• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World League First 15 and a couple other Qs

U

USArugger

All,

I am curious who everyone uses for their first 15 when they initially start World League before making any transactions. Please post with recommendations. I switched them around a lot last night and ended up with all by speedy backs playing instead of the ones with higher ratings (cheesy I know)

Where is Nawali??? My favorite fast guy who was always good for 2-3 knock-ons per game....

What positions do you buy first? I bought Murray at SR first because my line-outs were horrendous.

I'm glad to see that my old buddies Donnison, Zwicker, Evans, etc... are all back.

Finally, any bargain players out there who are pretty good that you have a shot at early?

Originally posted by USArugger@Mar 13 2006, 07:34 PM
I'm glad to see that my old bussies Donnison, Zwicker, Evans, etc... are all back.
I didn't get Donnison or Zwicker when I started as Bristol (felt like part of me was missing :rolleyes: ). I did get Nawali though, who scores tries as well as anyone when he catches the ball.

Mabye it makes a difference who you pick to begin with, or perhaps it's just random which of the fictional gang you get.

Originally posted by USArugger@Mar 14 2006, 06:34 AM
All,

I am curious who everyone uses for their first 15 when they initially start World League before making any transactions. Please post with recommendations. I switched them around a lot last night and ended up with all by speedy backs playing instead of the ones with higher ratings (cheesy I know)

Where is Nawali??? My favorite fast guy who was always good for 2-3 knock-ons per game....

What positions do you buy first? I bought Murray at SR first because my line-outs were horrendous.

I'm glad to see that my old buddies Donnison, Zwicker, Evans, etc... are all back.

Finally, any bargain players out there who are pretty good that you have a shot at early?
So it's all random who you get? Damn this game... What good is that? Actually I like it.

WTF is form? Is it like he is getting tired or something and I need to sit him for a game or two? Is there any way to get his form higher once it drops? How about morale. Any tips for keeping them happy. This world league team management part is "interesting". I started on club level just so I could earn all kinds of points and do a little "Recon" of the game before I start for real.

I see they put the ages on guys. Do they get old and get worse and finally retire? Do young guys get better?

Guys dont age or get worse, and young guys dont get better. Morale and form effect on field performance and you can keep them high by winning, and scoring tries with the particular player whos form you want increase.

Being in form is somewhat similar to a hot streak. You know, is your player having the season of his life? or is he in a slump. Thats what form is about.

I'd love for them to age and retire or blossom from a young talent, but sadly dave hodge and his crowd are going to be on my roster for an age to come, as this feature isn't added.

It would make it great to have it like fifa, but it seems it was rushed, just like the menus.

BM

It's not random who you get... It's just the best players that were in your team are replaced by their respective shithouses...

I had Nawali, and was very proud of the fact that he never knocked the ball on at all.... And for nearly half the first season he played at centre!

Anyway, I have moved on from Clermount to the Bulls, so I can't remember what I did... All I know is that with Clermont I built up a very respectable team indeed. They had no great players, but many were in their mid-80's for rating. Late 70's.... No well known players.... Took them all the way up to Div 1 before accepting an offer from the Bulls.

With the Bulls, R. King scored a massive 10 tries in my first season with them. Habana was slipping behind with just 5, and Paassens was playing every game like it was his last... On his last game for me he scored a hattrick. I then replaced his starting lineup status with Caucau, who then played like **** for me. My backline currently stands at:
9 Januarie
10 Hougaard/Tsimba (rotating between them)
11 Habana
12 King
13 Gear
14 Caucaunibuca
15 McRae/Toeava

Do you think I'm meeting the quota system? Quite often I find myself playing with an All Black backline.... HA!!! Great joke right there...

My forward pack I'm still playing around with...

I have the likes of Jack, Matfield, Sheridan and Parisse. They're all mainstayers... Just have to fiddle around....

What was this thread about? Oh yeah....

Form seems really important in this game... However, does anyone else have the problem that their front rows are usually playing at 40-60 form, whereas their entire backline play at their late 80's-90's form? It's really annoying, as it seems that the only way to get their form up is to score tries/make big long breaks with them...

My props are at between 35-45 for form and my whole backline is 80-90. I think you do have to score to improve your form. Seems foolish to me.

I still can't get the plays to work right. Any "set-plays for dummies" advice anyone? I hit the play, and then get the ball to the #10, the button symbols pop up and I hit the button and it is always a knock-on.

What plays do you use that actually work???

I like miss-pivot or loop.
but loop is hard to get cause the defence seems to come up really quick

I like the miss-pivot.

The only ones I seem to get right are the miss-pivot, classic, miss and the cross kick 40% of the time.

Cross kick is very useful if you are near the oppositions 22 and you see the defensive line start to shuffle in. It takes the longest to implement so my suggestion is to press it as the ruck is formed if it looks like you have space, and if the defense spreads wide, then pop the ball to a forward or something...

