• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Top 10's!

What about Anscombe, Priestland and Hook? Surely they all deserve spots in the top 10 too.

Would that be your idea of irony ?

For the record -:
Hook would make my list of utility backs, don't rate Priestland or Anscombe (mind you not seen much of Anscombe whilst have seen too much of Priestland especially in a Wales shirt)

I like Biggar, but second in the world is stretchier than the Russian border.

Arguably this year he's been #2 to Vermuelen, can't really contest how good he's been and Read earlier was off pace for him. I think he's back to #1 now though, he's looked great back in black and towards the end of the Crusaders seasons (last few games). Also with Duanes injury. Besides, form is temporary class is permanent.

They have both been second bested by Sergio this year, the man is ridiculous..

I like Biggar, but second in the world is stretchier than the Russian border.

Maybe not the 2nd best, but he's easily up there in the top 10. Massively underrated imo.

Superb kicking game, excellent distribution (often overlooked), surprisingly robust defense (his storming defensive display vs SA in November comes to mind) and arguably one of, if not the, best 10s under high ball playing international rugby. Mercurial goal kicker to boot too.

His running game isn't as good as the likes of Sexton, but he's no slouch (try vs France for example). Most importantly, he can keep a cool head and control a game. Something missing from a lot of Welsh 10's in recent years.

Again, to reiterate, not no.2 in the world, but he comfortably rubs shoulders with the best - But hey, just my opinion I guess!

Maybe not the 2nd best, but he's easily up there in the top 10. Massively underrated imo.

Superb kicking game, excellent distribution (often overlooked), surprisingly robust defense (his storming defensive display vs SA in November comes to mind) and arguably one of, if not the, best 10s under high ball playing international rugby. Mercurial goal kicker to boot too.

His running game isn't as good as the likes of Sexton, but he's no slouch (try vs France for example). Most importantly, he can keep a cool head and control a game. Something missing from a lot of Welsh 10's in recent years.

Again, to reiterate, not no.2 in the world, but he comfortably rubs shoulders with the best - But hey, just my opinion I guess!

I think most people would agree he's top 10 - it was more the placing of him above Sexton, Carter, Barrett, Pollard etc which was a little questionable.

No way is Connor Murray better than Smith- Perenara must be somewhere in the top 10 now also, he's such a better player than last year.

I like Anscombe don't get me wrong but whilst in NZ he was in the lower half of our top 10 flyhalves.

I want to rate Naholo as the number 1 winger in the world too but til he achieves on the international stage I'll reserve judgement.

He definitely was the number 1 winger of this years Super Rugby.

I don't rate any English flyhalves since Wilko. You know you have a crisis when you recall Andy Goode.

I like Anscombe don't get me wrong but whilst in NZ he was in the lower half of our top 10 flyhalves.

I want to rate Naholo as the number 1 winger in the world too but til he achieves on the international stage I'll reserve judgement.

I don't rate any English flyhalves since Wilko. You know you have a crisis when you recall Andy Goode.

I was joking when I mentioned Anscombe.

Andy Goode hasn't played for England since 2009.

I think the fact you said you don't rate any England fly halves then mentioned a player that hasn't played for 7 years or so kinda says it all really .

I've just come to the conclusion that because I don't watch much super rugby that there can't be any good players playing in it .... Therefore I rate super rugby lower than the Rabo12

By the way I'm not asking you to rate the England fly halves even though I believe we have a quality group of 10s at the minute it would be nice if you reserved your judgment for when you have actually watched any English rugby ....

Maybe you are getting confused with Alex Goode ? Who is a full back . If so then you are right because most Englishmen don't rate him either haha

Last edited:
What ever happened to little Toby Flood?

Top 1st 5's have to be:

1.Carter
2.Cruden
3.Sexton
4.Sopoanga
5.Pollard
6.Barrett

I heard big things about that George Ford guy last year, he was meant to come out here on tour but didn't unfortunately, no offense to the English, but they never bring their best team out here and seem to use it as an excuse when they lose.

Last edited:
What ever happened to little Toby Flood?

Top 1st 5's have to be:

1.Carter
2.Cruden
3.Sexton
4.Sopoanga
5.Pollard
6.Barrett

I heard big things about that George Ford guy last year, he was meant to come out here on tour but didn't unfortunately, no offense to the English, but they never bring their best team out here and seem to use it as an excuse when they lose.

