seeing an improvement in our national youth academies and we now field U17, U19, and U21 teams with high performance programs, great coaching, and well funded programs with a core group of selected players identified from high school rugby to begin molding them for higher levels of rugby.[/b]

The IRB funding is going to waste. You may not know but every dollar of that multi-million dollar donation a few years back went right into the top mens team. Not a penny of that went into grassroots programs or even into national junior teams. A year back I was playing rugby for Ontario and that costed me something like $1200+ for the summer. If I had been selected for team Canada it would have costed me an additional $500 for a week long training camp. I'm sorry but that big cash money from the IRB should be funding that.

Another thing is that not all the best high school players are playing for their provinces and as such aren't playing for Canada. I captained a team that went 22-0 in high school and won the provincial championship. Only one player(me) tried out for Ontario. Four or five more players could have made it. So if you take into account that one or two players here and there aren't trying out, that adds up. Because of this team Canada shoudl be scouting at high school games to make sure the best players play.

We have the same problem in quebec. Our province actually rates third behind BC and Ontario in terms of number of high school rugby programs, but the high school players just aren't getting recruited to play on the Quebec squad, as a result we have a shitty team with lots of potential every year. There's also a question of what the IRB funding is letting us do. They give it to us to improve our senior sides. What happens is not the IRB funding which makes Canada age-grade easier to afford, but the money RC saves on funding its senior teams goes towards to the other levels. I think that things are still moving well, with the NA 4, the U20 RCSL starting this year, I think we're going to see a change.

ok not to be annoying but this is a cricket thread.

Canada 199 all out after 50, Kenya 144/3 33.2

Looks like Kenya will easily beat the canadians in this one. GEF Barnett scored 41 for the Canadians to be the top scorer. At least there were no ducks :)
just 3 run outs in the end o_O

some black cap news. fulton has declared himself fit and will proabbly play. macMillian got a yorker on the toe from bond and has severe brusing and will most likely miss the game against england. gillespie is also ruled out of the first game.

and it looks like anderson is out for the first game against new zealand with a broken finger.

Latest posts