Currently playing as the Chiefs

backline is as follows:

9: Nutbrown
10: P Wallace/Heffler (wallace gets injured a lot!!)
11: Tahana
12: Nawali
13: Lombard
14: Masaga - scored an incredible 18 tries in his 1st season on Elite.
15: S Kefu

Didn't do too badly, in season 1 - came second to Edinburgh and won the knockout cup - now have over 1.5 mil to spend next season.

Forwards are all pretty stock - have donnisin, zwicker, bought Lauaki and Borthwick - best scrummager props i could and Hohneck as the other SR

had my first 2nd Div match against the Blues - won 50 - 19 - massive in attack and need to shore up the Defence to conquer all!

My backline at Bristol is shaping up nicely...

9. Perry (great that you start with him)
10. Hayes (good buy, solid boot)

11. Wallace (bought him from some Italian team, good speed)
12. Kefu (Another good buy)
13. Cox (In your squad to begin with, good speed)
14. Nawali (Needs no introduction)
15. Anesi (Excellent buy)

I'm on pro level playing the elite division with Chiefs. Four games left to the trophy then its on to Elite play. But because I'm on pro, I haven't lost a single game and I've got mad money. Here's my starting XV:

1Sheridan
2Willis
3B.Young
4Chris Jack
5Matfield
6Burger
7McCaw
8G.Smith
9Kelleher
10Carter
11Caucau
12O'Driscoll
13Nonu/Mauger
14Habana
15Muiliana/Toevea

I need to enjoy this now, I don't think I'll be as quite successful on Elite.

I've just gone about rebuilding the edinburgh gunner to what they were before

1 Jacobsen
2 ***terell (not enough line out ball from hall)
3 Hewitt
4 Kellock
5 Murray
6 Blackadder
7 Strokosch
8 Taylor
9 Blair / Cusiter (i merged borders in too)
10 S.Jones (no decent kicker without paterson)
11 Southwell (was pyke but he got injured for TWO years
12 Webster
13 Di Rollo
14 Danielli
15 Leonelli

The only gunners i dont seem to have now is paterson and hogg (any others)

I mainly did this because i thought i would be more of a challenge to limit myself, so in doing this i am enjoying it alot more than i would with Carter etc.

I had a good offer from the ospreys and i miss clicked it and said no. Now i get bourgoin and castres so i dont bother.

BM

I took a job as leicester in the top division on elite level, after a season ive amassed the following team

1 de villain
2 davies
3 white
4 kay
5 vickerman
6 berger
7 mccaw
8 smith
9 gregan
10 wilkinson
11 robinson
12 carter
13 umaga
14 williams
15 henson

finding it so easy now i have to set myself targets like forfeiting the 1st 4 games in a season to try and win the league with a handicap and also trying to score a point per minute in each match....makes it a little more interesting :rolleyes:

still losing too many scrums though since i cant seem to be able to buy the best front row and second row players in the game :angry:

i wish theyd made up a really difficult level, i mean REALLY difficult level, as an unlockable once all trophys are won or something :wah:

Originally posted by Mala@Mar 15 2006, 07:01 AM
1Sheridan
2Willis

4Chris Jack
5Matfield

7McCaw

9Kelleher
10Carter
11Caucau

14Habana
15Toevea
LOL

I have those players....

im only in div2

1. bands
2. mealamu
3. vd linde
4. muller - great value for money
5. cockbain
6. holah
7. luaki
8. some random

9. made up dude
10. old mate hefler
11. random who cant catch
12. rathbone
13. bobo - cheap fast and can catch
14. tutu vodo - fijian bargain buy
15. damm

to start off with i put Berti at fly half. He's an even worse goal kicker than Heffler, but a better player and i miss goal kicks with heffler anyway. I started with Worcester so didn't get Nawali but got two other fast wingers. Now in the elite division i've got enough quality players for two great sides.

Originally posted by stormmaster1@Mar 15 2006, 09:49 PM
to start off with i put Berti at fly half. He's an even worse goal kicker than Heffler, but a better player and i miss goal kicks with heffler anyway. I started with Worcester so didn't get Nawali but got two other fast wingers. Now in the elite division i've got enough quality players for two great sides.
Same here - Berti can kick the leather off the ball and keep the opposition in the corners for those first few vital games where you could get tanked if you play the wrong tactics!

BOKean, I bought Bobo and Tota Vida when I was "managing" Clermont...They are champions.

I also bought Armitage.

Also, I haven't had an injury since my first season....Something worth noting.

I am Edinburgh and put in some guy named Hodgeson instead of Heffler. He sucks at kicks, but he is fast and scores a lot or at least gets into space and can offload.

I just got the game and all I can say is that the off-load has saved the game. It is beautiful. Do you ever get in mauls rather than go to ground in this version? In 2005 there were no mauls except after kicks or line-outs. I haven't played enough to notice.

Latest posts