Le Euro!

Basically he decided hanging everything on a fight for an England place didn't look as attractive as playing in France. Now with Toulouse, apparently hasn't been great.

And, uhm, not a lot we can do about injuries, really...

Le Euro!

Basically he decided hanging everything on a fight for an England place didn't look as attractive as playing in France. Now with Toulouse, apparently hasn't been great.

And, uhm, not a lot we can do about injuries, really...

Injury? Bugger, not meaning to sound rude, but more often than not, the full English squad never comes out, it's always an "experimental" side, or a "young" side. You would have to go back to 2003 RWC year since a full teams been out.

Ford had an operation when that Tour was on!

If your players were subjected to the amount of game time and week in week out intensity that the English and French players, at least, are, there would be a fair few missing from your 1st XV too!!

I do not think any player "wants" to miss an international tour of any place, especially NZ!

So too much club Rugby stops some coming over? It's a shame, we really want to see full strength sides tour NZ, they are good sides and it's good to play them full strength apart from Twickenham every other year.

Injury? Bugger, not meaning to sound rude, but more often than not, the full English squad never comes out, it's always an "experimental" side, or a "young" side. You would have to go back to 2003 RWC year since a full teams been out.

I don't know what they tell you guys down there, but last few visits have been the strongest England side available except for the first test of last year's tour when the extended season meant we couldn't play AP finalists (which ironically improved us a fair deal). If it looks experimental or young, it's because England have a lot of young players and are struggling to work out the strongest line-up - not to mention in an age where 20pc of a squad down at any point is considered average, we'll always be missing a few. Can't be helped. The era of completely full strength sides is over.

Trust me, we don't care about you guys enough to lie ^_^

Last edited:
Yup Ford had a shoulder op shortly after the end of the season, it needed to be done and it was either miss out on the NZ tour or the beginning of the AP season & Autumn Internationals. Career wise it's done him no harm he's now in possession of the England 10 shirt (unless you ask GN10 ;)) .

No Strauss? Or did you forget him?

Or Creevy. Totally ridiculous. And if Bismark is number one then im god.

- - - Updated - - -

They're not outrageous calls at all, no. I haven't seen much of Naholo and prefer more proven players for these lists, but even Kiwi seems real excited about him. Piutau probably suffers in people's estimation because he hasn't played enough rugby against the European countries but he is an incredible talent and looks set to be one of the "breakouts" of the WC.

We havent had a good selection of wingers imo for the last 5-7 years. Naholo, Osbourne, Savea and Jane (he has more a fullbacks skill set). But for out and out wingers there is no one that even comes close to Naholo...or Nadolo but he's playing for Fiji.....

If he'd been fit for the rest of the year I honestly believe if played right Naholo would of smashed all sorts of records and been the next big thing at the WC. He's a total freak not just with his running style but he seems to have a crazy sense of where to be and on the ball timing is amazing. If he'd not been injured the next few months would of taken him to another level. Hansen is gutted he went down you can tell in the interviews when it happened as he knows how much potential this guy has.

I actually think Naholo is a huge loss for us for the WC. I think with him on song and brought up to speed he'd of been an enormous handful for any team.

Last edited:
The Naholo injury hit me hard, really shattered for him and the team. He would have been the Jonah Lomu of this RWC except with more skills.. outstanding player, has a complete skill set, better tackler than Savea, better innovation, faster and better awareness and skills.. It's shattering.

Or Creevy. Totally ridiculous. And if Bismark is number one then im god.

- - - Updated - - -

We havent had a good selection of wingers imo for the last 5-7 years. Naholo, Osbourne, Savea and Jane (he has more a fullbacks skill set). But for out and out wingers there is no one that even comes close to Naholo...or Nadolo but he's playing for Fiji.....

If he'd been fit for the rest of the year I honestly believe if played right Naholo would of smashed all sorts of records and been the next big thing at the WC. He's a total freak not just with his running style but he seems to have a crazy sense of where to be and on the ball timing is amazing. If he'd not been injured the next few months would of taken him to another level. Hansen is gutted he went down you can tell in the interviews when it happened as he knows how much potential this guy has.

I actually think Naholo is a huge loss for us for the WC. I think with him on song and brought up to speed he'd of been an enormous handful for any team.

Not God but somehow I did forget him ! Creevy is number 1 so push everyone else down.

Latest posts